Congressional Shutdown

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Neither word really describes what's going on well. It's not a slimdown because nothing is fundamentally changing so the government isn't being 'slimmed'. Calling it a slim down is typical willful ignorance. It's only a shutdown in that some services are being shut down.

Government Shutdown, Followed By Default? - Forbes
article_sl said:
. Of the 3.3 million federal employees, only about 800,000 have actually been told not to show up to work. Interestingly, they will likely get paid but only retroactively. Social Security checks will still go out. The military will still operate.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No idea. The article was pretty good but if you have a citation go ahead.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like lots of people marginalize the number anyway. Like, oh, it's only 800k. Yeah, unless you're one of them. Personally, I've got a good 6+ months of savings, so I don't care. This is a vacation for me. But all of my coworkers that I talked to who are also furloughed basically live paycheck to paycheck or pretty close to it. They're fucked right now. Even if we do get back pay, they still have to float themselves through this for however long it lasts.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Does that number include contractors unable to work on projects because of the shut down?
Nope that won't be listed.

I find the article fairly flawed. It tries to blame the market on an Italian senator? Come on now.

It almost sounds like it was written by a Republican as a smokescreen.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Neither term is accurate, but shutdown is definitely the best of the 2.

If they want to rename it, something from the chess world would probably be more appropriate. Like Government Poisoned Pawn Gambit.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I was all about the slimdown
frown.png

Stenodactylus_sl

shitlord
I don't understand why they've closed parks and monuments, but hired guards to keep people from entering them. I agree: Government Clusterfuck is the prime choice

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You realize the government already employed guards prior to shutting down the parks and monuments?