Computer Issues

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Update, looks like if I let my computer sit on the Lenovo logo for about 5 hours, it eventually does load Windows.

On one hand I could just never reboot it and just continue as normal, but various other things aren't working now. D: drive isn't even listed in file manager (I've got C and D drives, C is main drive and D is just extra storage).

I'll see if the D drive is loose like the battery was. Not sure how this stuff got loose when all I did was switch out a fan.

Formatting isn't really an option, unless all else fails.

Gonna see if I can get any Windows Repair running from in Windows while I'm on here.

What about "Reset your PC"? That seems to leave your files alone.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ordered an Artic Liquid Freezer 2. I don't like the block aesthetic, but the VRM fan is kinda cool and I really like the way the tubes feed into the block.

I just put an Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 in my machine a few weeks ago. Quite happy with it so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What about "Reset your PC"? That seems to leave your files alone.

IIRC you still have to reinstall your programs, but it leaves stuff in the documents, pictures and some other folders alone. It has been a long time since I tried that though, so it may have changed or I could be misremembering.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's a few different options when you do "Reset this PC."

Keep files, wipe everything, wipe everything but leave other drives alone, etc.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I just put an Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 in my machine a few weeks ago. Quite happy with it so far.
Yeah, really digging this 240 so far. I had my Galahad in a top mount, push/exhaust setup and switched this to a pull/intake. Temps idle around 30-31c now and hours of Lost Ark runs pretty stable around 48c, with occasional spikes to around 55c when loading zones and such. It's extremely stable, which I love. Also, even at "full speed", you can barely hear the fucker and I have a mesh case too - noise levels are great so far. My only real complaint is the pump block just isn't appealing aesthetically, but the performance outweighs that by miles.

And now that I've seen the temps, I'm questioning if my Galahad EVER really worked properly. Temps in most games were 60-80c, idle around 42c, and nothing was ever really stable. Had to turn off PBO, lower Windows power settings, etc. Pisses me off, as I probably shaved months off my CPU's life with how "overworked/overheated" it was probably getting most times. Lian Li makes great fans and I LOVE their cases, but I'll never touch one of their AIOs again, even if the 360 Galahad supposedly has "the best" thermals.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys I am looking for some Monitor Switching/Profile software for my use case and hoping FOH can help as I have tried a few apps with no success.

I have the following hooked up to my PC:

2 x 27" Monitors + PC Speaker Setup
1 x 4k Flat Screen. + Sound Bar

I am looking for software that lets me set display profiles in Windows, i.e Which Monitors are on + Audio + Scaling with a single click but can't seem to find something.

For instance here are the 4 profiles I want to setup:
2 x Monitors + PC Sound, Normal Text Scaling
1 x Monitor + TV (Duplicated) + Sound Bar, 200% Text Scaling
0 x Monitor, TV Only + Sound Bar, 200% Text Scaling
TV only, + PC Sound, 200% Text Scaling

All these functions I can manually set using Windows Display settings + Sound Settings, but it is often 8-10 Different clicks/menus and prompts. I am trying to find software where I can save each of these profiles, and just swap between them with 1 click.

Any help?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Hey guys I am looking for some Monitor Switching/Profile software for my use case and hoping FOH can help as I have tried a few apps with no success.

I have the following hooked up to my PC:

2 x 27" Monitors + PC Speaker Setup
1 x 4k Flat Screen. + Sound Bar

I am looking for software that lets me set display profiles in Windows, i.e Which Monitors are on + Audio + Scaling with a single click but can't seem to find something.

For instance here are the 4 profiles I want to setup:
2 x Monitors + PC Sound, Normal Text Scaling
1 x Monitor + TV (Duplicated) + Sound Bar, 200% Text Scaling
0 x Monitor, TV Only + Sound Bar, 200% Text Scaling
TV only, + PC Sound, 200% Text Scaling

All these functions I can manually set using Windows Display settings + Sound Settings, but it is often 8-10 Different clicks/menus and prompts. I am trying to find software where I can save each of these profiles, and just swap between them with 1 click.

Any help?
Display Fusion has this ability. I have the software, but I've never used the function, and I don't want to fuck with it, but it is there.

Edit: Looks like you need the pro license to use the monitor profiles. They have a 30 day trial on the website. You can buy a lifetime license on the site or on steam if you decide you want it. I bought one like 12 years ago when I was doing a lot of shit on different computers that let me use the software on all the computers I own. I don't use it much these days outside of taskbar stuff, but I've never had a problem with it.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know where settings are kept for which monitor programs start up in? I have a dual monitor setup and have had for going over a decade now. I have always used my browser on my secondary monitor, and until a week or so ago, after initial computer setup after a clean install, the browser has ALWAYS opened up on the monitor I last closed it on, so I never have to move it around. But then something happened a week or so ago and now my browser always opens up on my main monitor and I have to start off by moving it back to the secondary monitor. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but I'd like to be able to fix it if anyone knows how these things are stored.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone know where settings are kept for which monitor programs start up in? I have a dual monitor setup and have had for going over a decade now. I have always used my browser on my secondary monitor, and until a week or so ago, after initial computer setup after a clean install, the browser has ALWAYS opened up on the monitor I last closed it on, so I never have to move it around. But then something happened a week or so ago and now my browser always opens up on my main monitor and I have to start off by moving it back to the secondary monitor. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but I'd like to be able to fix it if anyone knows how these things are stored.
you might not have ticked "make this my main display"
eff48a0f97bba22bcb274acbc50fdf6e.png

also one last thing you can try is open the window move to the display you want it to default to, then resize it (this will force windows to acknowledge a window change), and then close it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So I guess i need to learn2build... found out that source of my restarts in my now 16 month PC build is the 3090 overwhelming the AIO and it's coolant temp exceeding 50 degrees. Only way I can keep it out of the 40s during games that use a bit of resources.

