Computer Issues

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea reinstall video everything. I've been on 10 since launch with nvidia cards/geforce experience and have never had a problem. Hell, I'd personally say scrap your whole OS install and just do fresh 10, but I'm biased against OS upgrades in general.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Same. My Win10 Geforce experience has been perfect. No issues whatsoever.

Only gripe is from NVidia, who seem to shit out drivers every other week. When using two monitors, it shoves everything on the 2nd monitor to the primary display when upgrading the driver. It doesn't ever revert back once finished and I have to manually drag icons and folders back over to the 2nd monitor.. every.. single.. time. #firstworldproblems

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Same. My Win10 Geforce experience has been perfect. No issues whatsoever.

Only gripe is from NVidia, who seem to shit out drivers every other week. When using two monitors, it shoves everything on the 2nd monitor to the primary display when upgrading the driver. It doesn't ever revert back once finished and I have to manually drag icons and folders back over to the 2nd monitor.. every.. single.. time. #firstworldproblems
Pro tip: Windows key+shift+left/right arrow will move those windows back to the other screen into whatever position they were in.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Where can one get a cheap w7 or 8 key?

My video problems didn't exist until I upgraded to 10. Can't find my original key.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like a marketplace for getting my windows deactivated in a few months

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I'm having some issues in my cheap little i3 dell laptop I have been using for day to day surfing and shit. A few days ago I got all drunk and accidentally clicked the fucking windows 10 update. (It had win 7 before). Its relatively clean other than some pictures and shit. Pretty much stock programs, have not installed too much on this thing. Anyway my 3.5mm headphone jack does not work anymore. It worked perfect before the win 10 update. Ive tried to upgrade the drivers, etc. On some older ones they show up in the sound tab, but it does not recognize them. With the newer drivers, the headphones don't even show up at all. Fuck, help me out bros. ITs a dell inspiron 3542.

I hear its a common problem with win 10 but for the live of me I cannot figure out a fix.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I built most of a new PC last night, except the new video card doesn't arrive until Monday. So I was going to move my old GTX570 into it temporarily, but when I hook power up to it, I get no display on anything. Neither port on the card itself works, and it makes the onboard display not work either. I figured it was a driver thing, but when I try to install drivers, it fails because I don't have any Nvidia product installed, since its not fully hooked up.

Thinking back though, I may have fuxored it. The last thing I did on it was a benchmark test to see what kind of improvement I'll get from the new machine. I did the most extreme test, and I didn't realize how dusty the fan was, so it was running at close to 100C. Then I only let it cool down for a couple minutes before turning the machine off, so the fan didn't have a chance to do much of anything. Could I ruin the GPU by leaving it that hot with no airflow? I haven't hooked it up to the old pc to see if it still works, going to try that when I get home later.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I built most of a new PC last night, except the new video card doesn't arrive until Monday. So I was going to move my old GTX570 into it temporarily, but when I hook power up to it, I get no display on anything. Neither port on the card itself works, and it makes the onboard display not work either. I figured it was a driver thing, but when I try to install drivers, it fails because I don't have any Nvidia product installed, since its not fully hooked up.

Thinking back though, I may have fuxored it. The last thing I did on it was a benchmark test to see what kind of improvement I'll get from the new machine. I did the most extreme test, and I didn't realize how dusty the fan was, so it was running at close to 100C. Then I only let it cool down for a couple minutes before turning the machine off, so the fan didn't have a chance to do much of anything. Could I ruin the GPU by leaving it that hot with no airflow? I haven't hooked it up to the old pc to see if it still works, going to try that when I get home later.
most all modern GPU's just shut down and won't let you boot up anyway w/ high temps, long as a basic heatsink is on it, it should have dissipated the bulk of the heat to level off. Since it's a dusty card, the usual suspect, actually is dust might've fallen inside the pci-e slot, you probably reseat and reseat it so much wondering wtf, why won't it work, shit fell in there, do some kind of voodoo. at least do a basic vacuum/nes blow on the slot, wipe down card, make sure power is connected to it and use the lowest tech connector (vga).

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Well I did all the dusting before it got anywhere near my new case, but I'll double-check that. It only has DVI ports on it (and a mini HDMI which I've never used) and both give the same blank screen.

I should've just brought it to work with me and messed with it here. Slow as hell today and its all I can think about anyway.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
When you have the card plugged in, and turn the pc on, you get absolutly nothing? no mobo splash screen or POST screen? Does it seem like it goes through the normal post process? If you disconnect display cables from the video card and plug them into the onboard, you get no display as well? Do the fans spin up on the card when powered on in the new machine? You do have power going to it and it is slotted correctly yes? If you have a modular ps, make sure both ends are properly connected in the ps and the card. Correct video cables plugged in, correct input on the monitor? Does the card still work in the old machine?

Those are things id look at first if possible. Sometimes, we overlook stupid shit.

This shouldnt honestly matter with most newer pcs, but...if you go into the bios via an onboard video connection, does it have a video display setting choice? ie onboard or automatic (this really really shouldnt be the problem with new hardware).

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
This shouldnt honestly matter with most newer pcs, but...if you go into the bios via an onboard video connection, does it have a video display setting choice? ie onboard or automatic (this really really shouldnt be the problem with new hardware).
Actually was this. Computer was running just fine, but it was forcing the display to the PCI slot, which had no drivers. But I couldn't get any display to actually install them. But changing it to the onboard worked just fine.

...except now wmd.exe crashes on startup. So that'll be next on the list.

Sometimes, we overlook stupid shit.
And how! Looked like the graphic stickers were starting to peel off the card, and when I looked a bit closer, they still had the protective plastic on them like a cellphone screen. 4 1/2 years its been in there, and still had the one that says "Remove before installation"

i so smrt

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I learned today that my system is running at 100% CPU load constantly according to task manager. I overclock my CPU, and I'm pretty sure that I checked off the setting that makes my CPU speed variable? So it's not pegged at max speed constantly? Would this be why it's reading 100% constantly in the task manager?

Ran aVast virus, and malware bytes, and got rid of everything. Any other ideas, or should I not worry about it?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Task manager should be able to tell you what process / program is eating the CPU. Go from there.

Also, variable CPU speed has nothing to do with this. Your PC shouldn't be sitting at 100%. Hopefully it's just a hung program and not something more malicious like a virus.

*Edit* Here is a pic of my Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and then click the CPU column to sort by highest CPU usage.

rrr_img_135769.jpg