Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

2300 workers tested at a meat processing plant. 373 test positive, zero have symptoms. ZERO. Either this is a very unusual virus or the tests don't work or something. Maybe Rhonda Patrick is right and it only affects people with Vitamin D deficiencies or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Update on my personal shit show with all this Covid mess. High risk girlfriend, so we're basically still on indefinite isolation. Her doctors say don't go back to work unless they can provide accommodations, and work has been cool about it but nothing they can do to further reduce my risk, which wasn't much to begin with.

The county and government office I work for went from one week saying it was so risky we had to have limited emergency hours to reduce staff and public exposure, and would follow the Gov stay home order, follow the limited schedule set by court, etc.... but then I guess just got sick of it, so one day just decided back to 'normal'. Which I support, but that doesn't address the issues for people who don't get to go back to 'normal' just because your boss is sick of people getting paid to stay home.

Talk to a nonprofit unemployment attorney says inform work it's not safe to return, and then don't, but doesn't say what to do next. Union rep and attorneys talk to boss and HR and nothing can be done, they aren't doing furloughs and even short term leave without pay could "lead to issues" with my employment. Everyone agrees without any issue or bitterness that it's just not feasible to keep me on, but nobody knows how to proceed. There is apparently no way for a mutual termination, even in the middle of emergency orders and pandemics and shit.

So, got left deciding if I should follow the nonprofit attorney's advice and just not return and make the county terminate me for job abandonment, or follow what the union and my bosses agreed would be better and just quit, which quitting always gets unemployment's panties in a bunch even in a situation like this. But all the emergency money and emergency orders and emergency rules and changes to unemployment and everything and nobody thought to guide even government employers on how to handle these situations. They just sit there and shrug and say I can quit anytime I want.

So, I quit and just have to hope it doesn't screw up unemployment. They're of course back logged to hell. Have never been able to get through on the phone enough to even be put on hold, it just says they're experiencing high volume and hangs up. Just have to apply and fingers cross hope the government will sort things out.

I know my application is at least being reviewed, because first they need more information because I marked that I quit, and then ask a bunch of the same questions I already answered. Then they say they can't verify my identity and I have to fax a copy of my drivers license and social security card (thankfully I realized if you keep clicking past their message to fax them it eventually lets you upload copies directly). That's all I've heard from them in two weeks. And maybe someone committed fraud in my name such that now they can't verify my identity? So a little stressed.

The thing that pisses me off is sure, I got the short end of the stick on this and had to make a tough decision for myself and my own family, but why did we have to treat the entire country like they were high risk? My girlfriend and I are having to distance and wear masks and isolate because of Covid (and honestly would have to anyhow eventually leading up to transplant because even having a cold means you could miss your window), but it makes no sense that it was the 'norm' for everyone.

Of course it becomes a social fad to become Covid Karen mask police about other people not wearing masks, so then I occasionally get looks like I'm some pussy for wearing a mask when my specific situation dedicates it. I have to, and it sucks, but I don't give a shit if others do. I would prefer they do if they're sick or concerned, but when you have an actual relevant situation like we do you're too busy worrying about what you can control to police other people.

And people I talk to now think I must be a super supportive of Democrat overreach suddenly, and I have to explain to them that just because the one-size-fits-all government solution happens to be applicable to my personal situation and I benefit from it doesn't mean it's good policy or applicable to the other 99% of the population being forced into it. I mean, I'm thankful there are resources in place to help people in my situation, but counterpoint, those resources are being drained because the government decided to break the economy, which doesn't help any of us.

Let me tell you this isn't the time to have a nuanced opinion of anything, as people rush to their political corners to argue the most extreme points possible. Like the dumb arguments over masks or not, as if it's there is one solution that applies to everyone. Meanwhile, the people actually dealing with the risks of this are told to shut up by governments and pundits and activists alike so they can keep fighting these dumb political battles.

