Computer Issues

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So what I think happened, is the screw that should go into the other hole that's pictured which is for the heat sink, got mixed up with the screw for the cover for the fan on the motherboard which is very small and shallow. I don't recall having this issue at all because I tend to leave screws like that in the piece that comes out, these screws only have threads in their bottom half and are very narrow.

1610644306511.png

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sooo... my internet provider keeps trying to send an update package to my modem, except I'm using my own, not the one they provided, so it's hosing the signal, causing repeated disconnects and modem restarts. It was happening weekly, now it's happening daily at around the same time. Fucking Suddenlink idiots. They scheduled a tech to come out today, between 11am-2pm, and guess what? THEY DIDN'T COME OUT.

Oh, and they keep billing me for the modem I returned because they closed their facility when COVID happened but didn't remove the equipment return box from the side of the building. I should go bust it open and post a bunch of shit on eBay (disclaimer: I'm not going to do that... but I should).

1-13-2021, 10:41:50
Error(4)​
"SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file"
Notice(6)​
"SW Download INIT - Via Config file ^1/DD89822E/TYPE=RES/COS=198/IP=2"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sooo... my internet provider keeps trying to send an update package to my modem, except I'm using my own, not the one they provided, so it's hosing the signal, causing repeated disconnects and modem restarts. It was happening weekly, now it's happening daily at around the same time. Fucking Suddenlink idiots. They scheduled a tech to come out today, between 11am-2pm, and guess what? THEY DIDN'T COME OUT.

Oh, and they keep billing me for the modem I returned because they closed their facility when COVID happened but didn't remove the equipment return box from the side of the building. I should go bust it open and post a bunch of shit on eBay (disclaimer: I'm not going to do that... but I should).

Error(4)​
"SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file"
Notice(6)​
"SW Download INIT - Via Config file ^1/DD89822E/TYPE=RES/COS=198/IP=2"
I'd go full "I want a refund for all of the equipment fees you've charged me, which means free service. Also I want a discount for my service disconnects."

otoh they're likely a monopoly/duopoly and you ain't going anywhere.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I leave my computer on. Come home to comp down but everything else done. On surge strip but not a ups. Computer is 2-3 years old. I can't recall if this is the one i replaced the psu one already.

Get nothing from power switch at all after leaving it unplugged for a short while. Red light from the case back though from the mobo or something, not a flash code just power light i think.

Any troubleshooting other than just finding the first shit power supply from best buy as is the only thing open on a Sunday?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I leave my computer on. Come home to comp down but everything else done. On surge strip but not a ups. Computer is 2-3 years old. I can't recall if this is the one i replaced the psu one already.

Get nothing from power switch at all after leaving it unplugged for a short while. Red light from the case back though from the mobo or something, not a flash code just power light i think.

Any troubleshooting other than just finding the first shit power supply from best buy as is the only thing open on a Sunday?
unplug all wires, and plug in like molex fans

jump this with paperclip
413a1dbb663e307987945c57a7e38090.png

if fans spin, something weird w/ motherboard, take out cmos battery and drain capacitors, if fans don't spin psu no good

if no paperclip, get twist ties from bread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
unplug all wires, and plug in like molex fans

jump this with paperclip
413a1dbb663e307987945c57a7e38090.png

if fans spin, something weird w/ motherboard, take out cmos battery and drain capacitors, if fans don't spin psu no good

if no paperclip, get twist ties from bread
Friend helped me work thru it. New psu i got nothing until i disconnected everything from mobo then it would try to boot. Tried adding gpu and its back to nothing.

So seems old psu or gpu bricked the other? Tried going back to old psu and mobo only and couldn't even get mobo led.

Every dollar was going into a jaguar downpayment, trying to find a 3070 or something is gonna be hard and expensive fruiion what i gather. Almost wonder if i can get by finding another old 1070.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Friend helped me work thru it. New psu i got nothing until i disconnected everything from mobo then it would try to boot. Tried adding gpu and its back to nothing.

So seems old psu or gpu bricked the other? Tried going back to old psu and mobo only and couldn't even get mobo led.

Every dollar was going into a jaguar downpayment, trying to find a 3070 or something is gonna be hard and expensive fruiion what i gather. Almost wonder if i can get by finding another old 1070.
did you have motherboard on-board GPU to test with or another vid card?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nope, havnt trashed parts but to me and him the add parts until it won't boot seems to make sense
well best you can do now is look at the gpu and see if the caps are blown or it "smells" burnt w/o a donor gpu card to check it out.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Afternoon computer guru's

My desktop is fucked up and wondering if anyone has any thoughts. This past year, I updated a few things on my computer (namely mobo, gpu and cpu). Had an older mobo with a 2700x this summer, 1080TI. Upgraded MOBO and cpu to B550 and 3700x, no issues. Then, grabbed a 3080 to replace 1080ti. No issues. In fact, I played through CP2077 with almost zero issues (lol). Snagged a 5900x 870 EVO SSD for storage and 3070 as I was going to wait on 3080TI (ha), sometime around these updates my computer started to hard freeze while gaming. Only while gaming. I could stress test, benchmark, and generally use PC without issues, but after some time in game (any game), my computer just totally locks up requiring a hard reset from the power button.

I've reset CMOS, run sfc /scannow, updated every driver on everything in my pc, tried physically rebuilding and resetting the parts, even tried switching 3700x out for the 5900x thinking it might be CPU or something. No dice. I even did a fresh Windows install (but saved files - maybe I should try it and just wipe everything?!). My thermals are very cool (cpu max 55 under full load, gpu in the 60's) etc.

At my wits end here - I'm not some kind of computer guru, but I know enough to be dangerous and this has never happened to me before so I'm kind of at a loss. After a few days of trying everything, I'm about to the point of selling everything in the system and starting over.... Any idea's/thoughts/suggestions?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
so you went from a 3080 to the 3070 then started seeing the issues? not exactly clear what parts you are using currently

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yup, about the time I flipped 3080 for 3070 I also got a 5900x. Right now I'm using b550, 3070 5900x

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It sounds like a video card problem. Have you tried with a different video card? Perhaps your old 1080 if you still have it

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
well, that sounds something like scalper karma. :)

• 1Truth!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Scalper? I sold the 3080 to somebody on FOH ffs.

Ya, I was afraid of that - Sold the 1080TI unfortunately, and Hekotat is enjoying my old 3080. May see what Newegg can do for me on the 3070, but probably not much.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Scalper? I sold the 3080 to somebody on FOH ffs.

Ya, I was afraid of that - Sold the 1080TI unfortunately, and Hekotat is enjoying my old 3080. May see what Newegg can do for me on the 3070, but probably not much.
I would probably try going directly to the manufacturer, see what they have to say.

This is one of those things that makes me always keep old hardware, so I can test things when something is fucky lol

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I would probably try going directly to the manufacturer, see what they have to say.

This is one of those things that makes me always keep old hardware, so I can test things when something is fucky lol
Ya, already submitted something to MSI. Also a lesson for me to upgrade piece by piece so I can zero in on what's fucked up hehe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what kind of gaming? it "could" simply be a driver issue, maybe update or wipe drivers, once your drivers are updated and you still experience freeze, then you know it's either cpu or gpu. (or even underpowered psu)

• 1Like