Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
my hurtz is slow, hlep
yaMul.jpg

yaMul.jpg

yaMul.jpg

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Still having issues with my Video card. Nvidia 550ti. Removed and reinstalled the new beta drivers, etc. Still black screens in some games like alan wake, black screens for a few seconds then continues like nothing happened, then does it again. Happens a lot in EA games...But other games like Dishonored/skyrim run fine.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Still having issues with my Video card. Nvidia 550ti. Removed and reinstalled the new beta drivers, etc. Still black screens in some games like alan wake, black screens for a few seconds then continues like nothing happened, then does it again. Happens a lot in EA games...But other games like Dishonored/skyrim run fine.
Sounds like the driver is crashing and recovering. Happened all the time in WoW here on a gtx 580. Don't know what to tell you as to why in your case. Might just be a defective piece of hardware.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Check your event viewer. You should see entries in the Application or System logs stating that the nVidia driver is crashing and recovering successfully. If it's only a certain game, it might be a driver issue with that specific game, but this is usually a sign of overheating or that the GPU has been damaged somehow (again, usually thermal).

If you see a bunch of errors in the event log, I'd uninstall the driver, run something like Driver Sweeper to make sure that every trace of the driver is gone, and then regress a version or two (to release drivers, not beta). See if that does the trick, and if it does, and you have some reason to be running the beta drivers, upgrade and see if the problem returns.

elvis_sl

shitlord
ok. giving this a shot here.
lately i just can't search on google on chrome anymore. i can access the homepage, but as soon as i search i get an error.

same often happens on firefox, though often i also get a captcha to solve there with a link claiming there was "unusual activity" from my ip, though it doesn't seem to go into more detail. after solving the captcha i seem to be able to search google normally till it bombs again at some point.

i tried googling (or bing-ing, ugh) for the error message, yet found nothing. i ran MSE, spybot, malawarebytes and some kapersky virus/rootkit detection and it found nothing. i am running stuff like adblock plus and disconnect and ghostery in chrome (and firefox), though even disabling that didn't seem to fix it..
switching to incognito mode sometimes helps again.. sometimes doesn't.

any ideas anyone ? wifi is password protected etc so no idea really.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You're certainly not alone in this. There are a lot of people with this problem and no one seems to know why it's happening -- and apparently, it just resolves itself after a while.

Some people say that they've had luck with clearing caches, etc, but that the problem just comes back after a while. The earliest reference I could find went back to the MyDoom virus in 2004, when it infected so many people and Google was being carpet bombed with lookups from all of them at the same time. So, it could just be a usage/overload issue on the application server that you happen to be doing lookups on. That's my best guess.

I was gonna post a long reply but in the end it wouldn't have helped.

So, to try rectifying that, I have a couple questions.

One: Is this a computer / system that you built yourself?

Two: Did you research the components that you have to thoroughly identify any incompatibility issues if you built it yourself?

There's a lot of info missing to help diagnose and rectify the issue presented to this board and the users that could help you out.

Really hope this isn't a troll post that I've replied to. Given the nature of the people that post here...I'm skeptical.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
ok. giving this a shot here.
lately i just can't search on google on chrome anymore. i can access the homepage, but as soon as i search i get an error.
It might be worth running windows Defender Offline from a bootable CD/USB drive. Some of the bootkits can evade detection while it is resident in memory even while using TDSSKiller and Malwarebytes. Recently tested the Pihar bootkit against Systems Center Endpoint Protection 2012 (a.k.a Forefront/MSE) and McAfee at work and both failed to detect the bootkit while the OS was booted. Also do you have any other computers active on your network besides the one you're using? Just checking as a follow up to the wifi being secured, might be something else internal since you share one internet facing IP.

elvis_sl

shitlord
It might be worth running windows Defender Offline from a bootable CD/USB drive. Some of the bootkits can evade detection while it is resident in memory even while using TDSSKiller and Malwarebytes. Recently tested the Pihar bootkit against Systems Center Endpoint Protection 2012 (a.k.a Forefront/MSE) and McAfee at work and both failed to detect the bootkit while the OS was booted. Also do you have any other computers active on your network besides the one you're using? Just checking as a follow up to the wifi being secured, might be something else internal since you share one internet facing IP.
thanks to alkorin and you for replying..

i have a desktop computer running win7 64bit, laptop running vista and my iphone on the same router. and both computers have the same problem with google. so i guess it is not something related to chrome installation/ plugins or so (even though they have similiar browser addons). was wondering if it was disconnect maybe causing it, by blocking some odd referral links to google or something weird ? i've seen it report 30 blocked links to google on a single page. though that would never even reach the google server, so it wouldn't really influence all of this. yeah kind of clueless what to do at this point.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Try giving RogueKillerhttp://tigzy.geekstogo.com/roguekiller.phpa run, it is sometimes able to detect stuff that other programs miss. If possible can you also run Hijackthis on both machines in your place and post a log? It is kind of an old application but still rather useful for troubleshooting possible browser hijacks/bot activity.

The only other thing I can think of to check is what Internet Provider do you use? If it is a smaller local ISP it might be that part of their network that you're on might be blacklisted on google's side due to another customer on their network being infected. I've run into that once before while supporting a local wireless provider. If it is a larger ISP like AT&T/Comcast/Verizon it is less likely that that is the case though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
my internet has been randomly crapping out for periods of about a minute or two. I've reset the modem and the wireless router and updated the router firmware but had no improvement. it's not an issue with my computer. any ideas?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
When it craps out, does the modem still show it's connected fine? Who's your ISP?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i'm not sure since it's downstairs... the internet connection will report "limited" connection until it goes back... Comcast is the ISP