Computer Issues

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just get a Win 10 iso and do a wipe/reinstall. Hassle but if you get an iso these days from MS directly at least it's got nearly all the updates included. I'd always wipe if I ever found a virus just to be sure. If you make a usb for install only takes 5-10 mins reinstall.

Been thinking about going that route, but I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 if I do.

But Chkdsk has been frozen at 16% complete for the hours, and I left memory check running overnight and it froze at 21%. Smells like a hardware issue to me, so IDK if a reinstall of the OS will even do anything.

Fml.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
coaxed chkdsk and Memory Diagnostic to finish their scans, and no errors were found. went ahead and ordered Windows 7, and then turned off my laptop for awhile. turned it back on and everything is running fine... which is confusing, because my CPU isn't overheating, and a simple reboot never fixed a damn thing.

unless there's some other reason besides overheating that turning it off for awhile would fix anything? i rarely turn it off, just close the lid so it enters Sleep mode every night.

still going to install Windows 7 anyway, i suppose.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
coaxed chkdsk and Memory Diagnostic to finish their scans, and no errors were found. went ahead and ordered Windows 7, and then turned off my laptop for awhile. turned it back on and everything is running fine... which is confusing, because my CPU isn't overheating, and a simple reboot never fixed a damn thing.

unless there's some other reason besides overheating that turning it off for awhile would fix anything? i rarely turn it off, just close the lid so it enters Sleep mode every night.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm

I would backup any needed docs and just do a clean install of Win10 (fresh start isn't exactly that as it keeps personalized settings and I wouldnt go back to win7). Update all drivers provided by your manufacturer (including BIOS). Windows update would be next, but if you're doing a clean install, the ISO coming from MS, should be nearly up to date anyways, or very close. Once done with updates, start installing any other software (start with AV). If similar behavior persists, I would start looking into potential hardware issues. If you're running chkdsk/memtest outside of windows, and its still locking up during those processes, my gut tells me it could be something with the mainboard...you ever spill anything on the laptop? Ever use compressed air to make sure the internals aren't coated in dust?

What are the laptop specs? How old is it(under warranty)? Have you used something like HW monitor to verify temps? What kind of maintenance do you run (software wise)? Do you have a lot of 3rd party apps that are on top of processes windows usually handles? Lots of startup programs?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and I wouldnt go back to win7

why not, exactly? my computer specs are pretty bare minimum for Windows 10, even tho it came with Win10 installed. many of the games i run are older games, and tend to run better on Windows 7 than 10 from what i've read.

What are the laptop specs?

Dell Inspiron 3558 Specs, doubled the amount of RAM after these problems started

How old is it(under warranty)?

only a couple years old, not under warranty any longer tho

Have you used something like HW monitor to verify temps?

yup

What kind of maintenance do you run (software wise)?

used to just run free Avast / Spybot / Malware Bytes, but bought a year of premium Avast and Avast Cleanup while trying to troubleshoot

Do you have a lot of 3rd party apps that are on top of processes windows usually handles?

nope

Lots of startup programs?

usually i'm the one my friends call up for this sort of stuff (even tho i'm not nearly as good at it as many here), and this is always the first thing i check when trying to diagnose PC slowness.

thanks for the help :) i appreciate the thoroughness

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
primarily because Win7 is no longer supported. it was good for its time, like XP, but win10 is quite a bit better.

Not that I think this would matter per se, but you can use win10s disk clean up prior to a clean install (be sure to select Clean up system files after it loads), check all boxes and clear everything out. really shouldnt impact performance but itll clear out some of the stuff win10 downloads for updates and such. This is more of a personal thing, but ive never been a fan of hibernation/sleep on windows pcs.

I think you nuke from orbit, start over with a clean install of win 10. If the same issues occur, you're looking at some sort of hardware fault. Is the hd mechanical or ssd?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
primarily because Win7 is no longer supported. it was good for its time, like XP, but win10 is quite a bit better.

