Computer Issues

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Power supply was bad, as well as SATA cable from case. Both covered under warranty. EVGA got me a new power supply in a few days with cross shipping. It has been running with zero issues now for weeks. How exactly is a person going to figure out what is bad without "testing" what is going on? I do appreciate help and suggestions from knowledgeable people on this board.
Apologies that you think I was attacking you personally. There are, IN MY OPINION, much better ways to TEST what is going on. I FEEL as though you should have used those alternatives. But congrats, have a great weekend. I love being quoted WEEKS afterwards.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
I'm having a weird issue, that I'm thinking is probably my monitor dieing. On just 1 of my 2 monitors it's like a certain range of colors can't get drawn correctly and I'm getting vertical lines in those monitors. So like this brick color in the back has vertical yellow lines in it. Monitor is the XB271HU that I got in 2018. Any thoughts on anything I could try?

View attachment 416131
Few things you can try. Plug the monitor having odd issues into another system. Swap signal cable, HDMI/DP, with another known good or new cable. Swap the monitors on the problem PC, see if the issues follow the monitor or stay with the port.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have a Legion 5 laptop and the webcam suddenly stopped showing up. Windows just assumes there's no camera and it doesn't show up in hardware.

What do?

Daidraco

I have a Legion 5 laptop and the webcam suddenly stopped showing up. Windows just assumes there's no camera and it doesn't show up in hardware.

What do?
Is it a USB connection? Do other USB ports work when it hooks up? If its not showing up on a different USB port, then try the camera on a separate PC's USB port. If it still doesnt work, its the camera. If it does work, then reinstall the USB drivers on the Legion 5. Even if its a different connector, just replace USB with that type of Port. Let us know if that train of thought works.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is it a USB connection? Do other USB ports work when it hooks up? If its not showing up on a different USB port, then try the camera on a separate PC's USB port. If it still doesnt work, its the camera. If it does work, then reinstall the USB drivers on the Legion 5. Even if its a different connector, just replace USB with that type of Port. Let us know if that train of thought works.

It's not a usb connection. The webcam is integrated.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Ya, I should have realized that considering you listed the PC. Hows Device Manager looking for it? have you did the driver suggestion?

Doesn't exist on device manager anymore. So, wasn't sure if drivers would even...

Woooooooooow, lol. So, I just did some more research and apparently there's a physical switch on the right side of the laptop.

FIXED IT.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if you can help with this.
Specs:
MSI 3060
2 x 1440P monitors connected via Display Port
1 x 60" 4K TV Samung connected via HDMI.

So basically I have this issue where once is a while if I set the output to just the TV or TV + 1 Monitor (Duplicate) it randonmly goes into this black screen loop after a random amount of time (sometimes 1st 5, sometimes after 30) where it seems like the driver is crashing reseting/the tv is flashing black and sound cutting off for about 8-12 seconds then it goes back to normal and works fine. I tried using a different cable + port on the graphics card to see if that was the issue but it did not fix the problem.

This only happens with the TV. It isn't game breaking as it always seems to fix it self, but once in a while it just stays black and requires a reboot of the PC. I have all updated drivers.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it at this point.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not sure if you can help with this.
Specs:
MSI 3060
2 x 1440P monitors connected via Display Port
1 x 60" 4K TV Samung connected via HDMI.

So basically I have this issue where once is a while if I set the output to just the TV or TV + 1 Monitor (Duplicate) it randonmly goes into this black screen loop after a random amount of time (sometimes 1st 5, sometimes after 30) where it seems like the driver is crashing reseting/the tv is flashing black and sound cutting off for about 8-12 seconds then it goes back to normal and works fine. I tried using a different cable + port on the graphics card to see if that was the issue but it did not fix the problem.

This only happens with the TV. It isn't game breaking as it always seems to fix it self, but once in a while it just stays black and requires a reboot of the PC. I have all updated drivers.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it at this point.
if you have updated drivers and updated firmware then the issue is hdmi, cable or port

maybe it's loose, maybe it's got strain, obviously hdmi sucks when compared to the click of display port, so reseat the cable and put tape on it to make sure it's not moving. they do sell hdmi cables that lock on.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
if you have updated drivers and updated firmware then the issue is hdmi, cable or port

maybe it's loose, maybe it's got strain, obviously hdmi sucks when compared to the click of display port, so reseat the cable and put tape on it to make sure it's not moving. they do sell hdmi cables that lock on.
So originally I had it DPORT to hdmi on the tv. Then I swapped to hdmi to hdmi on with a diff cable and the issue has persisted. I’ll try a diff hdmi port on the tv.

