Computer Issues

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, on second thought, don't bother with TreeSize. We use it at work, but didn't realize it was $25+ for something you can get FOSS.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so I had this issue before and im not sure where I asked but here goes, I was trying to clean shit off my main HD, its a 128g SsD currently have 20g free but I don't have anything installed except d3 and some steam games, I purposely put all other games on my second SsD when I got it.

I think someone linked a program that scanned the HD and literally showed you exactly what was taking up the room and where it was located etc for easy removal.

If anyone could help thatd be great, im not sure how I could be using all this space, I barely have any games on steam, and only D3 installed.
i just did this,

like others said windirstat, best option and free.

turn off windows error reporting (i forget the directory to delete) it literally reported 20gigs of errors, i have no idea why(it just gets huge)
How To Disable Error Reporting in Windows 7

update your windows and you can clean up your winsxs folder
How to Reduce the Size of Your WinSXS Folder on Windows 7 or 8

other than that install ccleaner and have it attached to your recycle bin, i just right click the recycle bin (now that ccleaner is attached as an icon) and just run ccleaner and clean up random temp files/ random install files/ cache etc.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I posted this in the Fuck Comcast thread but thought I would repost it here as it might be a more "technical" issue. Although it isn't computer (from what I can tell) I though this would be the best spot. Anyway, the issue. Any help is appreciated.

So my Grandpa has Comcast TV but Centurylink internet running Windows Xp. He likes to use his Toshiba DVR620KU to record football games to watch later.

Apparently he can record stations like ESPN etc, but when he tries to record local stations (Football) the DVR won't allow him as he gets the error message "This program is unable to be recorded" E25.

I contacted Comcast about this and after a 2 minute "network" scan, the rep informed me that there was an CSRSS.exe virus that was "interfering" with the signal and that the issue was on our end. He informed me that they contract out to a 3rd party to fix this and once I was transferred to said 3 party, they would be able to set up a firewall to block the virus for $200. (Dafuq.jpeg)

First off how did a virus get on my grandpa's DVR and how is it only blocking certain signals? I know some of you work or worked at Comcast, so my question is, is this a scam or what? Is it even possible to get a virus on a DVR, or TV, or xfinity box? My grandpa did say that he tried to hook up the DVR to the computer so I guess it is possible it got a virus, but how the hell could Comcast "scan" my grandpas "network"? Is that even possible over a co-axle cable?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
LOL? Are they contracting Comcast support out to Nigeria these days?

Kidding aside, everything is done over IP these days, so sure, it's remotely possible that they can see something trying to be sketchy through a DVR, but this is where the luls start: "a CSRSS.exe virus that was interfering with the signal". Okay. There is no way that any virus can somehow modify your db levels to interfere with the signal. That's just silliness. That's like viruses jumping from computer to computer through BIOS only using wi-fi. It's snake oil.

CSRSS is the user-level part of the win32 subsystem. It's not a virus. It can be infected, sure, but the solution to this is not a firewall, it's to reinstall the system. Once CSRSS is infected, you are pretty much screwed. So, go find yourself a decent bootable virus scan CD (Hiren's can do it, I think), scan the system, and if you find nothing, this is someone trying to make money on the side.

All of that said, some trafficheresuggests that this is Comcast setting a no-record bit where they shouldn't be, and if that's the case, there is very little you can reasonably do about it (and your grandpa wouldn't want to be fucking with this, I'm sure).

Edit: More similar traffichere. Looks like Comcast may just be fucking everyone over, which shouldn't really be all that surprising.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
What I want to know is how can the dvr know to block the recording via the yellow/white/red connection. It was originally hooked up via hdmi so I tried to "dumb down" the connection so it wouldn't know. Would switching it to an s-video cord help? What about if I just said fuck it and got him a different recorder?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Because he likes his vhs / DVD combo unit and is basically old school. He knows how to operate it and he is 90 so there is no way he will learn anything new lol

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What I want to know is how can the dvr know to block the recording via the yellow/white/red connection. It was originally hooked up via hdmi so I tried to "dumb down" the connection so it wouldn't know. Would switching it to an s-video cord help? What about if I just said fuck it and got him a different recorder?
Who knows. Copy protection goes a long way back, as far as VHS, even. Remember Macrovision?

A different recorder won't necessarily solve the problem. It's the DVR that is honouring the no-record bit. You could probably output to a capture card on a computer and record that way, but even then, who knows.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Lol thanks. It just chaps my ass when I need to spend an additional $100 because of Comcast's ineptitude / greed. At least it is going towards someone who is "fixing" the problem instead of Comcast.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Just fixed my monitor from blinking non-stop, its been like that for about 7 months but it had gotten worse in the last month. 3 capacitors were burnt out which I hear is a common issue. First time soldering so that was quite an experience but overall $7 + 2 hours of my time is better than trashing a monitor. At the very least I could sell this if I wanted to get another monitor in the future.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
1934392403_What_You_Talkin_Bout_Willis_Picture_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
So desktop turns one for a few seconds...then immediately off. And then won't power on again. Then if I wait a bit sometimes it'll turn on for a few seconds again.

Likely the power supply?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yup, or a short somewhere. Did you clean / upgrade / disassemble it before this problem showed up ?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unplug everything that is not necessary. Keyboard, mouse, monitor, video card, all but 1 ram stick, etc. Basically MB, CPU, and a stick of ram and see if the thing stays powered on or cuts again. If it stays on, start adding 1 device back at a time. You can possibly eliminate a few points of failure a step at a time. You can also use a jumper to see if the PSU itself will power up and stay on.

See:
How To Jumper a Power Supply - Computer How-To - YouTube

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So one of my kids, or the wife just made my computer contract some AIDS type shit that Ihave never seen before. Its like self replicating shit that im at a loss how to get rid of short of just reinstalling windows 7.

Malewarebytes gets rid of the shit, then I reboot the computer and its back again. It even disables my Avira by some domain shit that does not give me access to run it. Then I do a regedit to delete the domain shit, run avira to get rid of all that mess, reboot, and its back again.

any help?