Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good first step though. Ultimately for this to succeed some kind of net neutrality / title 2 is necessary or the internet providers will kill it before it can take off.
I want title 2 for net neutrality but I'm not sure why you would say that. Sling is coming from dish who is paying for the channels it's much cheaper than normal cable albeit fewer channels but for people like me who watch very little TV this is perfect. Anything I want to catch up on that is not on sling can probably be found on Hulu for like nine bucks a month or Netflix and it comes with sports and news channels.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want title 2 for net neutrality but I'm not sure why you would say that. Sling is coming from dish who is paying for the channels it's much cheaper than normal cable albeit fewer channels but for people like me who watch very little TV this is perfect. Anything I want to catch up on that is not on sling can probably be found on Hulu for like nine bucks a month or Netflix and it comes with sports and news channels.
He is saying that because, like Netflix, they can shape the bandwidth and really screw it up unless Sling pays their extortion fees. Not about redistribution of channels but the IP traffic.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Check your email. I just got a sling invitation.

The Best of Live TV. Just $20 a month.
Watch your favorite live sports, shows, breaking news, plus hit movies and more with our Best of Live TV package featuring ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, CNN, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim!

Take Back TV.

Kids Extra. Only $5 a month.
Add on Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, BabyTV, and ducktv!

News & Info Extra. Only $5 a month.
Add on Cooking Channel, DIY Network, HLN, and Bloomberg News!
I'm going for $25 package with basic + News & Info Extra for the Coking and DIY channels. The two channels I really wanted was Disney for the girls and a news channel. Between this and the $9/month Huluu I'm going to save more then $100/mo. Can't wait till the XB1 app comes out.

The total services I am going to have are
Amazon Prime (Had it before cord cutting though because 2 day shipping)
Netflix Streaming (Had it before cord cutting because cheap, House of Cards, and decent streaming collection
Hulu (Acquired as a result of choosing to cord cut)

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Got rid of Dish Network about 5 months ago. Don't miss it one bit. I don't watch news or sports though. I use Netflix, Amazon andPopcorn Time - Downloadto watch tv shows and movies. On stuff I really like I just buy the season on Amazon and the episode is usually available the day after it airs on network tv.

Column_sl

shitlord
Cable companies must be hurting right now Comcast just offered me a 50 dollar flat rate for 150 down and 20 up with the modem, and they threw in a digital box with there standard lineup with HBO, and comcast version of Netflix.

That's 5 bucks more then I pay now for just internet from them....

Still said no because I want cable to die, and for them to go all internet.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Cable companies must be hurting right now Comcast just offered me a 50 dollar flat rate for 150 down and 20 up with the modem, and they threw in a digital box with there standard lineup with HBO, and comcast version of Netflix.

I think more that they see the future and are trying to lock people into contracts now.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Did they tell you about the secret clause where they'll deny ever offering you that deal and fuck you sideways for the next 6 months until you finally give in and pay a $1000 fee to get out from under them?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Don't forget that in 6-12 months they'll claim it was a temporary promo and start billing you for triple the original price!

jeydax

Death and Taxes

They just started a 105 down/whatever up in our area too for $50/m. I'm currently at 50 MB down for the same price and will be moving soon so I'm crossing my fingers I can get the 105 down for the same price. Question for people who've dealt with comcast in the past, should I just cancel my service at our current place and reorder the new stuff once we move? Or just tell them we're moving and have them move the service to the new address? What is easiest/best?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Also, to answer the original question to the thread: we do not nor will we ever have cable TV or any sort of service like that.

In our living room we have a Samsung smart TV that has a HTPC hooked up to it which we can obviously run Netflix, Hulu, any torrent videos, from and it is nice for my fiance to be able to do her Facebook/Amazon/internet crap on it with a keyboard. The HTPC also pulls from the Plex server that is on my computer. Any new TV shows that her or I want to watch (Archer, SouthPark, etc for me - Modern Family, New Girl, Once Upon a Time, etc for her) I just download and throw on Plex. New episodes are normally online 10-15 minutes after they air and we really don't have time to watch them live 99% of the time anyways.

In our bedroom we have a Chromecast hooked up that can do Netflix/Hulu/Plex/etc as well. Both TV's have soundbars hooked up to them so if we are ever hosting people it is really easy to play Songza/Pandora/any music on our harddrives too so it really is a complete and easily usable multimedia system.

For sports I thankfully have ahttp://www.mma-tv.netaccount which has virtually every sporting event including NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA football/basketball/etc, soccer, cricket... basically name the sport and it'll be on there. It also shows major TV shows live a lot of the time and other major TV things.

So yeah screw cable TV. We'll never get it. Internet is all you need.

Siliconemelons

does sling work on your TV or are we looking at computer only? I know they would need an app or whatever like Netflix.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
does sling work on your TV or are we looking at computer only? I know they would need an app or whatever like Netflix.
Sling currently works on roku3, android, and iOS devices (I think Amazon fire stick to). XB1 support has been announced but the app is not completed yet. Note that you are only allowed to watch sling on one device at a time and they are still working on plans to support multiple devices and if it will be for an additional cost. Note there is no PC viewing option at this time.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Sling currently works on roku3, android, and iOS devices (I think Amazon fire stick to). XB1 support has been announced but the app is not completed yet. Note that you are only allowed to watch sling on one device at a time and they are still working on plans to support multiple devices and if it will be for an additional cost. Note there is no PC viewing option at this time.
The invite I literally just got says PC and Mac, so I'm not sure you are correct. I haven't done anything with it yet to verify that claim, but here's the email as evidence.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There is a PC viewer. I got my invite. Not many channels. The quality is OK though.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Couple things about Sling TV.

It's in it's own app window. Can't use it with Chromecast. Says that firestick support is coming soon though. When minimized for 5 minutes let's say...the video freezes and you need to swap channels. No way to record shows. Very few channels, BUT the ones you will want I guess. TNT TBS ESPN etc.

It has ESPN and TNT, so I will keep it. 7/10 for me personally.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Can you pause live TV with it? Not being able to record shows or watch on demand seems like a pretty big knock on it.