Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A number of restaurants here are trying to be as hands-off as possible and it's resulting in a nice efficient experience. All menus are simple QR codes and payment is handled the same way. Pay when and how you want. It's really easy to divide and pay checks if you have a group. Hope that sticks around. Of course servers will still expect a 20% tip even though a portion of their job isn't even relevant anymore.
I think there's a lot of industries primed for this that were just doing things a certain way because that's how it was done. Like movie theaters, 90% of what we love about them (or at least what I love about them) is nostalgia bullshit that doesn't even apply to the modern movie theater. My kids don't care about the theater, they just want the candy and shit. Or like he mentioned above, doctor's visits are a huge pain in the ass that can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an entire day. The more people change their processes to fit this "new normal" (fucking shoot me) I think the more they will find efficiencies and ways to improve.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well sounds like my grandma is dying from covid tonight. She’s really out of it, breathing is fucked, gone downhill very quickly the past few hours. So sad she has to die alone, probably doesn’t even know where she is. Feel bad for my dad, todays his birthday and he loses his mom. Lost a young cousin on the other side of my family a couple days ago to suicide. This has been a seriously fucked up week.

• 14Solidarity
  • 5Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 19 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Grandma passed tonight. Went from diagnosis to gone within a few days. Will miss her, she was the only person to buy us school clothes and shoes each year, including my parents. Mother fucker of a year.

• 20Solidarity
  • 4Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 24 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sucks, sorry.

Louisiana is moving to phase 3 of opening which at one time was a hostpot. I'm not sure but i think phase 3 is totally open. I talked to someone I know that owns a real small retail business in Baton Rouge and she said business has been picking up.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Sucks, sorry.

Louisiana is moving to phase 3 of opening which at one time was a hostpot. I'm not sure but i think phase 3 is totally open. I talked to someone I know that owns a real small retail business in Baton Rouge and she said business has been picking up.

Are you in Louisiana? I am. Our city had NUMEROUS outbreaks from restaurants this past week. My hospital has been excellent with ZERO Covid cases among the staff, up until this last week when it had multiple that we think started from a social gathering at a restaurant that an outbreak during the window. We went from seeing basically no COVID to seeing 5-10 new ones per day. Anecdotally they are mild cases, but it's a different population because it's all people in their 20s-30s.

Additionally - I've been slacking and going out a lot in public. I've felt headachey and a scratch in my throat and a mild cough right now. No fever or anything else. Very concerned I may have contracted it. Will see how I feel tomm.

Borzak

Are you in Louisiana? I am. Our city had NUMEROUS outbreaks from restaurants this past week. My hospital has been excellent with ZERO Covid cases among the staff, up until this last week when it had multiple that we think started from a social gathering at a restaurant that an outbreak during the window. We went from seeing basically no COVID to seeing 5-10 new ones per day. Anecdotally they are mild cases, but it's a different population because it's all people in their 20s-30s.

Additionally - I've been slacking and going out a lot in public. I've felt headachey and a scratch in my throat and a mild cough right now. No fever or anything else. Very concerned I may have contracted it. Will see how I feel tomm.

Yeah it came out today the Chimes bar and grille right at LSU had some cases, shut everything down.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah it came out today the Chimes bar and grille right at LSU had some cases, shut everything down.
The trick is we can't function as an economy if the target is zero cases. This isnt Ebola. Its going to be around easily into next year. Our choice is a quick trip back to the stone age or we just accept it is with us and high risk groups need to avoid gatherings. Im in S Florida now. Its semi-normal here. Closing down a business at the 1st sign of someone having it isnt a real answer. But fuck, tearing down statues of people because... who the fuck knows why... is a thing too now so we probably should just shut the entire country down until 2024. Just to be safe.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

The trick is we can't function as an economy if the target is zero cases. This isnt Ebola. Its going to be around easily into next year. Our choice is a quick trip back to the stone age or we just accept it is with us and high risk groups need to avoid gatherings. Im in S Florida now. Its semi-normal here. Closing down a business at the 1st sign of someone having it isnt a real answer. But fuck, tearing down statues of people because... who the fuck knows why... is a thing too now so we probably should just shut the entire country down until 2024. Just to be safe.

