Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does anybody on Windows 10 experience microstutters in video playback, both on video players (vlc, etc) but also on browsers? youtube is the only thing that doesn't do this, otherwise I constantly get microstutters like every 5 or so seconds especially on netflix. Games are fine unless I have video playing on my 2nd monitor and then I drop frames drastically.

Absolutely everything is up to date, my internet is more than capable and I've had this problem for about 6 months now. Hardware acceleration makes no difference and different browsers or different video players make no difference. I use two monitors, one being 120hz and the other 60hz. I see a lot of posts about high end cards having this issue with no fix working for myself yet. Am I probably just doomed forever?

specs are
GTX 1080
16gb ram
i7-4690k

It's actually driving me insane.
I get it too so following

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Does anybody on Windows 10 experience microstutters in video playback, both on video players (vlc, etc) but also on browsers? youtube is the only thing that doesn't do this, otherwise I constantly get microstutters like every 5 or so seconds especially on netflix. Games are fine unless I have video playing on my 2nd monitor and then I drop frames drastically.

Absolutely everything is up to date, my internet is more than capable and I've had this problem for about 6 months now. Hardware acceleration makes no difference and different browsers or different video players make no difference. I use two monitors, one being 120hz and the other 60hz. I see a lot of posts about high end cards having this issue with no fix working for myself yet. Am I probably just doomed forever?

specs are
GTX 1080
16gb ram
i7-4690k

I had this exact same issue and pretty much an identical setup. Turning off hardware acceleration wherever I could, setting up gsync to only run on fullscreen, running games in borderless windowed, changing out hdmi/display port cables, I even went so far as to completely reformat my system at one point and none of that shit worked.

What I found was my single GTX 1080 was struggling with managing two different refresh rates to two different monitors so as a test, set your 120hz monitor to 60hz to see if the microstutters go away. In my case they did, which left me with 2 options, run both monitors at identical refresh rates or get a second video card and dedicate each card to a monitor. It drove me nuts for the longest time as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I keep hearing problems with high end nvidia but for it to happen to so many people for so long now and still no drivers to fix or anything? This is aids. Codec pack has been installed a long time, and again it's really strange that it's every video source except youtube.

Setting both monitors to 60hz didn't make the problem disappear unfortunately, but I'm half tempted to just get an old shit card just to make this stop happening lol

Janx

<Silver Donator>

specs are
GTX 1080
16gb ram
i7-4690k

Had some wierd issues after the last big Win10 update (not todays..yet its installing now) i driver clearned my Nvidia drivers out and reinstalled fresh and it fixed it. It wasnt really video stutter though it was audio/video sync issues.

W

Wrathcaster

Okay so this is a weird one.

I was drunk and may or may not have spilled a beer on my k70 keyboard, It went absolutely apeshit, typing a billion miles a minute like it was the computer from Wargames trying to play me in chess.

I unplugged the fucker, broke out an old razer keyboard I had and it worked fine after I restarted my computer, since it was going absolutely apeshit. Before this happened, I was using two monitors and everything was going fine. When I booted back up, only one gave me any love. My number two monitor was dark.

Thinking I maybe damaged the mobo or my vidya card, I went and swapped dvi cables... Lo and behold second monitor would work and first monitor would work no matter what port I plugged them in to. But never both at once. Only one, ever.

Also, I'm now stuck, somehow with a windows theme that is black on black for everything, though that is most definitely not what my present or past themes have ever resembled. i really don't know what's going on. I booted up Vermintide and ran at at my normal frame rate, and CPUID reports the same stats it ever has. I swear, it was just the fucking keyboard

I should also mention this isn't the first time the K70 fucked me over, another one went absolutely berserk.

Both of my monitors are fine and both of the ports on my 1060 are fine. Everything seems to be running well except for the fact that I can't get my second monitor to turn on and somehow my theme has been changed. I have never pirated anything on this computer.

ideas?

W

Wrathcaster

Ok, so I fixed the monitor issue, but I am still very curious as to how my goddamn beer-infused keyboard changed my windows theme, I've played a few games just to see how fucked I was and I actually get better FPS now than I did before, despite my settings in said games being the same. The fuck? Do K70s just wig out and do you a solid when you give them alcohol?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Any of our tech savvy folks know how to add firewall exceptions to a modem/router? Specifically ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC. I can only seem to find the ability to turn it on or off. I'm still, probably fruitlessly, trying to fix an issue I have playing Lord of the Rings Online :(

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My computer is back to running like a pile of shit. I still can't figure out why. It will run great for a few weeks, and then out of nowhere will run horribly for a few weeks. To the point where I can't even run an SNES emulator without serious slowdown and potential crashing. I'm getting so fucking frustrated with it.

Bought premium Avast and ran a full virus scan. Two viruses found, but neither was a major one. Bought premium MalwareBytes, and regular Spybot, and neither dug up anything that helped. Updated every single one of my drivers. Doubled my RAM. Still, nothing has helped.

Even Windows10 Fresh Start didn't fix it.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anyone know how to stop discord from launching at startup on Windows 7? Shit crashes and slows my start up

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My computer is back to running like a pile of shit. I still can't figure out why. It will run great for a few weeks, and then out of nowhere will run horribly for a few weeks. To the point where I can't even run an SNES emulator without serious slowdown and potential crashing. I'm getting so fucking frustrated with it.

Bought premium Avast and ran a full virus scan. Two viruses found, but neither was a major one. Bought premium MalwareBytes, and regular Spybot, and neither dug up anything that helped. Updated every single one of my drivers. Doubled my RAM. Still, nothing has helped.

Run chkdsk heavy scan and repair. Usually experience this kind of issue when my drive is dying. Could also be a cooling issue if you're OC'd or don't have proper cooling for turbo frequencies (fucks up the boost when temps spike).

I'm literally going through something similar right now (again, for like the 11th time), but I'm too lazy to reinstall everything on a different drive. I'm hard on my OS drives, pulling tons of data, deleting, moving, I'm lucky of I get an OS drive to last 5 years. Tried SSD's but couldn't abstain from abusing the shit out of them with game installs and haven't had one last more than 2 years. Sigh....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
If you beat an Optane to shit you are hardcore.

Samsung 870 Pro 512GB, 0.6PB writes, $250.

Samsung 870 Evo 2TB, 1.2PB writes, $800.

Intel Optane SSD 905P 960GB, 17.52PB writes, $1300.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you beat an Optane to shit you are hardcore.

Samsung 870 Pro 512GB, 0.6PB writes, $250.

Samsung 870 Evo 2TB, 1.2PB writes, $800.

Intel Optane SSD 905P 960GB, 17.52PB writes, $1300.
Yeahhhh about that, lol. Might consider that given performance, but upfront cost is still a significant factor. How many TB in spindle drives could I run for $1300.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
$1300 worth of 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drives (15), 45TB.

WTF is it that you do to trash SSDs? What are your needs? Maybe hard drive + cheaper 32GB Optane solution ($60) designed to cache for hard drives in Windows. Also requires specific motherboard and 7th gen or later cpu.

There’s also last years Optane, the 900P 280GB, 5PB writes, $370. Or the 905P 480GB, 8.76PB writes, $575.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
uates

Just get a Win 10 iso and do a wipe/reinstall. Hassle but if you get an iso these days from MS directly at least it's got nearly all the updates included. I'd always wipe if I ever found a virus just to be sure. If you make a usb for install only takes 5-10 mins reinstall.