Not that I think this would matter per se, but you can use win10s disk clean up prior to a clean install (be sure to select Clean up system files after it loads), check all boxes and clear everything out. really shouldnt impact performance but itll clear out some of the stuff win10 downloads for updates and such. This is more of a personal thing, but ive never been a fan of hibernation/sleep on windows pcs.

I think you nuke from orbit, start over with a clean install of win 10. If the same issues occur, you're looking at some sort of hardware fault. Is the hd mechanical or ssd?

Mechanical HD

Brad2770

I figure this is the best place to put this:

My kid set up a G-mail account in 2015. Forgot the password. While trying to recover the password we found out he entered the phone number wrong. Even though he knows the month he set it up, it still tells him they can not verify and will not give him access to the account. It was his first email account, so no back up email.

What can I do to help him get access again? I have followed a few online tutorials with no luck.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I figure this is the best place to put this:

My kid set up a G-mail account in 2015. Forgot the password. While trying to recover the password we found out he entered the phone number wrong. Even though he knows the month he set it up, it still tells him they can not verify and will not give him access to the account. It was his first email account, so no back up email.

What can I do to help him get access again? I have followed a few online tutorials with no luck.
if no backup email
if no phone number
if no backup code

then try

this is the recovery link https://www.google dot com/accounts/recovery
Google Accounts

• 1Like

Brad2770

if no backup email
if no phone number
if no backup code

then try

this is the recovery link https://www.google dot com/accounts/recovery
Google Accounts

Yeah, we went through that. He cannot remember what password he set up on it, so no using “last known password”

The phone number is wrong. (He had a phone, so no idea why he would put a shit number, but it’s ot his or anyone he knows)

And when it asks for us to enter an email address he can check now, it says that Google can not verify the account.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, we went through that. He cannot remember what password he set up on it, so no using “last known password”

The phone number is wrong. (He had a phone, so no idea why he would put a shit number, but it’s ot his or anyone he knows)

And when it asks for us to enter an email address he can check now, it says that Google can not verify the account.
did you keep on clicking "try another way", should bring you to the final option of enter any email and it goes through the process that way.

• 1Like

Brad2770

did you keep on clicking "try another way", should bring you to the final option of enter any email and it goes through the process that way.

Yep. Tried a couple of different emails. It says Google can not verify the account.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yep. Tried a couple of different emails. It says Google can not verify the account.
did you also use the computer that he created it from? i.e. if he only logged on his computer, then only use recovery on that computer and the "family computer", otherwise, i think that's it.

• 1Like

Brad2770

did you also use the computer that he created it from? i.e. if he only logged on his computer, then only use recovery on that computer and the "family computer", otherwise, i think that's it.

He will have to do that when he goes home. Thanks for helping.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone having any issues with PLEX not recognizing a server running on your system? Shit was working and now it's not.

Tried
1. Uninstalling/Re-installing.
2. Opening all ports associated with PLEX.
3. Allowing all programs through Firewall.
4. Turning Firewall off.

Can't for the life of me figure out wtf is going on. I'm just trying to get it to recognize in the browser so I can update the library. Can't find any help on the googles that I haven't already tried.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone having any issues with PLEX not recognizing a server running on your system? Shit was working and now it's not.

Tried
1. Uninstalling/Re-installing.
2. Opening all ports associated with PLEX.
3. Allowing all programs through Firewall.
4. Turning Firewall off.

Can't for the life of me figure out wtf is going on. I'm just trying to get it to recognize in the browser so I can update the library. Can't find any help on the googles that I haven't already tried.

Have you signed in to the server with your plex account? Even servers that can't be reached will show up in the web interface? What is the server running on?

Hekotat

Have you signed in to the server with your plex account? Even servers that can't be reached will show up in the web interface? What is the server running on?
I logged into the account and nothing showed up. I'll check it again tonight when I get home.

Hekotat

If you go to Plex and don't even see the server in the list, it never got associated with your account during setup.

That's weird, all it appears you can do with the app is click on it then it opens a webpage where it tries to find it. Never had any issues before, now that I dropped Netflix I can't get it to work.