Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The issue is that you have to maintain two copies of the file until your ratio is finalized.
Well obviously that depends on how you have it set up. My seedbox makes a copy and puts it in Dropbox, but maintains its own copy for seeding purposes. When I pull it from the Dropbox on my home computer, it deletes the copy on the seedbox.

Like I said I don't care who does what or who pays for what, but just offering alternatives. I pay for newsgroup data too, although I rarely use it. I should probably cancel it at some point and just buy monthly if I ever need it again.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Why bother with all that horse shit, let alone PAY for it when any monkey can simply torrent the exact same thing?
Yeah, that's kinda where I was going with this, especially with Popcorn Time and a VPN. Click on something, click on Watch, and done. No storage, no moving files around, no nothing, just a movie on the screen. You can keep the files when it's done, but... why bother? If I want to see it that many times, I'll torrent it manually.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I use the SSL version trackers too over IPT / BTN. Any file on IPT over 8GB in size is "freeleach" and I only ever download BluRay quality movies in 1080p, so that is pretty much every single download. I have entire BR season rips of TV series too and on BTN, it has nothing to do with actual upload seed ratio vs time seeded. (Single episode = 3 days / full Season Rip = 1 week?) It takes an extra kind of special to fuck up ratios on these sites.
IPT more recently switched over to either a positive ratio, or via time seeded, but it's 3 weeks I think? Still not a huge deal to just let it sit in your torrent client for 3 weeks, but this didn't use to be an option. BTN is pretty locked down as far as invites, so consider yourself lucky.

Plus, yes... paying for a seedbox, dropbox, and potentially VPN isn't any cheaper than what someone pays for newsgroups.

I'm not sure why the hate towards newsgroups. Both options work very well. Torrents has gotten a lot more automated, where in the past it really wasn't at all, and so at this point, as has been said, why change? My newsgroups works very well.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think I'll probably drop my seedbox now, actually. I see no reason to keep it going now that I can use PT to watch 99% of what I want, and SSL + IPT/TorrentLeech for whatever I want to actually keep. My ratio at IPT is so ridiculous that I'll never have a problem at this point.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just FYI, I don't pay for a Seedbox, or Dropbox, and VPN will get you banned over at BTN.

I get people are used to their newsgroups. I just don't see why it is worth paying for when I can take a few minutes and clicks for the exact same effect.

(All my downloads are dumped to my 15TB NAS and my HTPC running Kodi scrapes everything and organises on its own.)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Looks like torrents have come quite a way since I last used them... that's cool. Both SickBeard and CouchPotato also work with torrents, so you don't lose functionality on that end. May have to look into this again next time my subscription expires...

Maybe the one remaining concern then is data caps. I'm stuck with Comcast and they're testing them in some regions. If that gets rolled out, I wouldn't want to use my limited data to seed.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Just FYI, I don't pay for a Seedbox, or Dropbox, and VPN will get you banned over at BTN.
Yeah - I got banned cause I snagged a torrent while I was VPNed in - just forgot it was on, and they aren't fucking around - they kicked my ass out quick, and I had months of excellent seeding/ratios on my seedbox.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah - I got banned cause I snagged a torrent while I was VPNed in - just forgot it was on, and they aren't fucking around - they kicked my ass out quick, and I had months of excellent seeding/ratios on my seedbox.
Yea, I worry about making the same mistake. It's easy to forget I am VPN'd for other reasons and just happen to browse around and forget.

I've basically made a habit of simply adding my BTN torrents in the morning before work only.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That really blows about the BTN VPN thing, but fortunately I got annoyed with turning the VPN on and off a year ago and bought a second (cheap via Reddit) Windows 8 license and now only run my VPN through a virtual box (and rarely at that, since I use the Dropbox thing now). Otherwise I guarantee I'd have been hit by now, and super, super pissed about it.

Even still, favorited shows and the rss feed pick up 95% of my shows anyway, I rarely actually check the site itself except when I'm bored.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That really blows about the BTN VPN thing, but fortunately I got annoyed with turning the VPN on and off a year ago and bought a second (cheap via Reddit) Windows 8 license and now only run my VPN through a virtual box (and rarely at that, since I use the Dropbox thing now). Otherwise I guarantee I'd have been hit by now, and super, super pissed about it.

Even still, favorited shows and the rss feed pick up 95% of my shows anyway, I rarely actually check the site itself except when I'm bored.
Which user class do you need to be in order to use the RSS feed? I know I am not there yet, I have a promotion in 12 more snatches though.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got points, data, and snatches for my next two upgrades. Just waiting on the time on site. I get "Elite" in <2 weeks.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I had whatever class had 250 snatches, but I had 750,000 extra points because I seeded things for months at a time. I'm on Freshon now, but it's bad compared to BTN. (Lack of content).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I don't use the VPN from the PC on my desk, only the one on the TV that plays from Popcorn Time. Might have to look into SickBeard and CouchPotato, though, if only to avoid the wars over which version of PT is the "right" one and to be responsible for my own setup instead of relying on someone else's. As much as I do like PT, it's probably going to go away again at some point given its mainstream media coverage.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Which user class do you need to be in order to use the RSS feed? I know I am not there yet, I have a promotion in 12 more snatches though.
Power User is when you get it, but if you can't wait like I couldn't, I simply donated once and that automatically grants it to you permanently. I believe I did something easy like 10 or 20 euros.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Power User is when you get it, but if you can't wait like I couldn't, I simply donated once and that automatically grants it to you permanently. I believe I did something easy like 10 or 20 euros.
Power User is my next class and I am only 12 snatches away. Everything else I have probably even to the class after that, it's just snatches that are low because I just use it to fill episodes that were corrupted on newsgroups.

Stat Need Have
Total data Need 250.00 GB. You have 2.32 TB. Requirement reached
Minimum bonus points Need 250,000 bonus points. You have 749,018. Requirement reached
Minimum snatches Need 250 snatches. You have 236. Requirement not reached
Minimum time Need to have been a member for 4 weeks. You have been a member for 1 year, 1 month. Requirement reached
H&Rs Need to have: 0 You have: 0 Requirement reached

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why bother with all that horse shit, let alone PAY for it when any monkey can simply torrent the exact same thing?
A few people have already mentioned it, but you've basically got 2 "safe" choices:

1) Torrent using a seedbox
2) Newsgroups

Both require you to paysomething. I went with newsgroups just because they seem a bit more consistent than torrents. By that I mean that torrents are more widespread and therefore lots more people use them. That makes them the target of takedowns. How many major torrent websites have disappeared in the last few years? Now how many newsgroup indexers?

When IPT finally disappears, where will you go?

Speaking of, I'm amazed that IPT is still around. I've had an account forever and it hasn't changed much.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't see anyone talking about 1Channel or Icemovies for XMBC/Kodi? They're pretty amazing and seems like you can get them working on any device, with a little finessing even got it working without a PC on my FireTV Stick.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really haven't missed it yet. Kids just watch stupid kids shows. I do not follow television shows anymore so I just pick and pop as I see fit. Netflix in and of itself is fine so far.