Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I tried Sling when it first came out but it just ran like shit and it probably didn't help that I was using a Fire stick. I later tried Vue, which I liked on both the PS3 and PS4, but they didn't have any local affiliates. So, Superbowl night I had to fuck around to get a Fox stream. They now have the local ABC affiliate on Vue but only Fox Sports Detroit, which I don't think had the Superbowl and doesn't have NASCAR (yes I would like to watch a race every now and then this time of year).

When will these assholes get their shit together and take my money? Is it too much to ask for to not have to deal with cable TV?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I tried Sling when it first came out but it just ran like shit and it probably didn't help that I was using a Fire stick. I later tried Vue, which I liked on both the PS3 and PS4, but they didn't have any local affiliates. So, Superbowl night I had to fuck around to get a Fox stream. They now have the local ABC affiliate on Vue but only Fox Sports Detroit, which I don't think had the Superbowl and doesn't have NASCAR (yes I would like to watch a race every now and then this time of year).

When will these assholes get their shit together and take my money? Is it too much to ask for to not have to deal with cable TV?
DirecTV Now is #1, only problem is there is no DVR yet

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Interesting. Their guide shows that they have our local affiliates by call letters but their signup page says that they have none.
I think it varies by region. in Philly we get everything except CBS. they don't have CBS anywhere I don't think.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, CBS doing their own access thing which actually isn't bad if you watch a couple of their shows.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
DirecTV Now is #1, only problem is there is no DVR yet
And still no Roku app.

They've got me for a few more weeks, and if they don't have Roku support I am cancelling

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Another way to enjoy DIRECTV NOW on Roku

I decided to go look and see if there was any update in regards to the Roku app. While they still don't have it, but claim it is coming soon, you can actually add a handful of the channels directly to your Roku now and login through DirectTV Now.

One guy in that thread is speculating that they have the Roku App all ready to go, but they are holding out until the AppleTV offer is over, some sort of exclusive for Apple. I guess we will see soon.

But for those of you waiting like I am, this is at least something.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Another way to enjoy DIRECTV NOW on Roku

I decided to go look and see if there was any update in regards to the Roku app. While they still don't have it, but claim it is coming soon, you can actually add a handful of the channels directly to your Roku now and login through DirectTV Now.

One guy in that thread is speculating that they have the Roku App all ready to go, but they are holding out until the AppleTV offer is over, some sort of exclusive for Apple. I guess we will see soon.

But for those of you waiting like I am, this is at least something.
They mentioned in their Q1 call that they want to allow the platform to mature a bit before further ezpanding it, meaning they want to get their shit together before they let in hordes of Roku users.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hey guys. I'll read through this thread when j get a chance. I've decided to kill our cable. We use one tv and our Comcast bill is $230 a month. The cable portion is $160.

So anyways, going streaming. Up front I'll say I barely watch TV. Anything I really need I'll download , but there's the wife and kid.

Question 1 - what device do I want for our TV? We have a PS4 and Chromecast now, do I need something more? Firestixk with Kodi? Roku?

Question 2 - what's the best means to get Nick jr streaming? I see Roku has a channel but can't tell if it's free or if it has much content?

Question 3 - the shitty wife channels. Where can I get nbc, abc, fox, HGTV, etc, the normal channels? I see some is on Hulu, is that the best choice here?

Thanks guys. I'll read through this thread too.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Hey guys. I'll read through this thread when j get a chance. I've decided to kill our cable. We use one tv and our Comcast bill is $230 a month. The cable portion is $160.

So anyways, going streaming. Up front I'll say I barely watch TV. Anything I really need I'll download , but there's the wife and kid.

Question 1 - what device do I want for our TV? We have a PS4 and Chromecast now, do I need something more? Firestixk with Kodi? Roku?

Question 2 - what's the best means to get Nick jr streaming? I see Roku has a channel but can't tell if it's free or if it has much content?

Question 3 - the shitty wife channels. Where can I get nbc, abc, fox, HGTV, etc, the normal channels? I see some is on Hulu, is that the best choice here?

Fire stick/box or any Android box, stick is the cheapest route and mainly a price and preference decision. Install kodi. Pay for gears tv $16.99 a month for live tv/channels. $230 goes to $86.99 and you will have wished you switched years ago.

Exodus, Phoenix, Maverick TV, and Gears TV is literally all the add-ons you could ever need maybe add specto which is an exodus clone for redundancy.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
What's the on demand like on that?
It's comparable to any other cable provider I've used, only downside is that it takes them a while to add new shit. On the plus side though a subscription allows you to use the over the top apps for just about every channel that comes with the package. You can also get HBO for $5 more.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Noodleface Noodleface Have my 4 and 2 year old are completely fine with using just the Ps4, because it gets Amazon Prime video (Daniel Tiger, Bubble Guppies, etc), and then Netflix or Hulu has the rest.

The wife channels are going to be the pain in the ass! I'm lucky and my wife doesn't care about that shit, but Hulu is a great option. Wife catches the Kardashians or whatever on there sometimes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I mean my wife is all worried about having Dora but my dude only watches 1 hour of tv a day and pretty sure he doesn't give a shit if Dora stopped showing up.

The wife has all those garbage crime dramas she watches and HGTV.

Worst case I don't really mind torrenting. I've gotten so many nasty letters in the past though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

ask ppl if sling got better, their basic is sling orange at 20bucks and has everything you want for kids and wife, pay for 2months and they give you a free roku express (good to dump in the kid fun room?)