Computer Issues

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heat (check fan operation and temps of CPU / GPU)
Memory tests - especially if freezes are followed by crashes

Those would be my first suspects.

If those check out fine, try booting in safe mode and check stability. It could be software related.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I did memtest86 already and it came back fine, so I don't think it's a memory thing. It almost acts like low power but my PSU is a 600w, which is above what the card is rated to need.

It's not impossible that it doesn't have enough power at the rails, I need to do some more investigating and testing. Or just return it and get something else.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Heat (check fan operation and temps of CPU / GPU)
Memory tests - especially if freezes are followed by crashes

Those would be my first suspects.

If those check out fine, try booting in safe mode and check stability. It could be software related.
How can you check the heat while it's frozen? The PC Just freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard is dead (try hitting num lock doesn't light up). I'll run a memtest

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How can you check the heat while it's frozen? The PC Just freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard is dead (try hitting num lock doesn't light up). I'll run a memtest
I assumed it worked for some period of time and then froze. If it is immediately freezing, try going into Safe Mode and see if you get a stable boot. At least you can somewhat determine if it is hardware or software related.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I did memtest86 already and it came back fine, so I don't think it's a memory thing. It almost acts like low power but my PSU is a 600w, which is above what the card is rated to need.

It's not impossible that it doesn't have enough power at the rails, I need to do some more investigating and testing. Or just return it and get something else.
Is there an extra molex you didn't catch when installing it? I've seen some cards with the normal auxiliary then a molex or a fan adapter on it as well... My last GPU had that took me hours to figure out why it was crashing so much because LOL DIRECTIONS.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
No, there's no extra molex plug. I was thinking that might be it too, but that's not it. I'm actually rather surprised it DOESN'T have one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just RMA that bitch.

I RMA'd a video card before and the company said they'd have DHL pick it up in a couple days. DHL was ringing my doorbell while I was still on the phone with customer support.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm gonna RMA it or just return it to Amazon.

My desktop has a single 7200 RPM drive in it right now; I want to add in a 2.5" SSD for the OS and programs. What's the most elegant way to pull the data off of the existing drive for just a short period of time? I was thinking of using something like OneDrive.

I don't have a NAS or anything like that. Talking about something around 300 gig of stuff, mostly movies.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just get a data migration kit, 20bucks.
Amazon.com: Corsair 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive and Hard Disk Drive Cloning Kit CSSD-UPGRADEKIT: Computers Accessories

install software from cd, or download from online if you don't have cd, and clone or just tell the software what to leave out like movies/mp3 directory. it's external so you can use it for laptops later usb/2/3
(of course usb3 would be done in like 5minutes)

then you can just keep your old disk as a backup drive and if you're really screwed, it can act as a boot drive.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to accomplish. Unless you are literally cloning a drive there's very few applications that are portable across drives. Clean OS install on SSD + reinstall apps then murder everything but media on the HDD.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that's the general plan but I don't want to have to manually clear shit off the HDD. I want to move the media and other stuff I want to save somewhere else, format the HDD, then drop that data back down to the HDD.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
A couple hundred gig. That might work. I might get some OneDrive free through school, which was the main reason I was thinking about doing it that way.

Frustrating permissions issue I need help with on a Windows 7 machine:

My dad, an older fellow, changed the permissions on his primary user account to Standard. Unknown to him, the UpdateUser account from Nvidia is also installed on his machine as an administrator. He's unable to restore his account to an admin again, and we've tried the following approaches:

Tried deleting the Nvidia Updater, permissions locked;
Tried changing the permissions settings for his account and UpdateUser, permissions locked;
Tried booting up in safemode to get to the default admin account, but to do so requires admin permissions;
Attempted to find a password to the UpdateUser profile, apparently it's hidden and encrypted(?) for security reasons.

I've done a decent amount of Google-Fu on the topic and can't find anything for this particular problem. Given the permissions snafu that exists, is the only option to reinstall? I'm willing to try any/all "workarounds" since he doesn't have all of his stuff backed up as he should including family photos and personal info (which will be our next project).

Thanks in advance. Nets and possible other goodies for those who can help.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Download a copy ofHiren's BootCD, boot off of it and use it to reset the Administrator password (or the UpdateUser password, if you want). Bang, you have admin privileges again.

I can't recall but the tool might even be able to add him back to the Administrators group.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so I had this issue before and im not sure where I asked but here goes, I was trying to clean shit off my main HD, its a 128g SsD currently have 20g free but I don't have anything installed except d3 and some steam games, I purposely put all other games on my second SsD when I got it.

I think someone linked a program that scanned the HD and literally showed you exactly what was taking up the room and where it was located etc for easy removal.

If anyone could help thatd be great, im not sure how I could be using all this space, I barely have any games on steam, and only D3 installed.

It may. Going to have to visit my dad this next weekend and see if this might work in Win 7. We didn't try creating a new account from what I recall, but the admin requirements may stop it - we had a horrible time doing much of anything under user accounts. Thanks for the suggestion
smile.png

Download a copy ofHiren's BootCD, boot off of it and use it to reset the Administrator password (or the UpdateUser password, if you want). Bang, you have admin privileges again.

I can't recall but the tool might even be able to add him back to the Administrators group.
Cool. We'll give this one a spin as well, and keep a copy of this on CD. Looks pretty handy. Thank you!

I'll post an update after giving these a shot.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think someone linked a program that scanned the HD and literally showed you exactly what was taking up the room and where it was located etc for easy removal.
TryTreeSize Pro. Free trial will work fine, or I think there's a free version that works too.