Computer Issues

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks will check that as well. Yea I've heard some complaints about Corsair and mine seem to have issues as well so maybe go for another brand. That EVGA one is 280 eurobucks over here for Platinum, the Gold was around 200 euros.
Not eligible for the $70 promo?

Aazrael

Not eligible for the $70 promo?
Yea it has the promo activated. But not sure how long that will take to ship to Sweden. The price I listed was at a local shop. Will check and see what the delivery time is, but the shipping might make it even more expensive sadly.

Aazrael

Pulled the PSU extension cables yesterday and haven't had a crash so far in 2 hours of gaming. Saw some posts when I was googling that bad quality cables could make the PC crash. I hope that was the solution, will continue checking for a new PSU but now I don't feel in a hurry to replace it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We migrated our project servers to the cloud last year. I think its called Panzura or azure?

Came in to work this morning and everything was inaccessible with a readme.txt file saying we got hit with "CONTI" virus and to send them that sweet, sweet monies if we want our files back.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

We migrated our project servers to the cloud last year. I think its called Panzura or azure?

Came in to work this morning and everything was inaccessible with a readme.txt file saying we got hit with "CONTI" virus and to send them that sweet, sweet monies if we want our files back.
Change access, block outside AND inside sources, revert to last recoverable. Thats the jist anyways. My last company got hit with a similar situation. If none of that works, thoughts and prayers.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Started getting wierd crashes yesterday. First the computer started rebooting when playing Fortnite with some friends. Just black screen and it restarted.

Turned off PBO and clocked down the memories some but today my old problem of the monitor losing signal all of a sudden (and the game closes eventually but Windows and Teamspeak is still going). Have to restart to get the screen back online.

From googling the issue most people having similar issues point toward the PSU. I got a corsair RM750W but maybe it's starting getting bad and cant supply enough power?

I got a 5900x and a MSI Ventus 3080 and 750W might not be enough?

Got no spare PSU to try out with so leaning on buying a new one, 850W or higher.
I'd recommend downloading HWInfo64 and monitoring temps. It definitely sounds like something is getting "too hot" or not enough power. That'll tell you if it's CPU or GPU.

Aazrael

I'd recommend downloading HWInfo64 and monitoring temps. It definitely sounds like something is getting "too hot" or not enough power. That'll tell you if it's CPU or GPU.
I got the computer working now. After I pulled the psu extension cables it stopped crashing. Must have been bad quality cables/contacts that made the power drop.

Haven't crashed once since I removed them. Maybe better to buy modular cables with the color I want instead of extending them, or I'll just sat fuck it and leave them ugly and bunched up as they are now!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll just sat fuck it and leave them ugly and bunched up as they are now!
One thing I found after building my new comp last year is that the novelty of all that wears off pretty quick. I'm a huge sucker for RGB, went with a white build, cleaned it up, synced up the fans, the whole 9 yards. After about day 3 I quit giving a fuck and I pay about as much attention to it as I did my 20 year old, hunk of shit "Centurion" all-metal case that housed my 3570k and had the airflow of an old T-34.

Sure, it looks "neat" in the room when the lights are off and I'm vibin' on that sweet electric cabbage. And it looks cool if I wanted to take a picture or put up a video on YouTube. Other than that? I feel like it was a lot of wasted effort and my next build will probably be pretty plane-Jane or just prebuilt.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
One thing I found after building my new comp last year is that the novelty of all that wears off pretty quick. I'm a huge sucker for RGB, went with a white build, cleaned it up, synced up the fans, the whole 9 yards. After about day 3 I quit giving a fuck and I pay about as much attention to it as I did my 20 year old, hunk of shit "Centurion" all-metal case that housed my 3570k and had the airflow of an old T-34.

Sure, it looks "neat" in the room when the lights are off and I'm vibin' on that sweet electric cabbage. And it looks cool if I wanted to take a picture or put up a video on YouTube. Other than that? I feel like it was a lot of wasted effort and my next build will probably be pretty plane-Jane or just prebuilt.
I quit caring a long time ago. I got a giant case...Haf XB Evo. Top and side panels come off and it takes seconds to do anything vs minutes with a regular case. This one isn't mine, but you can see how easy it is to get to anything. Also runs very cool and nearly silent.

dgf.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I quit caring a long time ago. I got a giant case...Haf XB Evo. Top and side panels come off and it takes seconds to do anything vs minutes with a regular case. This one isn't mine, but you can see how easy it is to get to anything. Also runs very cool and nearly silent.