2x intake on front, 1 exhaust in rear. On top I had 3 fans on the AIO that were on intake for some reason, those have been flipped to exhaust (out the top), and have even added 3 more fans to the rad for push-pull, with no real luck (too much exhaust now anyways, right?). This weekend I was going to flip the rear around to intake, see if that moves the needle at all.

So my stopgap: I've basically turned my Meshify s2 case into an open air case and have a 7" plug-in fan blowing on it. Coolant temps stay in the low 30s under load now, which is what it idles at when the case is completely sealed.

Long story short, I feel like the AIO is truncating my airflow options. Wouldn't I maybe do better with a nice Noctua air cooler, and then balancing the intake and exhaust on front (2x 140mm) and top/back (1x 140mm, 1-2 120mm)?

How likely is it I just needed to not go with a mid-tower and really needed a full size for the proper airflow for these components? (5950x, 3090 FE) ?

1650490616520.png

I am not utilizing the bottom 3 fan positions, they are obstructed / bring air into other compartments, I question how effective they'd be at helping with any of this.

1650491323087.png

Thoughts? Other than dust bad, lighting bad, cables bad (in my defense, wasn't taking a glamor shot, was taken mid-tinker as I worked though this)? ;)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
3090s are a giant space heater so your layout is pushing all of that heat straight up into your AIO. The GPU is causing the temps to spike not the CPU. Options are case dependent but you may want to do the radiator vertically on the front or a side intake with the exhaust fans in the top.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
50's should not be a problem, if your temps are in the 50's you've got another problem

What PSU do you have?

I would probably try putting a fan in the bottom for kicks

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Using a 1050W Thermaltake. I ran through a couple of PSUs trying to figure out why it was restarting. The motherboard and CPU have been replaced in part because of that (this was the mobo I drilled a hole into the m2 slot for those who don't remember). Undervolting the 3090 for a while seemed to be a solution - but if it's dumping less heat into the case then that'd take longer to overwhelm the AIO.

It's the coolant temp that's getting to 50 (and possibly higher), I haven't intentionally run it high for it to restart since realizing that is the likely cause, and it hasn't happened since going w/ ghetto fan setup. I noticed in icue they had a built-in emergency shutoff when coolant temp hit 50. It was disabled, and I haven't always had icue installed (I know some aren't a fan) so presumed there was a failsafe restart condition in the AIO, and rarely I'd get a BIOS warning about CPU temp on restart, but once I was in the bios there wasn't anything there that was super crazy for temps as once load was gone it was dropping quickly - so still signs of the AIO being overwhelmed IMO.

Will shuffle things around this weekend, radiator front, toss a fan or two on the bottom, exhaust on top.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Will shuffle things around this weekend, radiator front, toss a fan or two on the bottom, exhaust on top.
make sure when you put your rad in front it is tubes down NOT up

wrong
4d441b139844e394604a19e33ef4d1fd.jpg

correct
143957c5a0e644869f08a28316197c8c.png

otherwise you'll have gurgle and possible damage, only applies to aio's

your meshify is actually a pretty longboi, idk if you'll have enough tubes to reach down there

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, familiar with that requirement / need. Could be a challenge because of the 3090 in the way but we'll see. I'll report back this weekend with progress / results.

Thanks!

Edit: a lot going on this weekend, probably push this to Wednesday at the earliest, for anyone coming and looking for results.

Last edited:

Sludig

New computer going fine, havnt been able to mess with it much with my move + 80 hr weeks.

Took old 850 evo ssd and plugged into a sata. Computer doenst seem to recognize it. Currently on a nvme ssd + a HDD on a sata plug. Tried 2 different sata plugs for the ssd.

Wut do.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
check your mobo manual for which sata ports get disabled when you are using nvme, likely you tried the 2 that got disabled.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Going to ask the silly question, have you tried one of these? A few times they have worked recovering my friends drives. Not the exact model I have (no idea where it is) but it works most times. Just shows up as an external drive and allowed me to snag most of the files off it.

Got it, didn't work. Flat says the drive had a fatal hardware error.

Anyone ever sent their drive into recovery experts and had a good experience for a reasonable cost? It's about a half Terabyte of pics and a few random docs I want off the thing.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Got it, didn't work. Flat says the drive had a fatal hardware error.

Anyone ever sent their drive into recovery experts and had a good experience for a reasonable cost? It's about a half Terabyte of pics and a few random docs I want off the thing.
I've sent a business drive off, but it was NOT cheap. This was a while back, but I doubt its changed. They know that if its irrecoverable data, they have you by the balls.