Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

iannis

Musty Nester
Article states you cannot get reinfected.

Yeah, but that's kind of a silly claim to make. It's difficult to make absolute claims in biology like that when it comes to illness or disease. Of course it's -possible- to get reinfected. That's the wrong way to ask the question.

It is not possible to subsist on a diet of 10W20 Penzola Motor Oil and Asshair. Absolute claims have to be very strong.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's kind of what they were thinking in the US too weren't they? Or did that narrative change, I can't keep track.

In my town we had an otherwise upstanding citizen hold someone at gunpoint demanding they repay a loan they took out from him.. got a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of that.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Got the news that my neighbor's 18 year old grandkid died in a car wreck yesterday. They are the people who are posting on FB every day that the quarantine is stupid and things need to be opened back up. Of course they're having a funeral and chances are it will be a big one. Now I have to decide whether to go or not.

So the funeral is today. The kid was a pretty good bronc rider so all the rodeo people are showing up. It's being held at the rodeo arena which I thought would be helpful for social distancing but then I heard this morning that they think 500 people might show up AND they're serving food. Seems like the worst fucking thing you could do during a pandemic. My Mom and stepdad went and she wanted me to go too but once I heard about 500 people I said if there's that many people coming they don't need me. The food is catered subway sandwiches at least which is probably better than potluck which would be more common in this community but still. The new cases in Montana have pretty much dropped to zero and I don't imagine most people coming will be from population centers so hopefully they will get away with it but it seems like a fucking terrible idea to me.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Went and got my free test yesterday.

Was more of a "is this going to be a shitshow" kind of experiment and it was super smooth and easy. Between the drive, waiting in car line and actual testing phase I was back home in under an hour.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Another little clean up, nothing too bad just stuff that does not necessarily meet the criteria of this thread.

Thanks for understanding!

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

In early March, researchers in China said they found that two different types of the coronavirus could be causing infections worldwide.

In a study published on March 3, scientists at Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai found that a more aggressive type of the new coronavirus had accounted for roughly 70% of analyzed strains, while 30% had been linked to a less aggressive type. The more aggressive and deadly strain was found to be prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan — the Chinese city where the virus first emerged.

The Los Alamos researchers, with the help of scientists at Duke University and the University of Sheffield in England, were able to analyze thousands of coronavirus sequences collected by the Global Initiative for Sharing All Influenza, an organization that promotes the rapid sharing of data from all influenza viruses and the coronavirus.

To date, the researchers have identified 14 mutations.

The mutation impacts the spike protein, a multifunctional mechanism that allows the virus to enter the host.

The research was supported by funding from the Medical Research Council, the National Institute of Health Research and Genome Research Limited.

Last edited:

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hair and nails on open on Friday, gyms on the 18th for Texas. Pretty much going full bore down here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Went and got my free test yesterday.

Was more of a "is this going to be a shitshow" kind of experiment and it was super smooth and easy. Between the drive, waiting in car line and actual testing phase I was back home in under an hour.
Are you positive?

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I don't think people will be clamoring for the gym any time soon. But maybe I'm wrong

Totally WRONG... gym people have predominantly practiced reasonable social distancing and good hygiene. You would lose your gym membership in my club if you did not wipe down your equipment and /or bench or if you left the weights on the bar/machine.

Aside from spotting, even group classes were about 6' distancing...

And let's not forget the fact that exercise produces an immediate immune response; you recruit thousands (if not tens/hundreds of thousands) lymphocytes when running/exercising at moderate exertion. You also increase blood flow to capillary beds in the lungs as well as open up/recruit lung tissue that would otherwise be unaerated and more susceptible to infection.

Not having gyms is killing people in more ways than closing them is saving them. Blood clots, increased cholesterol, increased fat, etc etc etc...

• 3Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I'm much more concerned about the air than the equipment at gyms.

I've been more leery of potentially-contaminated spaces rather than potentially-hazardous objects, generally speaking.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I imagine there is a difference between people standing idle in lines versus breathing hard in a jazzercise class. Early on there was that choir that got infected despite distancing because of projected spittle (is the theory). 6 feet is a guideline but maybe not a one-size-fits-all solution. Of course this pandemic has been a clinic in people's inability to grasp nuance. Which is why the government hammers everyone with the same overstated solutions regardless of demographics or geography.

And if even a few months without the gym leads to high cholesterol for someone then, umm, no. That doesn't seem to be how chronic, long term health issues work.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'm much more concerned about the air than the equipment at gyms.

I've been more leery of potentially-contaminated spaces rather than potentially-hazardous objects, generally speaking.

And yet, you never see diseases that are typically passed via contaminated air affecting gym folks-- No Legionella, Aspergillosis, not even reactive airway disease or bronchitis is common in the gym (probably because most people don't work out when they feel sick). You can get impetigo, athlete's foot, maybe even pseudomonal infections of your ear or skin if your gym has a hot tub...

• 1Like