Computer Issues

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
you tried the simple method first of opening app and placing it in the monitor you want it to default to, unmaximize it (make sure it's not full screen) then closing it right?

you believe it's a dvi/hdmi issue?
I started having this problem too when I upgraded my graphics card. I went from hdmi/hdmi setup on the old card, and everything just stayed on whichever monitor I had it on. I would have to turn a monitor back on and drag the program back over. If I just wanted to use one.

Once I switched to DP/hdmi setup the programs move by themselves when the DP monitor gets shut off. It’s pretty annoying.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, my pc appears to be fucked. Was playing a game 20 minutes ago and the pc hard reset. This happens sometimes with this game, it’s in early access and not optimized. Sometimes I can go days without seeing it, not really sure what causes it.

Well this time the pc won’t come back up now. Powers on, fans kick on, sounds like it’s posting, then just gets stuck on the screen before the motherboard screen and never comes up. I tried f8 but just read that isn’t on by default in w10, you have to enable it first. What kind of Microsoft retard shit is that? Lol

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So, my pc appears to be fucked. Was playing a game 20 minutes ago and the pc hard reset. This happens sometimes with this game, it’s in early access and not optimized. Sometimes I can go days without seeing it, not really sure what causes it.

Well this time the pc won’t come back up now. Powers on, fans kick on, sounds like it’s posting, then just gets stuck on the screen before the motherboard screen and never comes up. I tried f8 but just read that isn’t on by default in w10, you have to enable it first. What kind of Microsoft retard shit is that? Lol
Could try resetting CMOS. If that doesn't work I would just unplug it completely for a bit. Edit: For a bit I really mean like a day

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just started unplugging shit and retrying, it eventually came back up.
yea next time that happens drain all the capacitors, turn off the power supply and unplug and turn on the pc to drain em, don't know why it works that way, science

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea next time that happens drain all the capacitors, turn off the power supply and unplug and turn on the pc to drain em, don't know why it works that way, science
Capacitors store electrical charge. When you try to power something on without more power coming in it’s going to try to use the charge that’s in the capacitors and drain them.

Now why that would fix my problem I don’t know.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So my CPU fan starts and stops with the same frequency and makes a really loud whirring sound, it's on its way out and should be replaced right

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My work PC is water cooled and I have barely done anything with it in the last 10 years. I blow it out occasionally, and the PC doesnt run hot - but Im thinking the liquid in the cooler needs to be replaced or something? When the PC starts up/restarts, it sounds like a god damn diesel engine. Then it goes away after a few minutes. That, or do I just need to replace the whole AIO? I had planned on swapping it out with my home PC last year/now, but my eyes twitch a bit when I think about paying scalping prices.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
10 year old AIO? id replace but after 10 years isnt the entire rig due for a upgrade?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My work PC is water cooled and I have barely done anything with it in the last 10 years. I blow it out occasionally, and the PC doesnt run hot - but Im thinking the liquid in the cooler needs to be replaced or something? When the PC starts up/restarts, it sounds like a god damn diesel engine. Then it goes away after a few minutes. That, or do I just need to replace the whole AIO? I had planned on swapping it out with my home PC last year/now, but my eyes twitch a bit when I think about paying scalping prices.
after 10 years most aio pumps fail and if youre not overheating by now you basically have a passive water loop heh

Daidraco

10 year old AIO? id replace but after 10 years isnt the entire rig due for a upgrade?
Ya, I pointed out in the last sentence that I would have swapped my home PC into its place back in the last year or two. It's already a win at this point for the PC lasting this long. But if it lasts another year or two while the prices settle and I can build another home PC and swap my work one out for my current home PC. Granted the work PC only rarely gets worked harder than a chrome book, so having a 3090 at work is just going to be overkill anyways.
after 10 years most aio pumps fail and if youre not overheating by now you basically have a passive water loop heh
Hehe I can build them, I just have no idea what the upkeep methods are. Ive looked at what it "could" be and some people are saying that the fluid is partially evaporated and its probably all gunked up. Or, its dying. I could replace it with another AIO, flush and replace the fluid or strip out the current AIO and put a good CPU fan on there. Was just trying to see what some folks here would say.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hehe I can build them, I just have no idea what the upkeep methods are. Ive looked at what it "could" be and some people are saying that the fluid is partially evaporated and its probably all gunked up. Or, its dying. I could replace it with another AIO, flush and replace the fluid or strip out the current AIO and put a good CPU fan on there. Was just trying to see what some folks here would say.
yea aio's are sealed at the lines to prevent as much evap as possible but it will evap due to time and plastic leaching, the impeller is probably shot or like you said gunked up.

honestly a basic noctua 12 would cool anything just as good as a aio from 10years and be quieter w/o the pump noise.

i would future proof the heatsink by getting a d15 so you can use it on current or upcoming cpus

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I get a loud static-like sound just before every sound plays on my computer. For instance, a new email coming in will go [KSSSHH][Notification Sound]. Same thing when I open a webpage with embedded video that autoplays, but that happens as soon as the page loads and maybe 2-3 seconds before the video starts playing.

Basically, it sounds like my speakers are going to sleep/standby and everytime something wakes them up, it does that KSSHHH sound. I thought maybe it was some sort of power setting option for speakers, but I can't find that anywhere.

Anyone know if this might be a computer setting issue or shitty speakers? Since this is like the 1 year anniversary of this speaker issue I've just been ignoring, I figured I'd just go buy new speakers at lunch and see if that fixes it. Just thought I'd ask here first. All the google advice I tried didn't work.

Daidraco

I get a loud static-like sound just before every sound plays on my computer. For instance, a new email coming in will go [KSSSHH][Notification Sound]. Same thing when I open a webpage with embedded video that autoplays, but that happens as soon as the page loads and maybe 2-3 seconds before the video starts playing.

Basically, it sounds like my speakers are going to sleep/standby and everytime something wakes them up, it does that KSSHHH sound. I thought maybe it was some sort of power setting option for speakers, but I can't find that anywhere.

Anyone know if this might be a computer setting issue or shitty speakers? Since this is like the 1 year anniversary of this speaker issue I've just been ignoring, I figured I'd just go buy new speakers at lunch and see if that fixes it. Just thought I'd ask here first. All the google advice I tried didn't work.
Could be multiple things. Sounds hardware related. Try some different speakers, or headphones and repeat the steps and see if its still present.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got new speakers yesterday....still happening.
so you have a static "pre" sound? maybe try this,

4d716ee14422019be6329df047c67dbd.png

click disable all sound effects