Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Probably a good idea but I just bought two Roku sticks... no big deal I guess, I can always keep those for other TVs in the kids rooms eventually. Fire Box best option if I have Prime or does it not matter?

Time to do some research!

I have two Nvidia shields and they work great. They have a Amazon app, can get Kodi/spmc on them. The 500gb version can run a Plex server. I'd recommend that over anything.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Instead of going with the cheapest option why not take the chance to upgrade to a better system than a Roku?

Go with an AppleTV or Amazon Fire Box.

I have used Roku for years and years, we have three TV's in the house that are Roku brand actually. Compared to a real system it is total garbage for every app though.

Yeah, I have 2 TCL Tvs and 2 roku boxes but I am looking for something to plant Kodi on (I'm late to the party...). A firebox seems pretty easy but I assume the shield is what would be recommended.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah, I have 2 TCL Tvs and 2 roku boxes but I am looking for something to plant Kodi on (I'm late to the party...). A firebox seems pretty easy but I assume the shield is what would be recommended.
The shield is more powerful but if you are streaming with all those shitty addons you don't need power.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Shudder seems to only have a Roku app though. Nothing for Firestick, PS4, or Xbone.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
What do people use for legit digital movie purchases? We've historically used Amazon, but considering VUDU for future non-kiddie purchases because Amazon has declined to figure out how to intuitively provide bonus features - and often doesn't include them at all.

I wish a service provided things like audio commentaries. Seems my only option there is buying/ripping or torrenting BD images?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want to cut my landline phone, anyone use one of these Google Voice gateways?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want to cut my landline phone, anyone use one of these Google Voice gateways?
Nope, people do it frequently though. Why landline though? Why not stay only cellphone?

Google voice won't get you 911 as far as I know so really no reason to have a landline.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Using 2 prepaid SIMs for cellphones, one for me, one for my mom. Costs less than 100 dollars a year each for all the talk and text we ever use. No data when away from wifi but I never use that anyway. Hard to beat that on price.

I figure I could add simultaneous ring to the Google Voice gateway and Voice App on the phones, then you'd have free calling from within the house over both the hard phones and the Google Voice apps on the phones, and prepaid calling on the phones for when outside of wifi range.

911 calling would be on the cell phones only.

It's really just for my mom, so she could use her cell phone or a hard phone in the house fairly seemlessly. I don't use the land line anyway.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Using 2 prepaid SIMs for cellphones, one for me, one for my mom. Costs less than 100 dollars a year each for all the talk and text we ever use. No data when away from wifi but I never use that anyway. Hard to beat that on price.

I figure I could add simultaneous ring to the Google Voice gateway and Voice App on the phones, then you'd have free calling from within the house over both the hard phones and the Google Voice apps on the phones, and prepaid calling on the phones for when outside of wifi range.

911 calling would be on the cell phones only.

It's really just for my mom, so she could use her cell phone or a hard phone in the house fairly seemlessly. I don't use the land line anyway.
You must have a ton of friends.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
DirecTV Now app is now available on Roku. I just ordered a Roku Premiere+ as I had been wanting a second device for my bedroom but holding out because I didn't want another FTV (it sucks) and didn't want to buy ATV because they're coming out with a 4K version soon. The app for Roku is getting great reviews so I'm pretty excited.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I was just coming over to post that. I have 3 Roku's in the house, so I am going through and getting it installed on all of them. Here's to hoping it is better than the FireTV!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was just coming over to post that. I have 3 Roku's in the house, so I am going through and getting it installed on all of them. Here's to hoping it is better than the FireTV!
let me know how you feel about the app

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
let me know how you feel about the app
Well so far it looks and works exactly like the FireTV app. As long as it is more responsive I will be fine.

My one big complaint is that it isn't very intuitive. You have to sort of fumble your way through it until you figure out exactly what to do. For example, who knew that pushing down on the arrow buttons would bring up all the menus? You just have to sort of fumble with the controller until you figure it all out.

Looks like I found a bug already too. I was flipping through the guide and stopped on a show. Then I pushed to the right on the controller to move to the next channel, and then hit back left to go to the previous channel, and it got stuck on the channel I originally swapped to. I had to go back into the guide and change channels a couple of times before it would get off the stuck channel.

Bleh, getting some buffering too. Hopefully it is just early kinks and bugs that need to get worked out.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It seems like it's just a DVR for unencrypted OTA channels. You still need a digital antenna/tuner and you can only watch live TV on Android TV/iOS devices. PS4, Roku, smart TVs, etc. can only watch stuff from the DVR.

Not that you could really expect it to be anything more than that considering it's a new feature being added onto something that only costs $5 a month.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It seems like it's just a DVR for unencrypted OTA channels. You still need a digital antenna/tuner and you can only watch live TV on Android TV/iOS devices. PS4, Roku, smart TVs, etc. can only watch stuff from the DVR.

Not that you could really expect it to be anything more than that considering it's a new feature being added onto something that only costs $5 a month.
I've considered getting an antenna and this piqued my interest even a bit more. I got the lifetime subscription to Plex Pass a year or 2 ago when it went on sale for like $80 bucks or something. I figured with as much as I used Plex it would be worth it if they ever offered something worthwhile.

I will be curious to see how this expands beyond just AndroidTV/iOS.