Computer Issues

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wouldn't hurt to try reseating it. Otherwise you'll want to pull all but 1 stick and retest to find the culprit.
Got two 8gb sticks. Tried them one at a time. Both get errors or outright crash the memtest in slot 1. One seems fine now at test #7 in slot 2.

So bad motherboard then I guess?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Got two 8gb sticks. Tried them one at a time. Both get errors or outright crash the memtest in slot 1. One seems fine now at test #7 in slot 2.

So bad motherboard then I guess?

That definitely sounds likely. Assuming you have the usual 4 slots for ram, you might want to try both of them at once in other slots if the individual tests in slot 2 come back good. If you access to another computer with compatible ram it would be a good idea to swap and test on both.

Aazrael

That definitely sounds likely. Assuming you have the usual 4 slots for ram, you might want to try both of them at once in other slots if the individual tests in slot 2 come back good. If you access to another computer with compatible ram it would be a good idea to swap and test on both.
Its an ITX card so only 2 ram slots. One stick passed 100% in slot two and the other one just got past the critical part where it crashed earlier (also slot 2). Will try slot one again when its done testing and if it crashes then I'll demand a new motherboard.

Got any suggestions for a motherboard for ryzen 3700x? The one I have now is an Asus 450i and the price was 160 bucks I think. I saw in the desktop thread people disliked asus cards.

It has to be an mATX card though. Looked at the MSI bazooka but couldn't find any info.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've got nothing on AMD mobos as it will likely be a few more years before I upgrade from my 8700k. I haven't used AMD since the original slot-A Athlon. I always had good luck Gigabyte, though my current one is an Asus. If you check the desktop thread it seems plenty of people are having trouble with Asus lately though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Running with one stick in slot 2 now and Doom did not BSOD, will try Witcher as well and see if it holds up.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've been getting random BSOD with "Memory Management" class code errors for a few days now intermittently as well. Mem test returning memory error. There's no way to get more info other than just trying each stick separately to try to find the bad one?

Running an Aorus Gaming 7 with G.Skill ripjaws (2x 16GB)

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

I've been getting random BSOD with "Memory Management" class code errors for a few days now intermittently as well. Mem test returning memory error. There's no way to get more info other than just trying each stick separately to try to find the bad one?

Running an Aorus Gaming 7 with G.Skill ripjaws (2x 16GB)
I only have 2 slots so was easy for me. Works fine with 1 stick in slot 2 but memory error at test #7 in slot 1. Both ram sticks show no errors in slot 2.

Sucks that I now have to return it so they can "test" it. Feels like I should just order a new one. :(

Edit: Stole ram from my GFs computer and got the same error. Returning it and demanding refund. Just ordered the Asrock B550m Steel Legend instead. Can't be bothered to wait for them to "test" the broken board and then returning another, that will take over one week.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Going to look into an RMA. Still within warranty for 20 days or so.

I can't be without my computer for work. If I do need to send it in to RMA, I'll probably have to buy another mobo to use then just sell the replacement when I get it.

RMA the old board and buy a new one in the interim. Sell the RMA board when you get it or keep it as a spare. Mainboard issues can be a real fucking PITA to figure out because it can present as a lot off different issue at the same time or singly. I had an MSI go south on me and in different errors which made it a complete fucking joy to troubleshoot. And then the dim little bulb in my head lit up and I ordred a new board. Presto! No problems.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Reseated the cpu and cooler. Reseated the ram chips. Did a memtest on my GF's computer with my Ram sticks and they test fine there.

But as soon as I stick a chip into one of the slots in my board it fucks up with errors or right out crash the memtest.

So if the store finds no problems with the board I'll be surprised. I think the new board will be more future proof anyway and got way more internal connections for fans and usb and led stuff.

Aazrael

New board posted right away, I remember the other card kept powering the cpu on and off a few times before it eventually posted. Not sure if that was an indication of problems ahead.

Running memtest now and it seems it is a success. Got past the problem area on the other board. Glad it was the motherboard and not the cpu or something else.

And while ITX was a cool form factor it did miss a lot of internal connectors for fans and AIOs etc. So im glad i got a mATX instead.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've been getting random restarts lately. I dealt with some overheating issues about 4 months or so ago where my CPU was idling at 45-55c. I finally realized the CPU fan wasn't seated properly. Put on some thermal paste, got a new fan, and idle temps usually sit around 25-29c now.

I was playing Warhammer II a few weeks back and out of nowhere, my comp just restarted. I figured it was some sort of graphical glitch/error, no biggie. Then, it happened a few more times, during longer Warhammer II sessions. Because I can play World of Warships for hours just fine, I assumed it was just a WH2 issue and shrugged it off. So, last night I was playing Atlas with a buddy and my comp was restarting every 20-60 minutes. Immediately I go into BIOS to check temps and it really isn't too bad (40c-44c), considering it was just under load.

At this point, I'm starting to suspect a possible RAM or PSU issue, but the odd thing is that it's perfectly fine playing World of Warships. I've literally logged a 9 hour WoWS session, playing in fullscreen windowed mode and doing random shit on the internet at the same time (YouTube, websites, etc). I did check GPU temps as well and those are also in the 38-45c range after restarts (which, again, isn't too crazy considering it was just under load).

