Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiki

Log Wizard
Regarding liquid coolers, does it make a difference in the amount of heat your PC gives off? I have never looked into it and my brain says heat is heat and it would be the same, but maybe there is some physics component with the liquid I am not considering.

Kinda. You can just buy a bigger radiator for the hotter chips. Make sure it works with your case, etc.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so im back in action.

The CPU actually survived despite being turned on three times until I realized the problem. I was shocked by this. I spent a few hours dealing with BIOS and CMOS, installing the H100i... it sure is a lot quieter too.

Good experience but I am getting too old for this shit yo.
I had mentioned building a cheap computer for a friends 11 y/o son, and I had just thrown some cheap fans I had sitting around that I had never used. Jesus fuck they where loud. I couldn't give it to her like that, had to put in some actual decent fans. It gave me a new appreciation for Noctua, Corsair, Lian Li, etc fans and how quiet they are.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decided to upgrade OS on my media computer from Windows 7 to 10. Went to Microsoft site, purchased 10 and there's no way to download or install. There is NO support online that answers any questions. There is NO virtual chat option and when I call their support line, it says support is ONLY available online. Also, no way to refund/return the digital purchase. Is Microsoft seriously scamming people? WTF is going on?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Decided to upgrade OS on my media computer from Windows 7 to 10. Went to Microsoft site, purchased 10 and there's no way to download or install. There is NO support online that answers any questions. There is NO virtual chat option and when I call their support line, it says support is ONLY available online. Also, no way to refund/return the digital purchase. Is Microsoft seriously scamming people? WTF is going on?

EDIT: Think this link is better.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, you had to purchase Windows 10?...

Yeah, I know. I put it off forever. It is the media computer, so not the main desktop I use and wasn't a priority.

Now, I need a new main desktop for the home office and the current one will be fiddled with and go into another room for a different TV.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Using a bluetooth mouse and audio engine 2+ speakers what can I do to prevent this weird static that I hear (from the speaker output) whenever I use the mouse and especially the scroll wheel?

It is not really noticeable when a video or something is playing but it is quite annoying when something doesn't drown it out. As I understand it it is caused because my PC and speakers use the same power source and my personal PC doesn't have something in between it and the speaker like my laptop dock does for my work computer. This problem does not persist on my work laptop or anything that uses this speaker via bluetooth.

Would a small loop shunt stop this?

Kiki

Log Wizard
I would try and extension cord first to make sure. It could also be a shielding issue. Are you using an audio cable?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I would try and extension cord first to make sure. It could also be a shielding issue. Are you using an audio cable?
Yeah standard jack into motherboard. I've read a lot of conflicting things about using a shunt or getting an audio card because the motherboard itself is somehow causing it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Do you get the static if you use bluetooth from the PC to the speakers? I know you said you dont with the laptop but didnt clarify about the PC. If you don't, I'd make sure you are using a shielded audio cable before trying anything else.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sorry for the confusion but here's the setup.

Speakers:

1. Work Laptop 1 (Macbook) -> Bluetooth into speakers no problems.
  2. Work Laptop 2 (Dell ) -> Audio line into a splitter then goes into a laptop dock that connects to laptop through USB-C no problems.
  3. PC -> Audio line into splitter goes directly into motherboard audio jack. Static and weird sounds only with PC.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have you tried PC > Bluetooth to confirm the static goes away without the audio line? Reading back a bit, is this the same PC you worked on with the CPU? Did it do the static stuff before you had the problems with the CPU?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have you tried PC > Bluetooth to confirm the static goes away without the audio line? Reading back a bit, is this the same PC you worked on with the CPU? Did it do the static stuff before you had the problems with the CPU?
Bluetooth with PC had no issues. I got a $5 audio shunt and the static went away. Works fine now.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Built a new PC last night. Turned it on and said it detected no SATA drives. Noticed I never plugged them in. Turn it off and plugged them in. Now it wont turn on at all. Any ideas?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Built a new PC last night. Turned it on and said it detected no SATA drives. Noticed I never plugged them in. Turn it off and plugged them in. Now it wont turn on at all. Any ideas?
I'd double check that the headers for the power button are still plugged in since they're in that area. There a power button on the MB itself?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd double check that the headers for the power button are still plugged in since they're in that area. There a power button on the MB itself?
Not that I could find. I checked every wire and made sure they were plugged in but still nothing. Will have to give it another go tonight.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 DDR4 HDMI DP SLI CFX ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard https://a.co/d/4AubOKE

should be this
Nothing spectacular about a 3 series MSI. Work backwards - unplug the SATA's you just hooked up and see if you can get the same error that you did before hand. If so, you found your culprit. If not, then you did something in between those first steps. Wouldnt be the first time Ive completely disassembled a new build over something stupid.