Computer Issues

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Well I have doubts about the ram being bad since any of the 4 sticks in any slot fail in the same spot 2 minutes into the test.

I'm poor as a mudder in Jaynestown right now, and this one kinda works, just unstable.

I'm back from voltage experiments though. I took the time to get my front panel connected properly. I have this terrible case that has this power supply "chamber" with a hole to route cables through. The front panel connecter is exactly where all those cables come out in a big snake's nest.

I had to pull the board completely out so my blind old eyeballs could see good enough to get it all connected with those fiddly little assgobliny prongs.

Anyway it turns out I can change the voltage on ram, cache, vcore, and several other things that looked northbridgey. I tried them with an extra 0.1 but test still fails in the same spot. I thought I'd try a bit of conan or planetside and see how long it lasts. Not really sure how much upward one can go without frying things.

One thing I do remember about the ram. When I first bought the parts back in... maybe 2014?, the ram wouldn't run stably at 1333, so I had it backed down to 1066 or whatever the next step down was.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The voltage experiment didn't go well. Something, not sure which bit, really didn't like the extra .1 and it just kinda switched off and wouldn't come back on.

I pulled it all apart till it was just cpu and power and it finally started working again, then slowly started adding bits till it all started working again together. Then I'd put it back in it's spot, standing up, and it wouldn't power on. Repeating this several times I think it was just something loose. Like maybe the big fat board power.

It was like 4am by then, and I did a couple hours of Conan with no problems. Now I'm wondering if the switchoff was really voltage or if it was a loose connection all along. :emoji_dizzy_face:

I'm going to try some planetside today and try to watch my temps.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
45 minutes and no crashery. That water continent is godawful though, 45 was my limit of being killed through walls and by invisible people.

Temps never got too bad and it's kinda hot in here so I am really confused but happy. Thanks for all the advice!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
45 minutes and no crashery. That water continent is godawful though, 45 was my limit of being killed through walls and by invisible people.

Temps never got too bad and it's kinda hot in here so I am really confused but happy. Thanks for all the advice!
computers are incredibly durable, literally had a video card catch on fire, motherboard was still find and retired it (well it'll be another htpc) a month ago
0808221606a_HDR.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've really been pushing it hard with planetside and conan and it is still up. Even streamed some of it. Starting to think the past year or so of instability was just a loose cable.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I have a REALLY strange problem with my work laptop. I do software development, and how I usually work is I build a VMware virtual machine that runs Windows along with all my development tools. That way, if something happens to the host OS I always have a copy of the VMware image that I can fire up and get right back to work on another computer for example.

Okay, so ever since starting this job (I received the work laptop a few months ago), I've been routinely having Windows on the VM spontaneously getting corrupted somehow. Everything is fine then suddenly, one day, bam it'll boot up with bizarre issues. I make copies of a working vmdk to a backup drive so if something goes wrong I can copy back that backup and be fine. Recently, I had copied back over that backup image because I had installed some junk on the local copy and wanted to revert back (poor man's snapshot basically [I'm running VMWare Player so I can't do snapshots FYI]). Anyway, everything worked fine with that backup. So, today, magically something goes wrong. Okay, so I copy back over that backup image (which hasn't been touched since the last time I copied it back) and THAT too is fucked up. I've actually had this scenario happen a few times now and it's bewildering.

I do think something is wrong with this laptop because it'll spontaneously crash with a 'memory management' error code. I'm going to call support tomorrow and see about getting it replaced. But was curious if anyone has any thoughts on what in the world could be causing previously working backup images to suddenly stop working. I thought maybe the primary SSD could somehow be corrupting data, but I tried running directly off the backup drive and same result.

Alternatively, they could have some corporate shit software doing something weird. I remember during orientation they mentioned something about the hard drive is routinely scanned. No idea what it could be doing that would be corrupting vmdk files.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a REALLY strange problem with my work laptop. I do software development, and how I usually work is I build a VMware virtual machine that runs Windows along with all my development tools. That way, if something happens to the host OS I always have a copy of the VMware image that I can fire up and get right back to work on another computer for example.

Okay, so ever since starting this job (I received the work laptop a few months ago), I've been routinely having Windows on the VM spontaneously getting corrupted somehow. Everything is fine then suddenly, one day, bam it'll boot up with bizarre issues. I make copies of a working vmdk to a backup drive so if something goes wrong I can copy back that backup and be fine. Recently, I had copied back over that backup image because I had installed some junk on the local copy and wanted to revert back (poor man's snapshot basically [I'm running VMWare Player so I can't do snapshots FYI]). Anyway, everything worked fine with that backup. So, today, magically something goes wrong. Okay, so I copy back over that backup image (which hasn't been touched since the last time I copied it back) and THAT too is fucked up. I've actually had this scenario happen a few times now and it's bewildering.

I do think something is wrong with this laptop because it'll spontaneously crash with a 'memory management' error code. I'm going to call support tomorrow and see about getting it replaced. But was curious if anyone has any thoughts on what in the world could be causing previously working backup images to suddenly stop working. I thought maybe the primary SSD could somehow be corrupting data, but I tried running directly off the backup drive and same result.

