Computer Issues

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the suggestion. I went into the bios, but I didn't see any calibration utility for the battery, but there was a system test for it. It showed 100% charged, and 86% battery health. Doesn't sound bad to me, but I really don't know.

I've been playing a lot of Starcraft lately, and I'm wondering if the processor is overheating and shutting down. Doesn't seem to happen while I'm playing though, always after when surfing. I'm grasping at straws, I really have no idea.
If you run it on AC power with the battery removed, does it do the same thing eventually?

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
So I have a WiFi issue. My dad moved the wireless router and now has some strange setup (multiple routers, some switchboard set up). Anyways, the WiFi is now complete shit everywhere in the house. My room is at the opposite end, so I don't even receive a useful signal. I've been using an ethernet for all my internet needs.

Is it possible to set up a wireless router in my room so I could have a strong wifi signal?
Assuming the ethernet point is relatively close, put a cheap Wi-Fi router on it. Make sure you disable DHCP and put it in "bridge", rather than router mode.

Absolutely make sure DHCP is off tho.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This I haven't tried.
Well, if it does the same thing on AC power with the battery removed you can then rule out the battery as the cause. Though I doubt it's a thermal issue, if you want to monitor system temps you can use this utilityCPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting. It should measure battery capacity as well which you can compare to the Windows value. Personally, my bet is on the battery, but running it overnight on AC power while having a game loaded should confirm whether it's the battery or not.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Frenzied Wombat again.

Neg Tuco.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not sure if that pinpointed the problem, Gravy, but my laptop was doing this as well, and it was the video card heatsinks in my case. I had to tighten them up before it stopped randomly shutting off (thermal issues, clearly). It was mostly while gaming, but sometimes even the 2D clocks would force the video card temperature up high enough to trigger a thermal shutdown.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got my new AC charger last night along with a DC jack.. definitely the jack that's busted. Looks like I need to crack open the laptop and solder in a new jack
frown.png
FUCK MY LIFE

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it's annoying as fuck. I found no easy way to change which search engine shows up when you right click a text selection. Before, the selected search engine in the quick search was used for this function, now you gotta switch your default search engine from options or do a search with the new one so it sticks for next time.

talking about this :

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I updated my Catalyst drivers today, and I think I fucked up a setting. It asked me about virtual resolution something something, and I enabled that, and now my main screen can go higher than its native of 1900x1200. I didn't like that, so I reverted it to its native, but everything seems to be in grandpa mode. My icons are bigger, the font is different/bigger, and even this firefox window is in big mode. Like the toolbar at the top is bigger than it should be, and the minimize/maximize/X icons in top right are huge.

Ideas? This is obnoxious.

-edit- nevermind I finally found it google searching. Took awhile!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went into my PC today and de-soldered the bad DC jack and put a new one on... the old one just fell off as soon as I opened the case :| no wonder it melted my cable.

Also while I was in there I decided to repaste my CPU and GPU. When I opened them up there was barely any paste on either of them, no wonder the laptop was overheating!

Now the fans barely turn on, before my computer snded like a lawnmower. Hurray!

Prime_sl

shitlord
Weird internet issue.

Recently our wireless router was moved from my roommates room out to our living room. This was over thanksgiving and recently I've been noticing some noticeable lag which has increased to where browsing the internet sometimes doesn't even work. I figured that the cable connection or splitter in our living room was bad and was causing dropouts (both the bed room and the living room are super close to my room, the distance to the router really shouldnt be affecting my connection). Yesterday I ran a ping test from my computer to the router and it would be 1-2ms and then would jump to 1k and even drop out. This morning I ran a ping test from my work computer and it was 1ms with no drop outs and tonight I ran one from my phone and it was also 1ms.

I figured my wireless usb adapter must be going out but then I remembered that my motherboard also has a built in wireless adapter. I switched over to that but still had high ping. So for some reason only my computer is having a high ping to the router. I ran a virus check and looks fine and also looked at some wireshark and nothing really popped out at me.

I finally logged into my router and pinged my phone and it had like 80ms average with spikes up to 200, while my phone would show constant <10ms ping at the same time. I have no idea what could be causing these weird problems, anyone have any ideas?

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
It was working fine before the physical move. So the problem is something is happening or is interfering between the router and you. Investigate what objects are in the path. Wireless can get fucked up by things turning on, metal objects in the path, ect.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check that the thing isn't near anything that could cause interference (cordless land line phones, etc). You can also try changing the channel on the wifi router.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Definitely try changing the channel on the router.

Any new electronics put in in the area since the change?

Also make sure that your wifi is secure, no MAC addresses you don't recognize connected to it, etc.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So my sister texted me saying she thinks their PC has a virus. I told her to get some antibiotics for it. So she asked what kind and I said penicillin. I haven't heard back from her yet in the last half hour. Lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Now when my family asks me that stuff I tell them to bring it to the geeksquad because their problem sounds real bad. I don't care if they spend $200 and in the process I sound like I'm an idiot with computers

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Eh. Geeksquad is only going to try to do a system restore. At best, someone there will have an A+.

I know it's annoying doing shit for free for family members, but it's good karma.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'll get around to her PC at some point. There's just too much going on right now. I don't think we could even work out a good time for the both of us at the moment.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Eh. Geeksquad is only going to try to do a system restore. At best, someone there will have an A+.

I know it's annoying doing shit for free for family members, but it's good karma.
If it's good Karma then I'm at +million. I don't mind once or twice, but when people are constantly bringing the same shit to you over and over because they know you'll do it for free it gets real annoying. And it's not like there's two of us between my mom's family, my dad's family, and my wife's family - it's literally just me for everyone.

For instance, at Thanksgiving I sat down at my father's and instantly was handed a cellphone and asked to fix something (which I know nothing about) and told the PC upstairs was acting up.. plz.