Daidraco

So originally I had it DPORT to hdmi on the tv. Then I swapped to hdmi to hdmi on with a diff cable and the issue has persisted. I’ll try a diff hdmi port on the tv.
That could be a few things. Could be a cable, could be the port itself, or it could be the TV's hardware/age.
First, look into the specifications that the TV has. Figure out what version of HDMI port it is and see if your settings on your PC are pushing the limits of that HDMI port's capability. If not that, then check not only the quality of the cable, but that the cable's version is high enough as well. You could be knocking on the resolution, the expected FPS for that resolution or any combination of which.
HDMI STANDARDBandwidth (up to)AV Capabilities
Standard HDMI4.95Gbps1080p
High Speed HDMI10.2Gbps4K24 (4K 24 fps), HDR, wide colour gamuts
High Speed HDMI with Ethernet10.2Gbps4K24 (4K 24 fps), HDR, wide colour gamuts, additional Ethernet channel
Premium High Speed HDMI18Gbps4K60 (4K at 60 fps), 4:4:4 chroma sampling, 8K at lower frame rates
Ultra High Speed HDMI48GbpsUncompressed 8K video - 8K60, 4K120

If all that is within parameters, then you could just have a cable too long, a bad hdmi port, or a bad cable. Im just essentially saying that its not the PC's fault.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
That could be a few things. Could be a cable, could be the port itself, or it could be the TV's hardware/age.
First, look into the specifications that the TV has. Figure out what version of HDMI port it is and see if your settings on your PC are pushing the limits of that HDMI port's capability. If not that, then check not only the quality of the cable, but that the cable's version is high enough as well. You could be knocking on the resolution, the expected FPS for that resolution or any combination of which.
HDMI STANDARDBandwidth (up to)AV Capabilities
Standard HDMI4.95Gbps1080p
High Speed HDMI10.2Gbps4K24 (4K 24 fps), HDR, wide colour gamuts
High Speed HDMI with Ethernet10.2Gbps4K24 (4K 24 fps), HDR, wide colour gamuts, additional Ethernet channel
Premium High Speed HDMI18Gbps4K60 (4K at 60 fps), 4:4:4 chroma sampling, 8K at lower frame rates
Ultra High Speed HDMI48GbpsUncompressed 8K video - 8K60, 4K120

If all that is within parameters, then you could just have a cable too long, a bad hdmi port, or a bad cable. Im just essentially saying that its not the PC's fault.
awesome thanks.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm having stability problems with my old worn-out machine.

Tis a i5-4590 @ 3.3 GHz, asrock z97 pro 3 I think, and 4 ddr3 1333 dimms at 9-9-9-24 (32 total).

Bluescreens under heavy load are what I'm seeing. Usually either tcpip.sys or ndis.sys or nvsomething. Prime95 runs solid but memtest doesn't.

Memtest's address test, own address sequential (test 1 or test 2 depending on which part of the UI you believe) fails 100% all the time. However I'm thinking this is some kind of hardware incompatibility because if that failed that badly I shouldn't even be able to boot.

Test 5, the moving inversions 8 bit pattern always fails in teh same spot at 78% in at around 4100mb mark. This happens always nomatter the speeds or latencies or bios twiddles. One dimm or all, tried one varying every slot, always happens.

This makes me think it isn't the dimm itself or the slot, but maybe the mechanism that shuffles the bits along. Maybe the cpu? The failure is always core 0.

My bios allows disabling of cores but you can't control which are disabled by number. So you can say gimme 2 cores. But you can't say enable core 2 and core 3 but disable 0 and 1. So I have no way to try disabling core 0 and seeing if the problem goes away.

So how are values moved into ram? Do they cross a particular bus? Does the northbridge do it? I can mess with the voltage to my chipset but I haven't tried that yet.
IMG_0208.JPG

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd agree it's the CPU most likely. Used for ~$35 shipped on ebay to find out. You could try reseating the CPU, stranger things have happened, maybe it's just a slightly loose pin.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Hmm, I don't think the cpu has budged for a long long time. I did replace the cooler a year or so back after my liquid pump died, but I don't think I took the cpu out.

Worth a try though.

I wish I had a good idea of when the troubles started but I don't. I did have some stability trouble with VRChat a year or so back and the bluescreens always ended up down in USB code. I have an old oculus with sensors so 3 sensors + helmet all cramming traffic over USB (which is a horrible protocol).

That was more than likely a symptom of whatever problem this is now. The reason I'm noticing it more now is a friend got me a new 144hz monitor. So I've been pushing alot more frames. Usually at greatly reduced quality though.

Overwatch is solid, planetside crashes very rapidly, conan takes 30 minutes or so. Empyrion is fairly solid.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
doesn't look like youre overclocking, if your ram settings are normal/conservative then bump up the voltage a tinge and/or even bump the vcore

you got a 8/10yr old computer, maybe a tiny power bump is what you need

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That's a good idea! Weirdly for ram, the voltage default for my bios is 1.65. The data sheet for my ram says 1.5.

I tried backing it down to 1.5 and even tried 1.7, but that was when I was languishing in test 2 hell and hadn't discovered test 5. I should try that again.

When I first got this machine I did do some overclocking. It was quite stable but I didn't leave it clocked up for very long, figured it would lessen the life of it. I'm a cheapass and count time in galactic circuits.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's a good idea! Weirdly for ram, the voltage default for my bios is 1.65. The data sheet for my ram says 1.5.

I tried backing it down to 1.5 and even tried 1.7, but that was when I was languishing in test 2 hell and hadn't discovered test 5. I should try that again.

When I first got this machine I did do some overclocking. It was quite stable but I didn't leave it clocked up for very long, figured it would lessen the life of it. I'm a cheapass and count time in galactic circuits.
1.5 is the voltage standard for stock speed DDR3 memory, 1.65 is for overclocked memory. And yes, higher end XMP settings are technically an overclock.

Also, did you repaste your CPU?

From the screenshot, RAM is probably bad.

You really need a new computer.

Daidraco

At worst, right now isnt a terrible time to renew your PC if you're a decade type of user.