Computer Issues

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have you tried a bios reset since going to win 11? Might try an optimized defaults > save and boot > then go back and reset whatever you had changed?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is from the OP, from 2012. However uhh....

my hurtz is slow, hlep.....

Every since upgrading to windows 11 my PC will run fine but then on occasion it will start running slow as FUCK. I notice when this happens, the CPU speed is a fraction of what it should be. It does not fix itself on a reboot. Instead, I have to shut down my PC, pull the power cord, cycle the power, then plug it back in and turn it on.

What on earth can cause this to happen?

View attachment 380976
it's win11/ryzen bug

d/l the fix

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
it's win11/ryzen bug

d/l the fix

This is great to know, will try this. Not sure this is the case though because its way more then a 15% drop, and it's changing the core voltage of the chip. But it sounds like something to install anyway.

Have you tried a bios reset since going to win 11? Might try an optimized defaults > save and boot > then go back and reset whatever you had changed?

Nope, will try this too.

I did re-thermal compound the chip, and made sure my kraken was circulating properly. I have a suspicion that maybe the chip was overheating, because I can't explain the problem that will keep the chip in that state unless I pull the physical power cord of the machine to fix it. I have to assume maybe its some kind of built in mechanism, however, I have an alarm that will sound at 90c and it's never gone off. I put it under stress and the highest I've been able to get the chip is 86.4c (post-recompounding it). I've been told thats kinda high but should still be well within acceptable bounds of the chip.

I'm keeping my eyes open though thanks for the help.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is great to know, will try this. Not sure this is the case though because its way more then a 15% drop, and it's changing the core voltage of the chip. But it sounds like something to install anyway.

Nope, will try this too.

I did re-thermal compound the chip, and made sure my kraken was circulating properly. I have a suspicion that maybe the chip was overheating, because I can't explain the problem that will keep the chip in that state unless I pull the physical power cord of the machine to fix it. I have to assume maybe its some kind of built in mechanism, however, I have an alarm that will sound at 90c and it's never gone off. I put it under stress and the highest I've been able to get the chip is 86.4c (post-recompounding it). I've been told thats kinda high but should still be well within acceptable bounds of the chip.

I'm keeping my eyes open though thanks for the help.
it's most likely not an error on the physical cooling b/c if you have a modern solution (i.e. fans are temp controlled) you'd hear it spin up to turbo first b4 weird thermals come around.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just the couple bits Ive watched of Linus talking about WIndows 11 - I aint touching that shit for a while. The chip you have to have on your mobo, the fact that Win 11 is trying to control your bios settings and more just sounds awful. I was late adopting 10 from 7, so its sounding more and more like Ill be a late adopter for 11 as well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just the couple bits Ive watched of Linus talking about WIndows 11 - I aint touching that shit for a while. The chip you have to have on your mobo, the fact that Win 11 is trying to control your bios settings and more just sounds awful. I was late adopting 10 from 7, so its sounding more and more like Ill be a late adopter for 11 as well.
same... hell tbh my work pc is still win7 b/c of legacy shit and no support lulz, my media pc's are win10 and work fine/flawless but i'm not gonna just go upgrade to win11 for shits n giggles

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Its for security and with all things security there's always performance hits. The "chip on the mobo" is really not a thing since, at least for newer AMD CPU's , the functionality is built into the CPU and just requires enabling it in the BIOS. I went Windows 11 and my biggest issue is functionality. They've totally fucked over UI elements/ease of use menus for..god knows what fucking reason. Like the taskbar
1636319023620.png
This is what you get when you right click the task bar. What the fuck. RIght click menus in general are just such a huge step backwards. Want to unzip a file?
1636319100074.png
This is the default right click menu. All those settings you're familiar with are under "Show more options". Why Microsoft? WHY do you need to navigate a separate option for basic functionality?

• 1Solidarity

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Alright, this is not a computer issue per se, but I didnt want to make a new thread.
Please help, if you can.
I have a lot of pdf files at work, I convert them to *.docx and they look like this
1638090178955.png

Now I need to select only the dialogue from these files, so I need to select somehow all the lines of text that start at that line I drew just to indicate here.

