Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I don't pirate nearly as much TV as I used to. Pretty much everything we want to watch is either on Netflix or Hulu Plus. I think I'll skip Amazon Prime, though, because it isn't worthwhile if it's the weakest of the three as far as streaming content goes. I just wish I could reliably get Netflix DVD in Canada.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I almost never watch anything on Amazon. It just doesn't seem remotely as good as Netflix.

That said, I keep it for Prime shipping because I order an obscene amount of stuff from Amazon.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the Prime video is just a side benefit for the main reason I have Prime. I think maybe I've watched something on Prime 3 times.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Amazon Prime is amazing if you have children. (Hi2u Dora and Diego). Also you can save a few dollars on the movies you end up buying with those promotional credits you slowly stack up on Amazon. You don't HAVE to buy movies but my girls watch Frozen only about 6 times a day when I let them so renting wasn't cost effective.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you're American, yes. If not, no, unless I ship to somewhere-near-the-border and pick everything up there, which is potentially doable for me.

I applied for their free month and the wife and I are going to look through their kids' stuff. If it's anywhere near as good as it looks, we'll probably get it just for that. Our daughter chews up kid shows like they're, well, food.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
as far as I am aware, they have not released the details other than in vague terms about it being "a premium service that will be priced as such".

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Haven't had cable in about 4 years. I keep Hulu and netflix around for lazy days but for the most part I just torrent what I want to watch. I watch games and such out at bars or over at a buddy's house.

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Is anyone privvy to details on HBO's standalone streaming service?
I have been using HBO GO for the past few months with my brother's login & PW from his provider. The website and streaming works well. AFAIK sometime in 2015 HBO GO will become available through a netflix type subscription. Have been watching True Blood / Game of Thrones so far.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So no ABC/Fox/NBC/CBS on SlingTV? Have to go HD rabbit ears for those?
Yes rabbit ears or a cable tv package. They seem to be adding a few more channels here and there to Sling TV as it goes along. So long as the base price of $20 doesn't start going upward like typical cable I'm ok. The best solution would be al la carte channels but in the meantime I'll take the 5$ addon packs. It doesn't actually matter in the long run since it only only becomes easier and easier to find content online and if Cable doesn't convert to IPTV fast enough then there will be a Popcorn client for TV.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The only trepidation i have for going 100% streaming is the nickle and dime services ill have to buy eventually going to cost relatively the same amount as my at&t service.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It probably will, but depending on your TV habits, it could wind up being a much better service.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The only trepidation i have for going 100% streaming is the nickle and dime services ill have to buy eventually going to cost relatively the same amount as my at&t service.
There is already a more competitive online market then there is for cable. I can't see how anyone will hope to keep costs high even with exclusivity deals since those very deals will push people to use.. "free" services. See Game of Thrones and HBO.