View attachment 397199
I've thought so many times about getting a cube case like that

Daidraco

I've thought so many times about getting a cube case like that
That case doesnt look too bad, but my Media Center PC's case is a bit smaller than that and it was an absolute nightmare trying to get everything in it. Wiring, or pieces of hardware that would be just normal every day kind of installs would end up causing me to remove everything I've installed before and restart. Then, after all that - I thought it was smooth sailing from there and then I'd catch Tourette's syndrome cause I just found another issue causing me to restart again. That little fast fucker has good temps and fits perfectly in its little cubby, but never doing that build again and I'll probably sell it rather than upgrade it.

The Linus video on his media center PC build made it look annoying, but after doing my own, I feel like he chopped out a good 3 hours of cussing in that video.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Someone remind me what the fix is for G-Sync or multi monitor on wake up from sleep. No idea why this has resurfaced as I haven't changed anything that comes to mind.

On wake up the monitor acts like it is reconnecting again and all the windows are rearranged to the primary. Fixed this once but short of just disabling sleep (which I've got no problem with) can't remember what the fix was.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Having an issue with a Lenovo Legion Y540. One of the fans on it was doing the buzzing chainsaw thing all laptop fans seem to do after a while when they fail, so I got a replacement set of fans (CPU/GPU).

Turned the laptop off, had the "Update and Shut Down" thing going on because it hasn't been restarted in like a week. Hit that, it shut off, opened it up and replaced the fans.

I turn it back on after that, and...it just sits on the initial loading screen:

20220217_011801.jpg

About two hours and counting now. Though I did turn it off and back on about halfway through that, which was probably a mistake / started the wait over.

Not sure if this has anything to do with me replacing the fans, or if it's because of the update. Damn. Any way to circumvent this whole thing or should I just leave it on and hope for the best by tomorrow? It has the loading spinner thing so I assume something is actually happening, it's just happening incredibly slowly for some reason.

Edit: Tried some more stuff like changing the BIOS. Found that switching boot from whatever it was on to Legacy, and switching boot order to "Legacy First" actually got the laptop started on the next go. However, in Windows the battery icon had an X over it and said "incorrect wattage" when I checked that. So battery is apparently now kaput? Crazy coincidence that this happens at the same time that I do an update and install a fan.

Unfortunately, after rebooting to make sure the problem was fixed and Windows starting wasn't a fluke, the computer is back to doing the same thing as before, hanging on the startup logo. It's still set to Legacy. Now I'm wondering if I just got lucky on that one start. Shouldn't have rebooted, damn. I'll leave it on while I sleep to see if it eventually boots.

It probably needs a part switched out (battery, I guess) so I can try removing the battery and running it off just the AC. If that doesn't work it'll have to go to a repair shop which would mess up a lot of stuff I'm working on.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Having an issue with a Lenovo Legion Y540. One of the fans on it was doing the buzzing chainsaw thing all laptop fans seem to do after a while when they fail, so I got a replacement set of fans (CPU/GPU).

Turned the laptop off, had the "Update and Shut Down" thing going on because it hasn't been restarted in like a week. Hit that, it shut off, opened it up and replaced the fans.

View attachment 398878
About two hours and counting now. Though I did turn it off and back on about halfway through that, which was probably a mistake / started the wait over.

Not sure if this has anything to do with me replacing the fans, or if it's because of the update. Damn. Any way to circumvent this whole thing or should I just leave it on and hope for the best by tomorrow? It has the loading spinner thing so I assume something is actually happening, it's just happening incredibly slowly for some reason.

Edit: Tried some more stuff like changing the BIOS. Found that switching boot from whatever it was on to Legacy, and switching boot order to "Legacy First" actually got the laptop started on the next go. However, in Windows the battery icon had an X over it and said "incorrect wattage" when I checked that. So battery is apparently now kaput? Crazy coincidence that this happens at the same time that I do an update and install a fan.

