Computer Issues

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
A couple days into undervolting and I'm sitting here wishing I had done it sooner. CPU actually holds onto PBO longer now, without getting hot enough to throttle back down. I actually had one of my cores peg just a tad over 5000 mHz the other night.

In EQ, the PBO holds at 4.8-4.9k the entire time I'm playing, on the first core (I realize it's not a very CPU intense game by today's standards).

Knock on wood, but temps are roughly holding the same levels as they were before, but performance has actually increased a tad.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I can get into more detail if necessary, but my 7-year-old laptop with AMD Radeon 8970m GPU I thought was finally just dying ends up being problems with Windows 10 / Radeon drivers. Use Display driver removal tool DDU to get rid of display drivers from Safe Mode, and it boots into Windows just fine on the Intel display adapter.

I've tried 4-5 different versions of the drivers and it'll hard freeze every time I try and install. The last version I tried caused the computer to hard freeze right as Windows was loading up. Again, loading into Safe mode and removing it fixed the problem.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? I don't remember what version of Windows 10 I was on, but it's been working for a long while on Windows 10 and just recently started having problems. :(

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would put in a new drive and load windows on it just to see what happens.
Derp. I forgot to mention this whole thing started because somehow my Windows install got corrupted. I couldn't boot into Windows, it'd freeze, Windows repair didn't work, I couldn't even format the drive, or go back to a restore point. Just could do nothing. So I put in a fresh new SSD a couple days ago and when trying to install drivers for the GPU is when I've been running into all these problems. :(

jooka jooka It very well could be. I was hoping not, but probably. What sucks is there isn't much to do at this point despite the rest of the system being still fine. :(

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm starting to get wierd black screens all of a sudden. Or rather the monitor stops getting a signal while I can still hear the sound for a bit then it locks up and I have to reboot. I did have some CPU issues a few days ago where the 5900x started overheating. Reapplied thermal paste and the temps are good now.

Will try update graphics drivers today but I hope to god my 3080 isnt starting to crapping out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm starting to get wierd black screens all of a sudden. Or rather the monitor stops getting a signal while I can still hear the sound for a bit then it locks up and I have to reboot. I did have some CPU issues a few days ago where the 5900x started overheating. Reapplied thermal paste and the temps are good now.

Will try update graphics drivers today but I hope to god my 3080 isnt starting to crapping out.
so it's not a "blip"? it's a b(lack)sod?

did you change monitors or something?

was this right after a windows update?

do the usual b/4 you go hardcore, check cables, drivers

maybe try swapping a cable or go from hdmi to displayport

if it's not any of those easy things then it's overheating

if you screen aactually just "blips" black, try this common fix for nvidia
NVIDIA control panel - Adjust desktop color settings - Content type reported to the display -> Desktop programs

Aazrael

so it's not a "blip"? it's a b(lack)sod?

did you change monitors or something?

was this right after a windows update?

do the usual b/4 you go hardcore, check cables, drivers

maybe try swapping a cable or go from hdmi to displayport

if it's not any of those easy things then it's overheating

if you screen aactually just "blips" black, try this common fix for nvidia
NVIDIA control panel - Adjust desktop color settings - Content type reported to the display -> Desktop programs
I didn't change anything besides reseating the CPU earlier this week.

It's just "signal lost" on the monitor. Could game a lot yesterday without it happening but now when I got home for lunch the screen was off and I had to shut the computer down.

Will unplug everything tonight and clean and reseat the gpu, memories etc and also switch hdmi cables.

Edit: Also I dont have the "Content type reported to the display" in the options. No idea why that is.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Could it be PSU error? I got a Corsair RM750X v2 PSU which might be on the low end for a 3080 and 5900x cpu.

It seems it doesn't just happen when gaming though as I've had it happen when it was idling in windows desktop unused.

Aazrael

What game are you playing when it does it Aazrael Aazrael ?
Happened for the first time in a game yesterday and it was ffxiv, the rest of the time I notice it is when it's been sitting idle and I try to make the screen turn on with the mouse.

It started happening after I reapplied thermal paste on the cpu though. Due to it suddenly overheating. I reseated everything during lunch break and will check if it still on when I get home.

Wondering if I messed something up when removing the AIO. Maybe I loosened a connection somewhere.

Also changed display port to another connector to see if that might help.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Might be early still to tell but so far it's been running for like 9hours and no lost signal as of yet.

Reseated the GPU, RAM and double checked the cables to the MB. And used another Display port on the GPU. The only thing I saw that was suspicious was the AIO had bent the RGB connector on the MB in a pretty steep angle, righted it up but doubt it could cause those issues.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I didn't change anything besides reseating the CPU earlier this week.

It's just "signal lost" on the monitor. Could game a lot yesterday without it happening but now when I got home for lunch the screen was off and I had to shut the computer down.

Will unplug everything tonight and clean and reseat the gpu, memories etc and also switch hdmi cables.

Edit: Also I dont have the "Content type reported to the display" in the options. No idea why that is.

I had this issue. Thought it was a shitty cable. Turned out to be the monitor needed a firmware update to handle the 4k @240Hz or some shit.

Built a new PC...issue is back. Starting from scratch and trying a new cable.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Might be early still to tell but so far it's been running for like 9hours and no lost signal as of yet.

Reseated the GPU, RAM and double checked the cables to the MB. And used another Display port on the GPU. The only thing I saw that was suspicious was the AIO had bent the RGB connector on the MB in a pretty steep angle, righted it up but doubt it could cause those issues.
lulz are you gonna put tape over the old port and write "fucked"

i did that for my old 32in tv

Nemesis

Bridgeburner

you may need to Underclock the GPU, which is a bummer, but ultimately may not be noticeable.

I had what sounds like the exact same issue on my EVGA 980 GTX FTW, and it started when the card was still pretty new.
took me a million years to find the solution. about seven, actually, cause I'm an idiot.

Daidraco had the same issue on his girlfriend's comp a few months ago, and the solution below worked for him, too.

I've had a somewhat similar issue for years on my 980 GTX. while gaming, my screen would go black, but i would continue to hear in-game sounds. then my monitor would throw up a "HDMI No Signal" error, and it was not recoverable without hard rebooting the whole system.

after reading forums and feedback from hundreds of similar reports over the years, my guess was something wrong with the power delivery to the card, or the power processing on the card itself. I was running a 1000w 80+platinum PSU, and I changed rails and made sure I was not pigtailing a single line into the card's two power inputs.

Still, the only fix that worked for me was to use MSI Afterburner to reduce the Core Clock and Memory Clock, stepping each down by -25mhz, until I was able to game stably.
View attachment 364520

not entirely sure if this would fix your GF's issue, but maybe worth a shot until the new PC comes in?

I think I ended up with both Core & Mem clock at -75MHz, but your mileage may vary

• 1Like

Aazrael

lulz are you gonna put tape over the old port and write "fucked"

i did that for my old 32in tv
I plugged it with the plastic cap. Not sure what fixed the issue but its been running 26hours now with no issues.

Aazrael

LOL! WTF? For real?
The bad port I mean, put the cap back on and tried another of the display ports. I don't think that the port was the issue though, as the whole computer did lock up shortly after the lost signal. Just hope it isnt the 3080, can you even get replacements for warranty now?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Was doing some work on my prebuilt and this seems bad…

B820CE56-4688-40E8-B57A-9934F7E55B51.jpeg
27D0C983-C5C1-4252-B7E1-5823650DB8BE.jpeg

Last edited: