Computer Issues

Oldbased

> Than U
Oh Jesus, Killer NIC's. Fuck those things. Delete the Killer application if you haven't, that shit messes with things and the default windows driver runs fine. I had to toss my 2200 because of compatibility issues with Spectrum/TWC.

Also, 5ghz has half the range of 2.4ghz, new router probably has a much more powerful antenna. Benefit is less interference since microwaves and so much other shit operates at 2.4.
I ended up sending the N6300 ( N450 Modem with AC 1750 Router ) back. and went back to my old CG3000 which isn't supported on Spectrum ( was on TWC ) because the speeds were better on it( even though Spectrum says the N6300 is good to 300 hah ).
The final tech last week did say the same thing that some issue exists with Spectrum, E2200 network regardless of modem/router.

Being a Mobo replacement isn't in the budget and everything else is still fast compared to most shit pcs even though it is 4 years old ( I5-4790, 16 gb dd3 ram and a NV 9700 video card ) I wonder if I would be better off with a NIC card instead of the killer E2200 built in the motherboard. Honestly I am not having any major issues but I am only getting 70mb of the current 110 I should be wired. Still getting 4x + the speed needed to stream HD and things are back to being fast. Maybe since I wanted more range for the patio internet 50 feet away with spring coming I should just get a good extender. I had a EX2700 Netgear extender I sent back a month ago because even though it was 2 rooms away with a green signal, the boosted signal wasn't all that better and it seemed to reset often.

What the fuck. I removed Killer Networking Driver Suite ( only Killer thing installed ) and
PING
41ms
DOWNLOAD
95.86Mbps

UPLOAD
11.22Mbps

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
Called it.
Ya it is bouncing around from 70 to 100 now. Before it was just 70. It certainly didn't hurt the connection removing it. I've noticed the times I exceed 70 comes at the end of a speedtest where it bumps 20-30mbs at the end, otherwise hanging on 70.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can anyone recommend a good Windows "cleaning" program. And I mean something that really gets in there and removes any extraneous stuff (like temp and cache files) that aren't being used and are safe to delete. Like stuff in AppData. My AppData directory is several gigs in size and continues to grow.

Oldbased

> Than U
Can anyone recommend a good Windows "cleaning" program. And I mean something that really gets in there and removes any extraneous stuff (like temp and cache files) that aren't being used and are safe to delete. Like stuff in AppData. My AppData directory is several gigs in size and continues to grow.
I'd be interested too.
I installed ARK( like 130 fucking gigs for a game ) the other day and had 3gb left when I used to have 40+ after install. Turns out lots of it was in appdata cache. I found a site that listed directories I could delete and recovered 50gb between app cache and other stuff but a program would be much nicer that did it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'd be interested too.
I installed ARK( like 130 fucking gigs for a game ) the other day and had 3gb left when I used to have 40+ after install. Turns out lots of it was in appdata cache. I found a site that listed directories I could delete and recovered 50gb between app cache and other stuff but a program would be much nicer that did it.
Or, alternatively, a program that will show you a directory tree and how much data is in each.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I prefer TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs this app for searching out large files. You can also just use windows explorer and type in size: into the search bar and it will pop up several options. I usually start at Gigantic and see if that turns up enough stuff I can delete for space then move down from there.

As far as disk cleanup goes, just use the Disk Cleanup tool that is built into Windows. Check off everything and also set it to Cleanup System Files.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Anyone been having issues with their windows 10 laptop waking from sleep mode? I have to do a hard restart to get it back to normal.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
powercfg.exe /h off is one of the first things I do when setting up a new machine.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

anyone have UPS knowledge?

I have a cyberpower 900avr. a good number of years old.

A few weeks ago, after a power outage, it started clicking periodically.
A cyclic click-click, click-click, click-click. 5-20 times in a row. Every 5-10minutes.

This is NOT the normal clicking as it switches over to battery on power loss.
Front lights do not turn on.

The click comes from the lower back, near where the ups's power cord enters.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would get rid of it, the battery in it is probably dated at this point. If you can replace the battery you could try that first.

Caliane

bleh. new one is clicking too.

ups needed to charge, so I placed it in another room. (im not sure if that outlet was the same fuse or not.)
It charged for a day, with no sound. (in hindsight, plugged in, but not powered on.)

As soon as I plugged it into the Office outlet, it clicked. and has been doing so periodically since.

This is the best explanation I can find.
APC BE750G-UPS 750VA 10 Outlet making clicking noise

Internal relay, from the UPS trimming unstable power.
"An additional sound that the Smart-UPS may produce is a clicking sound. The Smart-UPS will make a clicking sound when the when the UPS is enabling AVR Boost or AVR Trim. AVR Boost is when the UPS uses the internal transformer to decrease input voltage which may be too high. When the UPS switches to use this transformer, an internal relay makes a clicking sound. This is a normal operation of the UPS reacting to too-high, or too-low voltage. "

NEW ups has a display, and it reads 121v consistently.. even during these events. no events are being recorded..
new one has a sensitive, option. but is already set to medium. "low" is not recommended for PC use..
Also has a AVR display... which also is not showing anything.

Big question is why my outlet is suddenly not providing stable power. fuse or outlet problem?
or, do I start powering off the ups at night? or, do I stick the thing into a sound proofed box?

xzi

Mouthbreather
Does anybody on Windows 10 experience microstutters in video playback, both on video players (vlc, etc) but also on browsers? youtube is the only thing that doesn't do this, otherwise I constantly get microstutters like every 5 or so seconds especially on netflix. Games are fine unless I have video playing on my 2nd monitor and then I drop frames drastically.

Absolutely everything is up to date, my internet is more than capable and I've had this problem for about 6 months now. Hardware acceleration makes no difference and different browsers or different video players make no difference. I use two monitors, one being 120hz and the other 60hz. I see a lot of posts about high end cards having this issue with no fix working for myself yet. Am I probably just doomed forever?

specs are
GTX 1080
16gb ram
i7-4690k

It's actually driving me insane.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Does anybody on Windows 10 experience microstutters in video playback, both on video players (vlc, etc) but also on browsers? youtube is the only thing that doesn't do this, otherwise I constantly get microstutters like every 5 or so seconds especially on netflix. Games are fine unless I have video playing on my 2nd monitor and then I drop frames drastically.

Absolutely everything is up to date, my internet is more than capable and I've had this problem for about 6 months now. Hardware acceleration makes no difference and different browsers or different video players make no difference. I use two monitors, one being 120hz and the other 60hz. I see a lot of posts about high end cards having this issue with no fix working for myself yet. Am I probably just doomed forever?

specs are
GTX 1080
16gb ram
i7-4690k

It's actually driving me insane.
take care of the easy stuff first

make sure all your cables are plugged in tight, fuck, if youre worried, use a bit of scotch tape, some ppl have issues w/ cheap hdmi cables/ win10

monitor your temps, use your mb software or download speedfan

open up perform mon, make sure nuttin in lagging you out

open up powerconfig and set to high, this'll turn off throttling if its on, your cpu will run at max core 100%

if you still have problems, are you on SSD?, maybe you got some weird defrag settings going on if you have a regular hard drive, and if you don't have SSD, get one, super cheap now, and if you have SSD, it should automatically be ready w/ trim, etc in win10