Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I think the thing that really craps it out is that periodically it'll try redownloading a ton of shit that's already on my drive. So, then I'll do a "force recheck" and the 300 items its rechecking kills download speed and freezes the program, lol.

So, probably a similar, if not the same, thing you're talking about.
Oh shit, yeah that's gonna do it for sure. If you're going to do that, at least only select a couple at a time and do them like that. Rechecking the entire torrent list is just asking for overload.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I bought a NAS seeeeveral months ago and finally moved my Plex server to the NAS. I had been hosting it on my PC bc I was afraid I'd get degredation or something. But, I'd always run into weird outlier cases where my PC would get an Windows Update restart while I was away on a trip or something and could no longer access it.

Well, boy was I wrong. The Plex server is actually better on my NAS than it was on my PC for whatever reason. My PC is top of the line too, so idk whats up with that. But I'm happy that there's been little to no loss in the quality of streaming.

Having said that I use Deluge to download a lot of my torrents, but it's been crapping out hard here lately. I'll open it, click it, and it will freeze to the point that I can't even end its task in Task Manager.

Soooo, what's a better torrent downloader?

What NAS are you running? I have a TrueNAS box running Plex and Transmission (among other things), with the jail for Transmission set so that it only has network access through my VPN. It's been perfect for my purposes.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What NAS are you running? I have a TrueNAS box running Plex and Transmission (among other things), with the jail for Transmission set so that it only has network access through my VPN. It's been perfect for my purposes.

Synology I think it’s called.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That's a lot. What's the interface like?
Screenshots here.

In your shoes I might not bother if there are built-in options. For me it was a two-click install (once I had the NAS set up, which was a pile of work.)

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
BrutulTM BrutulTM what is the uptime like on Starlink? Is it stable enough to use as a business' internet pipe?
I don't remember the last time I had downtime. When it first came out there would be like 10 minute drops but these days it's totally solid at least where I am. My app currently says "There have been no outages 2 seconds or longer in the last 12 hours".

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Synology I think it’s called.
Synology NASes are pricey, but really good. We have an 8 bay with all the bells and whitles, including duel NICs assigned to both my main subnets in the house. Thing runs Plex like a champ (we even stream our music and blue ray rips over the internet/cellular when travelling) along with a bunch of containers doing other random shit for us. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Google webpass (fiber to the MDU) has been amazeballs so far. I do WFH 2 days a week, and my connection here is faster than it is at work.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So my mom has wasted money on tv for years, dodging back and forth between dish and direct. We live in a small town so that's all there is. Both are crooked as hell and slowly raise your bill, hoping you won't notice, until you get angry enough to switch to the other one.

The minimum buyin now is 80 bucks, and having interviewed her extensively about what she watches, it is a grand total of 8 channels. 5 of which are locals, and 2 of which are no longer even available on direct.

The 3 non locals are covered by discovery+ (magnolia, food, diy), so I'm thinking of just going oldschool antenna. I should be able to get all the local channels over the air right?

Being in the middle of nowhere and probably 100ish miles from the broadcast towers, I'll probably need some kind of outdoor antenna on a pole. Are any of you in a similar situation? There are so many choices on amazon.

Then I think I need some kind of digital tuner to switch channels and take the signal from the antenna cable and turn it into HDMI juice.

Then I also need some kind of pi like media computer or a firestick or something to do the discovery+ thing. I dread the training with that. The dreaded input button and second remote.

Saving 100 dollars a month is a good motivator though. I need to read this entire thread.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So my mom has wasted money on tv for years, dodging back and forth between dish and direct. We live in a small town so that's all there is. Both are crooked as hell and slowly raise your bill, hoping you won't notice, until you get angry enough to switch to the other one.

The minimum buyin now is 80 bucks, and having interviewed her extensively about what she watches, it is a grand total of 8 channels. 5 of which are locals, and 2 of which are no longer even available on direct.

The 3 non locals are covered by discovery+ (magnolia, food, diy), so I'm thinking of just going oldschool antenna. I should be able to get all the local channels over the air right?

Being in the middle of nowhere and probably 100ish miles from the broadcast towers, I'll probably need some kind of outdoor antenna on a pole. Are any of you in a similar situation? There are so many choices on amazon.

Then I think I need some kind of digital tuner to switch channels and take the signal from the antenna cable and turn it into HDMI juice.

Then I also need some kind of pi like media computer or a firestick or something to do the discovery+ thing. I dread the training with that. The dreaded input button and second remote.

Saving 100 dollars a month is a good motivator though. I need to read this entire thread.
Its been like 6 years since I cut the cord, but if memory serves me, there was an online site that would let you know the various broadcast towers around you and how far they would expect you to get the signal and then suggestions on what you needed to do to get better reception. I was only about 35 miles from the towers so a pretty basic window antennae worked for us. I little Google-Fu should get you going in the right direction.

Edit: this page might be a good start:

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
many of the directional antennas can be installed in the attic as well
a35df56491ae458068e081838376845e.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
try this site, i was able to find antennas w/ the most remote place in tn
I got one "red" channel and 4 "grey" ones. The red channel is the one I grew up watching, a weird amalgamation which showed CBS in prime time and then switched to NBC at 9PM for some reason. We could sometimes pick up a PBS channel when we were kids but it required physically turning the antenna on the roof and then turning it back so we really had to want to watch Sesame Street bad to convince my Dad to do it.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Its been like 6 years since I cut the cord, but if memory serves me, there was an online site that would let you know the various broadcast towers around you and how far they would expect you to get the signal and then suggestions on what you needed to do to get better reception. I was only about 35 miles from the towers so a pretty basic window antennae worked for us. I little Google-Fu should get you going in the right direction.

Edit: this page might be a good start:
I've used RabbitEars.Info for getting a station list and where to point my antenna.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Thanks! I had looked at the mapping sites. Like most things our area isn't really covered well by the sites. I had a panic at first thinking none of our stations were broadcasting, but a second site had more information.

I think we are in a bit of a valley so this whole thing might not work. Also I was hoping to get one of the 360 degree antenna. There are stations in 3 directions here.

I think I might just order one on amazon with the "free returns!" thing and if it doesn't work out just send it back. We already have a small pole up on the roof for wireless inet (the only option here).

I'm guessing since signals are digital now you either get a clear picture, garbled macroblocks, or nothing at all? I remember the old days of static and snowy pictures.