Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There was a similar problem with (old) Toshiba laptops at a prior job. The touchpad and speakers were not insulated and touching either one could (randomly) cause a shutdown or reboot.

Try to re-insulate the touchpad and see if that helps.
That's what I'm ultimately going to have to do. Completely draining the capacitors before powering on is allowing the system to run stable for a very long time. I've narrowed it down to solely be the touchpad even though it is disabled in BIOS

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've narrowed it down to solely be the touchpad even though it is disabled in BIOS
If you have no intention of using it, it couldn't hurt to take the cable out. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but in most cases it's a simple procedure to remove the top panel and disconnect the touchpad ribbon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you have no intention of using it, it couldn't hurt to take the cable out. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but in most cases it's a simple procedure to remove the top panel and disconnect the touchpad ribbon.
Getting to my touchpad is an absolute pain in the ass on this laptop. If I go through all the work to get to it, I might as well just re-insulate it.. it would be nice if the touchpad actually worked too because sometimes I like to use it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
New one to me and hard to troubleshoot because its so intermittent. As in it happened twice two weeks ago and again today.

While playing Rift (all three cases) my monitor blanks out and the system freezes (sound goes crazy, keyboard locks etc). Whatever, crashes happen - hold down power and hard reboot. Except the monitor still has no signal. No error beeps, just the usual BIOS beep. After a minute or so the keyboard locks. This will repeat for about ten minutes before working fine again. There doesn't appear to be any heat issue with the CPU or GPU.

Any ideas?

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The computer I built has been working really well until recently and I can't figure out what the issue is:

My daughters nexus7 went blank, tried plugging it in with the USB to charge it and it crashed my desktop. Now whenever it goes to sleep and I start it up the screen will flicker off and I have to hit the source button on the monitor over and over until it sticks on Digital. Next issue is that I'll still intermittently get the warning that a unidentified device was plugged into the USB port. First is this a monitor issue and secondly could my USB ports be fried?

Silence_sl

shitlord
New one to me and hard to troubleshoot because its so intermittent. As in it happened twice two weeks ago and again today.

While playing Rift (all three cases) my monitor blanks out and the system freezes (sound goes crazy, keyboard locks etc). Whatever, crashes happen - hold down power and hard reboot. Except the monitor still has no signal. No error beeps, just the usual BIOS beep. After a minute or so the keyboard locks. This will repeat for about ten minutes before working fine again. There doesn't appear to be any heat issue with the CPU or GPU.

Any ideas?
Specs? Overclocked or stock? If OC'd, reset CPU/RAM/GPU to factory settings and go from there.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I lied. GPU is getting nuclear hot, pegging 104 C. And its a factory OC'd card that I have to underclock to stock settings to keep from crashing anyway.

Gigabyte 560ti OC. Notoriously problematic card but, this is the first time I've had it do this and I've had it for like 2 1/2 years. Fans both seem to be working.

EDIT: MSI Afterburner was showing that my voltage was set to 1.062 somehow. The factory setting is 1.040. Running a 3DMark it never got above 90c, so maybe that was the culprit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When was the last time you cleaned that PC out? I was doing some cleaning a few weeks back and took my air compressor to the inside of my PC and I got -10C across the board on all cores and video card. Dust is a bitch.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Crashed again. It appears that one of the two fans is sticking and causing the overheat. Its enough that I'm just waiting on a RMA number to ship it off, its still well under warranty.

Funny enough, my five year old GTX 260 backup seems to be running games at the same framerate. So much shit is stuck in the DX9 stone age, like Rift (because old gamebryo) and Black Ops 2 (because consoles) that they are CPU starved anyway.

Maybe next year we'll have new consoles so we can use API features from 2008.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Recently switched routers, from an old Dlink DGL4500 to a new Asus RT-N66U which I absolutely LOVE and is better in almost every possible way. However, my torrent upload speeds have gone to absolute shit. I used to regularly seed things and see my torrent client(bitcomet) uploading at 500+ kB/s, now I pretty much never even see double-digits, constantly seedings stuff at like 5-10 kB/s.

I'm not real proficient with anything networking/firewall related, anyone have some quick tips on things to check for in my new routers settings that might be slowing me down?

I know that BitComet generally reports that my listen port is blocked, but that was the case on my old router as well and it was never an issue.

BTW downloads are fine, nothing has changed there at all.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hmm, I do have upload set to unlimited, which was never an issue with the old router, but I'll try setting a hard limit and seeing if that helps.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Re-insulated my touchpad and it's working wonderfully. I think that might have been my issue with computer restarting at random, but we'll have to see. Thanks for the tip.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What's an average figure to do a hard drive data recovery? My bro brought in his wife's computer the other day, and it would appear the power supply shit itself and took everything else with it. The thing is choked with dust. About 5-6 years old. Problem is, ALL of their baby photos are on the computer (along with some music etc, meh), and she wasn't backing anything up. The hard drive does not spin up at all when plugged in to another computer, the motor or board on it is probably fried as well. Ballpark cost estimate on having the data recovered? I would imagine the platters are fine.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Hey guys Quick Q.

Got a OCZ Technology 128GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 120K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty - VTX4-25SAT as primary drive. Plugged it into my mobo SATA 6GB Intel Controller. Have SATA as AHCI in BIOS. But Windows Experience rating gives the HD a 5.9 "slow speeds" wtf

Any ideas?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sounds like you might have the wrong drivers installed in Windows. That's usually the cause of a low WEI (not that WEI is an accurate measure of anything, really).

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I installed brand new from Intel. I have two HD one is SSD the other 7200RPM SATA. Could it be that it's taking the slowest?