Unfortunately, after rebooting to make sure the problem was fixed and Windows starting wasn't a fluke, the computer is back to doing the same thing as before, hanging on the startup logo. It's still set to Legacy. Now I'm wondering if I just got lucky on that one start. Shouldn't have rebooted, damn. I'll leave it on while I sleep to see if it eventually boots.

It probably needs a part switched out (battery, I guess) so I can try removing the battery and running it off just the AC. If that doesn't work it'll have to go to a repair shop which would mess up a lot of stuff I'm working on.
laptop right?

unplug everything, take out the battery entirely (boot from ac) no external monitors no mouse, even turn off wifi in bios, it might be caught in some weird loop (you have nothing to lose trying this)

then windows self repair to get out of that boot hang

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
laptop right?

unplug everything, take out the battery entirely (boot from ac) no external monitors no mouse, even turn off wifi in bios, it might be caught in some weird loop (you have nothing to lose trying this)

then windows self repair to get out of that boot hang

Was about to try this (remove battery entirely) and discovered that the battery was barely plugged in (and not connected). It must have gotten pulled loose when I was replacing the fans.

Unfortunately...fixing that problem didn't solve the startup hanging. It just recognizes that it has a battery again, which saves me the $60 I was about to spend on a new one. I'll try starting it without a battery at all and see what happens.

Edit: Yeah, running off AC is the same deal. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Doesn’t the Windows install media have a Repair and Fix built in or one of the BIOS options, like booting in to safe mode? Doesn’t help if you don’t have a USB already created and ready though and no 2nd machine to make one :( I had to do that once and roll back to a restore point.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Doesn’t the Windows install media have a Repair and Fix built in or one of the BIOS options, like booting in to safe mode? Doesn’t help if you don’t have a USB already created and ready though and no 2nd machine to make one :( I had to do that once and roll back to a restore point.

Yeah, no such option here. I can't even seem to get into Safe Mode, nothing that normally works works. There's a reset option in BIOS but I don't know if that'll wipe the computer or something.

I have a feeling that a restore point won't help because I think it's a hardware issue. At this point I might as well send it off to Lenovo for two weeks or whatever and let them deal with it. Hard to believe all of this fuss is over a simple fan replacement.

BTW, Lenovo Legion (at least the Y545 that I have) is a total overpriced lemon. I paid like $1400 for this thing and have had to replace a bunch of parts in only 2 and a half years. Lots of stuff doesn't work on it, like any kind of NES emulator. When I was googling about this current problem I found tons of stuff online with other people having issues with Lenovo Legion computers as well. Unfortunately I already tried most of what was suggested in these cases.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, no such option here. I can't even seem to get into Safe Mode, nothing that normally works works. There's a reset option in BIOS but I don't know if that'll wipe the computer or something.

I have a feeling that a restore point won't help because I think it's a hardware issue. At this point I might as well send it off to Lenovo for two weeks or whatever and let them deal with it. Hard to believe all of this fuss is over a simple fan replacement.

BTW, Lenovo Legion (at least the Y545 that I have) is a total overpriced lemon. I paid like $1400 for this thing and have had to replace a bunch of parts in only 2 and a half years. Lots of stuff doesn't work on it, like any kind of NES emulator. When I was googling about this current problem I found tons of stuff online with other people having issues with Lenovo Legion computers as well. Unfortunately I already tried most of what was suggested in these cases.

Bios reset should just wipe the bios settings back to default. Try creating a bootable windows USB and booting from that to try a repair.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 398878

Format c:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, I think my Galahad 240 AIO is dying. Horrible grinding noise coming from my PC and my thermals haven't been so hot the past 2-3 months. HWInfo shows the pump RPM down as low as 1900 when it should be at a constant 3300. Fucking thing is less than a year old. Disheartened with Lian Li as of late so I'm not even going to hassle with warranty. It's FAR easier and less time consuming to just eat the $100 for a new AIO.

Ordered an Artic Liquid Freezer 2. I don't like the block aesthetic, but the VRM fan is kinda cool and I really like the way the tubes feed into the block.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user