It didn't say if they had any symptoms or just had the virus in a test. A popular bar next to LSU got a bunch of people that worked there and apparently got into some workers at a hospital. We'll see if it's serious or just they had it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It didn't say if they had any symptoms or just had the virus in a test. A popular bar next to LSU got a bunch of people that worked there and apparently got into some workers at a hospital. We'll see if it's serious or just they had it.
I mean it's the same thing with the Spring Break kids catching it. OMG LOOK THEY CAUGHT IT ON THE BEACH! (and not in a plane which seems far more likely?) You know sure as fuck if any of those kids had died it would have been plastered all over the news, which means all of them were fine.

It's just a narrative game. Look at all these infected people!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's just a narrative game. Look at all these infected people!
If covid was anything close to the threat it is portrayed as, then half the country would be dying of covid right now thanks to the Floyd riots.

Groups of people are naturally sheep, and politicians absolutely love nothing more than to get more power. It leads us to the situation we are in now.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Montana is getting as many or more cases now then we were when NY was at its peak. It's still low numbers compared to urban areas but people are starting to get freaked out again.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Montana is getting as many or more cases now then we were when NY was at its peak. It's still low numbers compared to urban areas but people are starting to get freaked out again.
It's because this one basic fact eludes people. This isn’t something that you are going to avoid getting. Its everywhere and no one is immune. Except for the highest at risk folks, getting this is going to be a fact of life for most people. And statistically it isnt going to be that bad for most folks. If we had a semi-responsible news media they would tell people this. We dont, so they dont.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have an aunt and uncle get "covid-19". I didnt even know about it till my pops told me this past fathers day. I called them up today to see how they were doing and my uncle straight up said "Well, honestly I think we just had the flu. But they said it was COVID-19, so I really have no idea."

So only two questions come across my mind when he tells me something like that. Did they just get classified as having it so the hospital they went to could get the extra money? Or did they legit have it and the symptoms are that trivial for your average healthy person.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is talking out my ass, but I'm almost certain this has been far more widespread than people think because many not-old people have experienced the same or lighter symptoms of this thing. The stories of almost every single person at specific get togethers shows how contagious this thing can be. No way it hasn't spread through various communities or even places like grocery stores. Then think about the protests. I was expecting a massive surge, but it's been weeks and there hasn't been nearly the uptick that was expected.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There has been a noticeable uptick in new cases. Deaths are still going down. And who cares about new cases if severity, hospitalization and deaths are all down.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
And who cares about new cases if severity, hospitalization and deaths are all down.

Well, because...

3492927_0.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Random thought while discussing this over the weekend: if the flu was brand new, what would it look like? 1919 Spanish Flu? Worse?

I was trying to convince my parents that the expectation should be a new seasonal disease like the flu. We still don't have a national testing strategy, I very much doubt we're going to get a vaccine. And like the flu, it will likely just mutate. The expectation should be that we "flatten the curve" and then just deal with people getting sick each year.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Random thought while discussing this over the weekend: if the flu was brand new, what would it look like? 1919 Spanish Flu? Worse?

I was trying to convince my parents that the expectation should be a new seasonal disease like the flu. We still don't have a national testing strategy, I very much doubt we're going to get a vaccine. And like the flu, it will likely just mutate. The expectation should be that we "flatten the curve" and then just deal with people getting sick each year.

What fucking testing strategy do you need? This entire debacle has been ridiculous on EVERY front.

Disease is no more deadly than the flu. We ruined the economy pretending it was. Masks are bad. Wait, masks are good. Wait, masks don't do anything. Wait, wear a mask all the time!

Hospitals are overwhelmed! Except they're empty. You can't come visit anyone in the hospital either. Oh, by the way, your workplace is shut down for the foreseeable future because scary disease might make someone cough a year from now.

Honestly, everyone should be absolutely fucking ashamed at the reaction to this nothingburger.

• 3Picard
  • 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users