Computer Issues

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya I totally wiped Nvidia gfx drivers and reinstalled and it's still freezing - same PSU from before (750W Gold Seasonic). Cheers, going to try to snag another GPU and see if that's what it is.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ya I totally wiped Nvidia gfx drivers and reinstalled and it's still freezing - same PSU from before (750W Gold Seasonic). Cheers, going to try to snag another GPU and see if that's what it is.
When you've tried stress testing are you doing any that hit both cpu and gpu at the same time? I might try running a cpu and a gpu stress test at the same time. I feel like there is a possibility that while gaming you are hitting a spike in power usage from the gpu that is going over what your psu can handle. It seems unlikely that this is the case if the computer is just freezing, but yeah.

At any rate I'd try a psu first because getting video cards right now sucks, unless you have a friend with a spare you can borrow.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Springbok Springbok What errors are you getting in the Eventlog?
It may just be the unhelpful "This computer did not shutdown correctly..." variant, but who knows, there might be something else getting trapped before the hard lockup/reset. Might not even be every time, but could be worth a look.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Springbok Springbok What errors are you getting in the Eventlog?
It may just be the unhelpful "This computer did not shutdown correctly..." variant, but who knows, there might be something else getting trapped before the hard lockup/reset. Might not even be every time, but could be worth a look.
Argarth, like these below? I had it hard freeze again today and this is what I could find on EventViewer through Windows

Session "PerfDiag Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001

From what my mediocre google skills tell me this seems like a display driver

Thanks!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Argarth, like these below? I had it hard freeze again today and this is what I could find on EventViewer through Windows

Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001

Thanks!
did you do a through driver clean?

couldn't hurt to try

then download latest driver again.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I did ya, twice actually just to be sure. Just froze on me again. About to just yolo a 6800xt on eBay and return 3070

Argarth

On the verandah

Thanks!
That doesn't look anywhere near specific enough to be useful. Traces/loggers can stop for a number of reasons. Good luck with the new card.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That doesn't look anywhere near specific enough to be useful. Traces/loggers can stop for a number of reasons. Good luck with the new card.
yea at this point it's gremlins,

no joke, a "if all else fails" remove the card, take a can of compressed, and clean the slot, wipe some isoporphyl on the contacts, made some weird shit fell in. and double check power cables are shoved in real tight.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok. 6800 arrived. I have wiped the drivers using DDU. I get a black screen after a decently long light on my MSI motherboard. My 1080ti does this also but does get me to Win10.

Any suggestions?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok. 6800 arrived. I have wiped the drivers using DDU. I get a black screen after a decently long light on my MSI motherboard. My 1080ti does this also but does get me to Win10.

Any suggestions?
you got fast boot enabled? don't

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I cannot express in words how much I hate windows update. I'm pretty sure I had it disabled, but somehow it ran last night and pretty much broke everything. All of my bookmarks are gone, browsing history is gone, half of my apps no longer launch (including Microsoft apps like xbox or microsoft store). I'm signed out of every god damn program I had on my computer (spotify, epic games, steam, etc etc) and I have no idea what 99% of my passwords are. Fuck this garbage

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I cannot express in words how much I hate windows update. I'm pretty sure I had it disabled, but somehow it ran last night and pretty much broke everything. All of my bookmarks are gone, browsing history is gone, half of my apps no longer launch (including Microsoft apps like xbox or microsoft store). I'm signed out of every god damn program I had on my computer (spotify, epic games, steam, etc etc) and I have no idea what 99% of my passwords are. Fuck this garbage

Eventually, windows 10 will force an update. There used to be tricks like setting your connection as metered or in pro you could use the GPE to stop them. Now you need enterprise to stop them completely IIRC.

The password problem is 100% on you though. There are so many solutions out there that it's silly to not use one.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Eventually, windows 10 will force an update. There used to be tricks like setting your connection as metered or in pro you could use the GPE to stop them. Now you need enterprise to stop them completely IIRC.

The password problem is 100% on you though. There are so many solutions out there that it's silly to not use one.

I'm able to get into everything, it's just annoying as hell to have to login to everything again. I guess I could use last pass or whatever though, yes

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm able to get into everything, it's just annoying as hell to have to login to everything again. I guess I could use last pass or whatever though, yes

I have a KeePass file that I have synced across all my devices with an obnoxious password. Initial setup is a pain in the ass and it's not as user friendly as some of the paid options, but it works well enough for me.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
yea at this point it's gremlins,

no joke, a "if all else fails" remove the card, take a can of compressed, and clean the slot, wipe some isoporphyl on the contacts, made some weird shit fell in. and double check power cables are shoved in real tight.

Worked at a place in the late 90s that bought a new server (about 120k at the time for what would be worse than a decent phone at this point) and they paid the consulting firm a buttload of money to rewire the office with coax and put in new dumb terminals, etc. First month there is nothing but trouble. Server randomly reboots, crashes at odd times - it's costing the business 10s of thousands a day because of the down time. All of it was due to a tiny piece of copper mesh wire that had fallen inside of the server memory slot.

networking-coaixal_cable_01_mobile.jpg

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Anyone have a clue how to get my NAS to show up on Win 10 after a clean install? Turned on Discovery. Checked the SMB 1.0 etc. When I right click to add a network location I just get my PC under the browse...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Those feels when you have a 400$ cooling system and run it as normal. It works good for me.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Stupid question, but does anybody know whether Google indexes files inside a zip file? So if you have a zip file posted on your website with office files inside, does Google index the contents?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Stupid question, but does anybody know whether Google indexes files inside a zip file? So if you have a zip file posted on your website with office files inside, does Google index the contents?
i do not believe google crawls inside a zip anymore

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought a large external drive today so I can move files onto it, rather than having them spread out across several smaller drives. The first transfers from an internal SSD went fine and fairly quick. Yet now I'm moving files off another external usb 3.0 drive to the larger one and it is acting oddly. The transfers begin normal/quick, but then slow to a stop for several seconds before starting up again. So its starting / stopping throughout the transfer process. Not sure where to look for a setting that would be causing this. Any ideas?