Not really sure what else could be the culprit.

Aazrael

I've been getting random restarts lately. I dealt with some overheating issues about 4 months or so ago where my CPU was idling at 45-55c. I finally realized the CPU fan wasn't seated properly. Put on some thermal paste, got a new fan, and idle temps usually sit around 25-29c now.

I was playing Warhammer II a few weeks back and out of nowhere, my comp just restarted. I figured it was some sort of graphical glitch/error, no biggie. Then, it happened a few more times, during longer Warhammer II sessions. Because I can play World of Warships for hours just fine, I assumed it was just a WH2 issue and shrugged it off. So, last night I was playing Atlas with a buddy and my comp was restarting every 20-60 minutes. Immediately I go into BIOS to check temps and it really isn't too bad (40c-44c), considering it was just under load.

At this point, I'm starting to suspect a possible RAM or PSU issue, but the odd thing is that it's perfectly fine playing World of Warships. I've literally logged a 9 hour WoWS session, playing in fullscreen windowed mode and doing random shit on the internet at the same time (YouTube, websites, etc). I did check GPU temps as well and those are also in the 38-45c range after restarts (which, again, isn't too crazy considering it was just under load).

Not really sure what else could be the culprit.
I had that happen with my old PSU. Turned Surge Protection off in Bios and it solved it. I have since bought a new PSU though. Might be worth checking at least.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Started running into problems this morning with my computer going straight into BIOs. If I skip bios, it will load up my desktop and such for a good 10-15min and power down. Majority of the time it will just turn on, turn off without displaying anything. Probably a good 10 tries, and then maybe the 11th will let me to a desktop. I'm not seeing any sort of BSOD, just a flat blackout.

I figured it might be a PSU problem but ended up pulling the gf psu out to test it and it kept doing the same thing. Whenever I can read the bios, my CPU Temps seem pretty normal unless it's spiking and not booting to BIOs to cool down; but honestly.. It seems random. Taking a step back for a second, but if I end up seeing a pattern.. I'll take note.

Currently asking a neighbor for thermal, or have to check with whatever store is open due to shit covid hours.

Any other method of isolating the problem to cpu mobo or even ram? I tried the disabling anti surge from an above, but nothing different.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Started running into problems this morning with my computer going straight into BIOs. If I skip bios, it will load up my desktop and such for a good 10-15min and power down. Majority of the time it will just turn on, turn off without displaying anything. Probably a good 10 tries, and then maybe the 11th will let me to a desktop. I'm not seeing any sort of BSOD, just a flat blackout.

I figured it might be a PSU problem but ended up pulling the gf psu out to test it and it kept doing the same thing. Whenever I can read the bios, my CPU Temps seem pretty normal unless it's spiking and not booting to BIOs to cool down; but honestly.. It seems random. Taking a step back for a second, but if I end up seeing a pattern.. I'll take note.

Currently asking a neighbor for thermal, or have to check with whatever store is open due to shit covid hours.

Any other method of isolating the problem to cpu mobo or even ram? I tried the disabling anti surge from an above, but nothing different.
Try the CMOS battery

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I had this happen only during league of legends, as soon as i uninstalled itunes all my problems vanished! The weirdest shit i swear lol, i could play wow but not LoL.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Lol gave it a shot, no luck.. Ended up shutting off again as I was trying to reset the time/date in the bios. :c
try unplugging all your usb devices. Edit: including keyboard

Edit 2: Also try disabling Fast Boot if it still does it with no usb stuff plugged in

Did you put in a new cmos battery or just take it out and put it back in?

gauze

Molten Core Raider
try unplugging all your usb devices. Edit: including keyboard

Edit 2: Also try disabling Fast Boot if it still does it with no usb stuff plugged in

Did you put in a new cmos battery or just take it out and put it back in?

Trying the unplugged usbs, but it's pretty much powering on for all of 3 seconds as the fans and lights start, then goes to straight to off.

I eventually hit the direct key(asus mobo), and I'm getting more consistent up time? Didn't time the first two, but they were met with "Shutting Down..." blue screen. I'm on my third attempt now at currently 11mins and going. I did turn off fast boot.

As far as the CMOS bat, I transfered the one from the other PC since I don't have a new one on hand at the moment.

I'm completely confused where the problem has been coming from.

edit: so everything seems okay???? rather puzzled to why, i'm guessing somehow the "direct key" on the mobo got engaged or something. Here's to hoping this pc will push it til the end of the year. Appreciate the help slippery slippery for the time being. Still running w/ fast boot disabled, so that could have also very likely been the remedy too.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Power supply
Yeah, it's what I'm starting to suspect as well. Although, I did turn on MSI Afterburner while playing and noticed my GPU reached 79c(not insanely hot, but pretty fucking up there). Adjusted my autofan settings for it and hoping that helps. I'm so ready to do a rebuild on this fucking machine. I've had it since summer of 2012(top of the line back then), but I've just been patchworking it since then and this year it's really starting to show its age.