Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
3. FMLA is harder to get if you're trying to be legit about it, sure, and far easier than when I was in the VA system and they'd reject anything and everything that wasn't a few prescriptions. Private insurance, though, my own doctors have been talking for years about just doing FMLA for myself before COVID came along and disability and shit. So, yeah, it's an option, but I'm just trying hard to not be the broke-dick in the relationship, because I'm a hypocrite and will encourage my girlfriend to take government handouts but will resist them myself at all costs.

A few years ago I was having severe stomach bleeding/inflammation issues to the point where it was impacting my ability to be at work. Filed for FMLA, the gastro said I had the ability to be off work for 1-2 days a week for perioidic flare-ups for the next 6 months.

So, a couple months go by of the 1-2 times a week, and my condition starts improving. I go almost a month without any issues, then get a week where i have to take 2 days again and I get a letter saying "This FMLA usage isn't consistent with your doctor's orders" and they canceled it and told me I needed to to get recertification.

I was literally told "you're not using your FMLA enough so we're taking it away."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A few years ago I was having severe stomach bleeding/inflammation issues to the point where it was impacting my ability to be at work. Filed for FMLA, the gastro said I had the ability to be off work for 1-2 days a week for perioidic flare-ups for the next 6 months.

So, a couple months go by of the 1-2 times a week, and my condition starts improving. I go almost a month without any issues, then get a week where i have to take 2 days again and I get a letter saying "This FMLA usage isn't consistent with your doctor's orders" and they canceled it and told me I needed to to get recertification.

I was literally told "you're not using your FMLA enough so we're taking it away."
I spent 20 years at a big union company. Because our company had paid sick time if approved by a doctor, and approved FMLA protected the employee from getting hit with absences, we had an entire network of FMLA queens gaming the system. As soon as they exhausted their FMLA protections, they miraculously got better and came back for a couple weeks. A month or two later they got struck with a totally new and unrelated "illness". It was funny how their asthma/IBS/migraines/etc always seemed to flair up on a Monday or Friday.

We fired a handful for fraud when we caught them but by and large the process of dealing with it was such a pain in the ass most supervisors said fuck it.

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Interesting panel dealing with Swedish response and possible effects on the economy, public health and public opinion.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Sounds about right.

On the one hand, anything involving the government is very deterrent based and mired in bureaucracy but once you get through the hoop they'll do a lot to keep you jumping to justify their budgets and all the bureaucracy. And of course it justifies all the social programs and the advocates and funds the healthcare system and the list goes on and on of organizations that depend on the bureaucracy not only existing, but being as convoluted as possible.

It all feels very needless, and despite the good intentions and support being there when needed for some people at some times, if feels generally like the system is a step back from the horrible old days when you'd just have a good relationship with your employer and they'd help figure stuff out with you.

Having been in the military and VA system and going through seeing someone file for disability it's astonishing how often you do exactly what they direct you to do for them to only then deny you or be confused why you did what you did the way you did it. The army actually taught us (like literally in a class) to call the same offices back over and over until you get the answer you want, because even talking to the same person with all the same regulations you'll eventually get a different answer, so just wait until it's the answer you need. The government having to teach the government how to work around the government to get any governmenting done.

And then you get shit like video game addiction now being a valid disability. I've face a lot of judgement and scrutiny most of my life for playing too many video games, but who knew I was just a poor victim of a disability this whole time! I'm a video game survivor, really, a hero for my managing my addiction so well! (and yes, the point is there are people that struggle with video game addiction to the point of ruining their lives, but do we have to make it into social program or entire nanny state to get those few individuals the help they need?)

And it's not like the government is particularly competent and it's all just part of their well thought out plan to help people.

For instance, on the unemployment website there is a chat box. It says it can't connect outside of normal hours. So, I try to chat the next day, but it's just an automated FAQ sort of system. Why couldn't an automated system work outside of normal hours?! Thankfully my EQ quest experience taught me what to do, so I type in "help" and then "person" and it finally tells me it's an automated system (no shit!) and says to contact the jobs office to chat with live personnel for questions about unemployment claims. I get connected, and the lady on that chat says they aren't trained or supposed to answer questions about employment claims, but will try to help. So, I quote-mark questions I have about the wording on the webpage. She spends like five minutes 'researching' my issues, and then helps by emailing me screenshots of the same wording on their website. And of course suggests I just call the help line, which I had called 50 times over 2 days and never even through enough to be put on hold but instead the system just disconnects with a message they're experiencing heavy volume. But don't worry, on the website they provide a chat box if you have a question and haven't been able to get through to someone on the phone!

But there is no power in 'yes,' so take some sick leave so your doctor can fill out the same form again so your employer can justify the HR department and everyone can feel better about themselves for putting in so much effort to keep you healthy and you'll be right back to where you were before somebody decided to arbitrarily say no just to justify their bureaucratic existence.

itsallsotiresome.docx

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Many of the gyms near me stay packed. Like, there are 3 people waiting in line for the squat rack ahead of you packed. It's why I'm not raising hell that my gym is still charging me even though they are closed. They are one of the few gyms not like that around here and are the closest to my house by about 20 minutes.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Hey Guys,

In an effort to keep this thread GU Friendly we moved some posts to the Corona Thread in the General Forums. No other moderation actions were taken.

Thanks for understanding and please let us know if we missed anything.

The Amod Team
Another Batch got sent over to the General Thread. Keep posts GU Friendly in here please.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Many of the gyms near me stay packed. Like, there are 3 people waiting in line for the squat rack ahead of you packed. It's why I'm not raising hell that my gym is still charging me even though they are closed. They are one of the few gyms not like that around here and are the closest to my house by about 20 minutes.

This is why you go at 4 am.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For those of you that have the freezer space for it (and haven't done it already) you might consider stocking up on a large meat bundle from a butcher's shop. Just got back from the local grocery store and the ground beef was up more than a dollar a pound from the usual price. Whether there's an actual shortage brewing or if it's just suppliers capitalizing on the media fear-mongering, prices are definitely going up.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
There are certainly some waves coming through the supply chain as far as meat is concerned.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For those of you that have the freezer space for it (and haven't done it already) you might consider stocking up on a large meat bundle from a butcher's shop. Just got back from the local grocery store and the ground beef was up more than a dollar a pound from the usual price. Whether there's an actual shortage brewing or if it's just suppliers capitalizing on the media fear-mongering, prices are definitely going up.
Butcher by our house stopped doing freezer bundles due to shortages this is what they posted on their website

Product availability for the upcoming weeks is sketchy at best. Many processing plants around the country had to close or reduce production.

I would guess trump is going to do everything possible to prevent a nationwide meat shortage because it would be incredibly damaging for his re-election chances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Noticed this when I got some ground beef this week. Chicken was the same price

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea after word last month of several processing plants having big spikes in cases I packed the freezer

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We've got a lot of food stocked up but only so much meat. It's enough to survive a shortage but not really comfortably. Thankfully we eat almost exclusively chicken

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As an middle class white American making a 5%ers salary no I don't. I do fast for 16 hours a day though so I am on a different level.

Unless you were calling me fat you somovabitch

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
As an middle class white American making a 5%ers salary no I don't. I do fast for 16 hours a day though so I am on a different level.

Unless you were calling me fat you somovabitch
I am, you're not going to starve. Good thing our country produces a massive amount of crops that you can get a relatively good diet from