Computer Issues

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like a trojan to me. Just reformat.
Thats what Im thinking. Damned kids and wife fucking things up all the time. How come my PC gets like none of this shit? Its amazing. The funny thing now is they figured out how to circumvent antivirus with the domain shit. Its amazing at what lengths these fucks will go to to infect your shit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Run the scans in Safe Mode?

*edit* missed the continuted discussion on this page.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go to the search box and type: msconfig

Click on the Startup tab and look for anything out of place. These are basically the programs slated to run when you start your PC. A simple google search will verify the entries.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Do everything in Safe Mode until your computer is actually yours again. It'll at least stop some things from installing (i.e. anything that uses the Windows Installer service).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
- Boot into safe mode with networking
- Run RKILLRKill Download(iexplore.exe version)
- Run Malwarebytes FULL scan

I've never encountered a virus that remained after those steps.

What virus was detected by your initial malwarebytes scan ?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Something called Rootkit.boot.Cidox.b or some shit. Nothing I tried got rid of it. I did all the above. Twice lol.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I ever got a bug that nasty, I would honestly just reformat when you get the chance. It's ust not worth the risk of having leftover malware floating around on your system.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I'd agree with Jysin. You never know what it might have left behind. Complete removal isn't always guaranteed.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If this is your kids' PC, take away their admin rights and turn on system restore. Also, the malwarebytes paid version has a pretty good website blocker that will block them from connecting to infected websites. My mom use to get at least a virus a week on her PC, and once I did the above the frequency dropped to like once a year.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Its been a few yerars now anyway, It needs a fresh start. I think its the wife too with clicking on links on facebook.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yep I'd remove admin rights and give them separate accounts.

My wife has fucked up my laptop so many times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would get webroot and put it on a few pcs, a 3 computer license can be had for 45bucks a year
Fastest PC Mac Virus Protection - SecureAnywhere Antivirus | Webroot

less with coupons:
RetailMeNot: Coupon Codes, Coupons, Promo Codes, Free Shipping and Discounts for Thousands of Stores

Why? after fixing my nephews computer twice. (even after avira/malwarebytes) I installed webroot on his laptop. (even had to rebuild his MBR from scratch, of course he didn't back up nothing and he had a report due tomorrow!)

I haven't had to trouble shoot/fix shit on his (or my sisters family pc since i put it on the whole damn network) in 3 years.

I gladly pay the 50bucks a year for computers that aren't my own! it has potentially saved me hours of tech support i would have had to otherwise provide. And i pay for it to make sure it stays on the pc! (cuz you can also see what whats activated from the whole license control panel)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's no need to reinstall if tdsskiller found it. Rootkits are a clean wipe and not a ton to worry about these days, so save yourself the hassle if you're not in the mood.

Really though, there isn't much out there these days that survives malwarebytes/tdsskiller/fixtdsss from safe mode. Sometimes they can do asshole-ish things to your computer in general before you remove them, but otherwise stuff is pretty easy to remove these days.

As for msconfig, it's really worth getting used to. Even aside from trying to troubleshoot viral bs, it's useful to disable stupid shit on your computer that you never/rarely use or things that can just be run on demand. Too much goddamn software these days (as in, nearly all of it) likes to autorun something on startup.

Silence_sl

shitlord
There's no need to reinstall if tdsskiller found it. Rootkits are a clean wipe and not a ton to worry about these days, so save yourself the hassle if you're not in the mood.

Really though, there isn't much out there these days that survives malwarebytes/tdsskiller/fixtdsss from safe mode. Sometimes they can do asshole-ish things to your computer in general before you remove them, but otherwise stuff is pretty easy to remove these days.

As for msconfig, it's really worth getting used to. Even aside from trying to troubleshoot viral bs, it's useful to disable stupid shit on your computer that you never/rarely use or things that can just be run on demand. Too much goddamn software these days (as in, nearly all of it) likes to autorun something on startup.
On the other hand, there's no way of knowing what shit your PC got, so nuking from orbit is the safest option. Use recovery tools if you fucked up and have no/recent backups.

Image a basic Windows install with apps/activation and no drivers, and one is good to go, good as new in under an hour.

Msconfig sucks.Autoruns for Windows