Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We tested using Starlink for communications at remote substations that we couldn’t reach with fiber, microwave, or FirstNet. Results were positive as I understand, left prior to the conclusion. We’d like to test it on LMR sites next year and see how it would work. Need to talk to coworker about that, good reminder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got my first taste of Starlink. Cruise ship I am on uses it. Obviously being split with lots of other users but I'm getting 10meg consistently and uptime has been 100% so far. Fast enough to stream video on my phone and cast it to the Google TV.
And shit post on FOH.
Been curious how well that works. I have google fiber for now, but having options never hurts.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Had my first Starlink glitch. Throughput log jammed and I had to cycle the wifi connection. Back to normal after that.

Screenshot_20231207_145830_Settings.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I got Paramount plus free through Walmart plus. Holy shit the Paramount plus app on Amazon is AIDS. I mean Jesus its like someone took a phone app from the late 90's and just put a new front end on it. Christ this thing is near unwatchable between crashes, resets and buffering. I thought maybe it was my individual setup and then I took a look at the internet and nope, it aint just me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So I got Paramount plus free through Walmart plus. Holy shit the Paramount plus app on Amazon is AIDS. I mean Jesus its like someone took a phone app from the late 90's and just put a new front end on it. Christ this thing is near unwatchable between crashes, resets and buffering. I thought maybe it was my individual setup and then I took a look at the internet and nope, it aint just me.
It's been very crashy lately. Not as bad as the NFL app though. The game I watched Sunday crashed like 5 times and it doesn't remember where you were so you have to restart the game and then fast forward to where you left off. Also, the FFWD on it is janky as hell. Both Amazon and NBC/Peacock do a great job streaming NFL games but the NFL itself totally sucks at it.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It's been very crashy lately. Not as bad as the NFL app though. The game I watched Sunday crashed like 5 times and it doesn't remember where you were so you have to restart the game and then fast forward to where you left off. Also, the FFWD on it is janky as hell. Both Amazon and NBC/Peacock do a great job streaming NFL games but the NFL itself totally sucks at it.
A company comprised of diversity isn't great at technology? You don't say....

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is just as bad on Roku. For about a week there it refused to let us log in. I think that is why I went and got the Tablo bc we were just trying to watch Amazing Race.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I got an email yesterday that Prime Video is going to start putting ads in their shows at the end of January but I can pay $2.99 a month to get rid of them.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Yeah-- read the entire email. Prime will be offering medical services, drugs, online storage...
I am just going to insert a urinary catheter, rectal tube, an IV and go full matrix.

Dear Prime member,
We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.
Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including:
  • More than 300 million items are available with free Prime shipping and tens of millions of the most popular items are available with free Same-Day or One-Day Delivery.
  • Access to exclusive and broad streaming video content (including Prime Video exclusives like The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Boys, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Citadel, The Wheel of Time, Reacher, and The Summer I Turned Pretty, as well as blockbuster movies such as Air, Creed III, Dungeons & Dragons, Candy Cane Lane with Eddie Murphy, and exclusive live sports including NFL Thursday Night Football).
  • Access to Prime Video Channels, which provides an unmatched selection of subscription channels like Max, Paramount+ with SHOWTIME, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, Crunchyroll, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, and STARZ—with no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Customers only pay for the ones they want, and can cancel anytime.
  • The ability to use your Prime shopping benefits—like fast, free delivery, a seamless checkout experience, 24/7 live chat support, and hassle-free returns—on online stores beyond Amazon.com with Buy with Prime.
  • Exclusive deals and shopping events like Prime Day.
  • Ad-free listening of 100 million songs and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music.
  • Prescription medications as low as $1 per month and fast, free shipping from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • Access to unlimited eligible generic prescription medications for only $5 per month (including free shipping) with RxPass from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • High-quality health care from One Medical for only $9 per month (or $99 annually), with the option to add up to five additional memberships for the family for only $6 per month (or $66 annually) each.
  • Free two-hour Fresh grocery delivery on orders over $100 (and delivery charges between $6.95 to $9.95 for orders less than $100), and in-store savings on select groceries at Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market stores across the U.S.
  • Unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos.
  • Gaming benefits with Prime Gaming.
  • More than 3,000 books and magazines with Prime Reading.
  • A free, one-year Grubhub+ membership trial valued at $120 per year, offering unlimited $0 delivery fees on orders over $12.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah-- read the entire email. Prime will be offering medical services, drugs, online storage...
I am just going to insert a urinary catheter, rectal tube, an IV and go full matrix.

Dear Prime member,
We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.
Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including:
  • More than 300 million items are available with free Prime shipping and tens of millions of the most popular items are available with free Same-Day or One-Day Delivery.
  • Access to exclusive and broad streaming video content (including Prime Video exclusives like The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Boys, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Citadel, The Wheel of Time, Reacher, and The Summer I Turned Pretty, as well as blockbuster movies such as Air, Creed III, Dungeons & Dragons, Candy Cane Lane with Eddie Murphy, and exclusive live sports including NFL Thursday Night Football).
  • Access to Prime Video Channels, which provides an unmatched selection of subscription channels like Max, Paramount+ with SHOWTIME, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, Crunchyroll, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, and STARZ—with no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Customers only pay for the ones they want, and can cancel anytime.
  • The ability to use your Prime shopping benefits—like fast, free delivery, a seamless checkout experience, 24/7 live chat support, and hassle-free returns—on online stores beyond Amazon.com with Buy with Prime.
  • Exclusive deals and shopping events like Prime Day.
  • Ad-free listening of 100 million songs and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music.
  • Prescription medications as low as $1 per month and fast, free shipping from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • Access to unlimited eligible generic prescription medications for only $5 per month (including free shipping) with RxPass from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • High-quality health care from One Medical for only $9 per month (or $99 annually), with the option to add up to five additional memberships for the family for only $6 per month (or $66 annually) each.
  • Free two-hour Fresh grocery delivery on orders over $100 (and delivery charges between $6.95 to $9.95 for orders less than $100), and in-store savings on select groceries at Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market stores across the U.S.
  • Unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos.
  • Gaming benefits with Prime Gaming.
  • More than 3,000 books and magazines with Prime Reading.
  • A free, one-year Grubhub+ membership trial valued at $120 per year, offering unlimited $0 delivery fees on orders over $12.
Welp, just means I will never use prime video again. I used it because it was free and no ads. None of their content is worth watching if I have to watch ads. Fuck all of that. It was nice while it lasted, but was never why I had Prime in the first place. The free shipping is reason #1.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Time to see if shit like Blokada works on my Shield I guess.

Anyone have experience with Blokada or Adguard? I'm a little more skeptical of Adguard because most of the literature on it is directly from Adguard itself.

Apparently the newer versions of Blokada aren't free, nor are they designed for use with GoogleTV, so I found a mirror that has version 4.15 (supposedly the best one) that I'll be trying whenever I notice this shit showing up on Prime.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Welp, just means I will never use prime video again. I used it because it was free and no ads. None of their content is worth watching if I have to watch ads. Fuck all of that. It was nice while it lasted, but was never why I had Prime in the first place. The free shipping is reason #1.
I use usenet to download everything I watch, even though I pay for prime. I don't like their interface

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Plex can integrate it iirc?

Plex won't do it alone, but there are several choices for usenet clients and indexers that work together via API and work seamlessly with Plex once set up. I use NZBGet and Sonarr together with Plex on my NAS.

• 2Like