Alternatively, they could have some corporate shit software doing something weird. I remember during orientation they mentioned something about the hard drive is routinely scanned. No idea what it could be doing that would be corrupting vmdk files.
That shits above my head. The first thing I would have thought of was that it was writing to a corrupted area, repeatedly. But you ruled that out. Mist Mist ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That shits above my head. The first thing I would have thought of was that it was writing to a corrupted area, repeatedly. But you ruled that out. Mist Mist ?
Storage device issue or something to do with the virtualization extensions on the CPU? Could be a bitlocker problem? That's a lot of layers to troubleshoot via a forum post.

Did you ShakyJake ShakyJake update the firmware for the laptop itself?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Storage device issue or something to do with the virtualization extensions on the CPU? Could be a bitlocker problem? That's a lot of layers to troubleshoot via a forum post.

Did you ShakyJake ShakyJake update the firmware for the laptop itself?
It's locked down - I can't do firmware updates.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sounds like bad memory or a bad disk (cache) to me. When you copy Windows puts shit in memory I believe, so it's very possible the message is correct.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So I guess i need to learn2build... found out that source of my restarts in my now 16 month PC build is the 3090 overwhelming the AIO and it's coolant temp exceeding 50 degrees. Only way I can keep it out of the 40s during games that use a bit of resources.

2x intake on front, 1 exhaust in rear. On top I had 3 fans on the AIO that were on intake for some reason, those have been flipped to exhaust (out the top), and have even added 3 more fans to the rad for push-pull, with no real luck (too much exhaust now anyways, right?). This weekend I was going to flip the rear around to intake, see if that moves the needle at all.

So my stopgap: I've basically turned my Meshify s2 case into an open air case and have a 7" plug-in fan blowing on it. Coolant temps stay in the low 30s under load now, which is what it idles at when the case is completely sealed.

Long story short, I feel like the AIO is truncating my airflow options. Wouldn't I maybe do better with a nice Noctua air cooler, and then balancing the intake and exhaust on front (2x 140mm) and top/back (1x 140mm, 1-2 120mm)?

How likely is it I just needed to not go with a mid-tower and really needed a full size for the proper airflow for these components? (5950x, 3090 FE) ?

View attachment 408855

I am not utilizing the bottom 3 fan positions, they are obstructed / bring air into other compartments, I question how effective they'd be at helping with any of this.

View attachment 408857

Thoughts? Other than dust bad, lighting bad, cables bad (in my defense, wasn't taking a glamor shot, was taken mid-tinker as I worked though this)? ;)

So follow-up on this issue from April... case too long to properly install radiator on the front (so that the radiator isn't forced to cool the 5950x while also venting 3090 exhaust). Has been operating fine ever since w/ just the side off and an external fan clearing it all out.

I might be able to geta 240 AIO in there, but considering just getting a nice air cooler and removing the AIO. Thoughts?

Airflow: Front and bottom intake, rear and top exhaust.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So follow-up on this issue from April... case too long to properly install radiator on the front (so that the radiator isn't forced to cool the 5950x while also venting 3090 exhaust). Has been operating fine ever since w/ just the side off and an external fan clearing it all out.

I might be able to geta 240 AIO in there, but considering just getting a nice air cooler and removing the AIO. Thoughts?

Airflow: Front and bottom intake, rear and top exhaust.
are you married to the s2? maybe if you want to go all air (which i'm a fan of) but also having a super hot cpu and gpu, get a case that is dedicated to airflow like a phanteks 500a, lancool2, torrent

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm just adhd/lazy and didn't want to rebuild it in another case, but I'm considering it, for sure. I've already swapped the motherboard in an effort to try and fix the restart issue before I realized it was my AIO/CPU (remember, that was the mobo I drilled a hole into the m2 socket...)

So yeah, may grab a nice CPU fan, and if that doesn't work I'm sure it'll get used somewhere... I've got 4 kids old enough to start asking about having their own PCs...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone have issues with their monitors creating a shift in pixels when brought back from sleep? I'm curious if it's just me, if others are experiencing it and how I can make it stop.

I usually correct it by toggling inputs from DP to HDMI and then back to DP. I had to take a picture with my phone because screenshots don't show it.
20220901_112959.jpg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone have issues with their monitors creating a shift in pixels when brought back from sleep? I'm curious if it's just me, if others are experiencing it and how I can make it stop.

I usually correct it by toggling inputs from DP to HDMI and then back to DP. I had to take a picture with my phone because screenshots don't show it.
View attachment 431051

That looks like tearing, which is normally something that happens when the monitor refresh rate is out of sync with the the frame rate from the GPU. It's not something you usually see on a static image though. Might not hurt to do a clean reinstall of your GPU drivers.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That looks like tearing, which is normally something that happens when the monitor refresh rate is out of sync with the the frame rate from the GPU. It's not something you usually see on a static image though. Might not hurt to do a clean reinstall of your GPU drivers.

I actual just did that last week, issue has been going on since I switched to these monitors.