The fuckers that made the script made the dialogue lines and the scene lines the same fucking font. I can select all the character names, because they are all in caps but i need an automated method of selecting only the dialogue lines, and the only thing that differentiates them is that they all start at the line.

I tried converting the pdf into rtf and importing the RTF into Final Draft, but then the Final Draft crashes.
Anyone knows a solution to my woes?

Attachments

• 1638088943013.png
    1638088943013.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 5

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright, this is not a computer issue per se, but I didnt want to make a new thread.
Please help, if you can.
I have a lot of pdf files at work, I convert them to *.docx and they look like this
View attachment 384815.

Now I need to select only the dialogue from these files, so I need to select somehow all the lines of text that start at that line I drew just to indicate here.

The fuckers that made the script made the dialogue lines and the scene lines the same fucking font. I can select all the character names, because they are all in caps but i need an automated method of selecting only the dialogue lines, and the only thing that differentiates them is that they all start at the line.

I tried converting the pdf into rtf and importing the RTF into Final Draft, but then the Final Draft crashes.
Anyone knows a solution to my woes?
when i had to do that years ago the best program i found really was acrobat pro, are you using something else?

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I can open the file in Acrobat Pro DC, but how do I select all those lines of dialogue not manually? I have hundreds of files, I can do one file at the time, but I cannot do one line at the time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I can open the file in Acrobat Pro DC, but how do I select all those lines of dialogue not manually? I have hundreds of files, I can do one file at the time, but I cannot do one line at the time.
use batch processing

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I just bought a new SSD and decided to switch out the old one and use this one as my main drive. I went to the official MS Windows Installation Media site here and downloaded the Windows 10 installation thing to a USB before I switched them out. After switching I stuck the USB into a port and booted up the computer, however, for some reason, the options that came up were ONLY for repairing a Win10 installation. Nowhere could I find an option for a clean installation. And since that drive is empty, there was nothing to be done. I thought I must have messed up with the USB so I went on my laptop and reinstalled it. Same thing happened.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I use a USB stick to do a fresh Win10 installation onto a brand new SSD?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I just bought a new SSD and decided to switch out the old one and use this one as my main drive. I went to the official MS Windows Installation Media site here and downloaded the Windows 10 installation thing to a USB before I switched them out. After switching I stuck the USB into a port and booted up the computer, however, for some reason, the options that came up were ONLY for repairing a Win10 installation. Nowhere could I find an option for a clean installation. And since that drive is empty, there was nothing to be done. I thought I must have messed up with the USB so I went on my laptop and reinstalled it. Same thing happened.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I use a USB stick to do a fresh Win10 installation onto a brand new SSD?

Have you confirmed in bios that the new SSD is detected? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Honestly, it sounds like you aren't even booting from the USB. Did you make sure to change boot options in BIOS?

Daidraco

Honestly, it sounds like you aren't even booting from the USB. Did you make sure to change boot options in BIOS?
I was thinking that as well? I feel like its something very simple, but since I'm not looking directly at it .. Im kind of at a loss.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a sure fire fix to deal with a multiple monitor set up where open apps/windows move to different screens upon waking up? I believe it has something to do with the displayport.

Daidraco

Anyone know a sure fire fix to deal with a multiple monitor set up where open apps/windows move to different screens upon waking up? I believe it has something to do with the displayport.
None of the options on here work?

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
None of the options on here work?
In my searching I failed to either find or click on that link. A lot of what I found was talking about going into and making changes to my registry, which I am not super comfortable with. Can't really deal with it at the moment, but when I get time I will try it and report back. Thank you!

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In my searching I failed to either find or click on that link. A lot of what I found was talking about going into and making changes to my registry, which I am not super comfortable with. Can't really deal with it at the moment, but when I get time I will try it and report back. Thank you!
you tried the simple method first of opening app and placing it in the monitor you want it to default to, unmaximize it (make sure it's not full screen) then closing it right?

you believe it's a dvi/hdmi issue?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think this is actually fixed in Windows 11, as it has all sorts of multi-monitor workspace fixes, particularly for machines that dock/undock frequently, not that I recommend 11 for any other reason.