Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I'm gonna have to check out all the free trial and just see what makes sense. We don't let the kid watch much TV and he's 2 so what does he know.

My wife tends to watch a lot of shows, but more importantly she DVRs a lot of shows. YoutubeTV almost sounds like it would work the best but it's not available here. Next closest is Direct TV. GearsTV is up there too.

Lot of options, just need my wife to figure out which works best for her.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We use Roku. Between Netflix and Hulu, we have pretty much all the shows we'd ever want. For the few we can't get through there, Plex + whatever channels let us get to them, especially FilmOn and SS-Plex for streaming from wherever.

Also, don't know if you have Amazon Prime, but if you do, they have a ton of kid shows.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We use Roku. Between Netflix and Hulu, we have pretty much all the shows we'd ever want. For the few we can't get through there, Plex + whatever channels let us get to them, especially FilmOn and SS-Plex for streaming from wherever.

Also, don't know if you have Amazon Prime, but if you do, they have a ton of kid shows.
Yeah we have prime, in the US it's basically considered a fundamental utility now along with Netflix. I have Plex setup and I taught the wife how to use it. I have given thought to a seedbox and just auto download her shows.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just want live sports. What would be the best option for basic channels (FOX, CBS, NBC) + ESPN, TNT, etc.?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not only is it not legal it's dogshit quality. Unless you're a trailer park heathen you don't want to touch it. For $35/month you can get DirecTV Now with Nick Jr and probably all the shit your wife is looking for. Only downside fopr you is it's not available on PS4.

DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup | Packages Start at $35/mo

What's the cheapest way to stream this until these shitlords support Roku? Chromecast?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What's the cheapest way to stream this until these shitlords support Roku? Chromecast?
Instead of going with the cheapest option why not take the chance to upgrade to a better system than a Roku?

Go with an AppleTV or Amazon Fire Box.

I have used Roku for years and years, we have three TV's in the house that are Roku brand actually. Compared to a real system it is total garbage for every app though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Instead of going with the cheapest option why not take the chance to upgrade to a better system than a Roku?

I have used Roku for years and years, we have three TV's in the house that are Roku brand actually. Compared to a real system it is total garbage for every app though.

Probably a good idea but I just bought two Roku sticks... no big deal I guess, I can always keep those for other TVs in the kids rooms eventually. Fire Box best option if I have Prime or does it not matter?

Time to do some research!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Probably a good idea but I just bought two Roku sticks... no big deal I guess, I can always keep those for other TVs in the kids rooms eventually. Fire Box best option if I have Prime or does it not matter?

Time to do some research!
There should be an iOS app for prime.

I like my appletv more than the fire box for sure.

I would look at those two and an nvidia shield.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

I don't know about AppleTV, but I would argue Fire TV is far worse than Roku. At least the first generation one I had was.

All 3 of my Roku's are great for my needs. Well, except for streaming DirectTV now that is!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Meh, I use a couple of Roku 3s and a Roku 4 for the 4K TV and they're fine for what limited TV we watch. I don't care about any of the additional features (games and whatnot). I have PS3/PS4/X360 for that stuff. Where they can't do something directly, Plex can do it, and they can do Plex.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah we have prime, in the US it's basically considered a fundamental utility now along with Netflix. I have Plex setup and I taught the wife how to use it. I have given thought to a seedbox and just auto download her shows.

aren't her shows mostly just HGTV or Food channel shit that you just flick on the tv and don't give a shit what is on? not like a named show like Rachel ray or some shit right?, few torrenting options for that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
She DVRs the stupid property brother's shows and a few others. Then a bunch of nbc and cbs shows like survivor and other garbage

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
She DVRs the stupid property brother's shows and a few others. Then a bunch of nbc and cbs shows like survivor and other garbage
yea those stupid worthless shows won't be torrented, is what i'm saying, the csi type shows all are along w/ reality tv are tho.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
yea those stupid worthless shows won't be torrented, is what i'm saying, the csi type shows all are along w/ reality tv are tho.
All of those shows are on places like B T N actually. Getting an invite to something like that isn't easy.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Of course there are torrents for them.

Untitled.png

No matter what you think is boring, someone out there wants it.