It's all very dumb and I'm getting sick of being stuck in the middle of pissing contests. And even I'm getting a bit antsy, and I'm pretty introverted and asocial, but we basically haven't done anything social outside of the house in 3 months since we got to start early before emergency orders and stuff. My family isn't local, and it was more fun complaining when I had to go visit with the inlaws instead of not being allowed to. Thankfully my relationship is pretty good and we actually like each other, so aren't at each others throats or bored with each other yet. And my dog is loving me being around and taking him for walks most days, and he's what matters most in his world, so there's that.

What's your work, and what's your GF's high risk?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2300 workers tested at a meat processing plant. 373 test positive, zero have symptoms. ZERO. Either this is a very unusual virus or the tests don't work or something. Maybe Rhonda Patrick is right and it only affects people with Vitamin D deficiencies or something.
Mean age for US butcher and meat workers is 40. These aren't geriatric health-plagued workforces who can barely make it through a day of labor so i don't find that surprising.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's easier to get unemployment after being fired for cause than it is if you quit? I thought you were pretty much out of luck with unemployment either way?

Normally it's bad news either way.

There are 'good cause' reasons you can quit and get unemployment. For instance, right now my girlfriend's new transplant doctor hasn't even been able to get into the country from Austria because of the travel restrictions, so they're saying we might have to go to California for her transplant if it becomes an emergency situation. According to the unemployment website, quitting to move your family for medical reasons I would qualify. So, I think we would have been fine in that hypothetical situation.

But who knows as things that seem clear suddenly aren't when it comes to things like definitions of words and dealing in law or government. Sometimes they mean family members to only be legal children or spouses, sometimes it's anyone in your household, sometimes it's anyone you reside with and share meals. So who knows, and that's one of the things I could never get a hold of unemployment to answer precisely.

With Covid and the new rules and changes, nobody seems to know anything. Expanded rules with the federal guidelines and some states like Washington even put in more rules. So everyone I talk to, from my boss to HR to union rep to union attorney to nonprofit attorney all think I should qualify for unemployment, but nobody is sure. I don't even think the unemployment people are really sure, not that I've been able to talk to anyone (even my email messages haven't gotten any responses), and my guess is they're trying to figure all this out by the seat of their pants as well.

Choices seemed to come down to informing my employer I would not be returning to work, and then just like don't, and let them fire me for job abandonment. That didn't sound good, especially because my boss has been pretty cool and at some point I'd like to have the option of hiring back on to continue accruing retirement. I was worried about job abandonment being on my record for hiring back or if other employers call, too, so union and HR and boss all agreed it would probably be better if I quit, which I was more comfortable with.

But let me tell you, even reading through unemployment guidelines 50 times and thinking you qualify doesn't do much to ease the anxiety of quitting a job in this economy. Especially when they're overloaded with self-inflicted wounds and the system doesn't seem to be able to sustain all the claims.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What's your work, and what's your GF's high risk?

I work in a legal office in the court system so a lot of exposure to the public, criminals, court hearings/dockets (and we learned you can't legally refuse public access) groups of jurors, handling mail and shared documents, etc. She has a congenital heart defect and has had a couple open heart surgeries (once to set it up so only one of her chambers pumped, then to reverse that so the other would pump when he first was failing due to too much muscle and scar tissue). She's pretty stable now, but is technically in heart failure and on the transplant list before she declines too much (with chronic oxygen saturation issues and asthma, so like everything bad for this particular virus). Also, we like to have a good time, but she can't do long walks on the beach.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I think both. There have been weird hints that the tests are still shit, testing for 'a' coronavirus, not 'the' virus, And also that the virus is barely noticeable in the average person, but ravages those at high risk.

I can't remember if it was posted here, but yeah weird things about this virus, or maybe just stuff we're only now noticing due to such heightened attention:

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Anecdotally, and maybe I'm completely wrong, but I feel like a lot of supply chains have broken down. On work level, I've had a shit ton of trouble getting Tequila because it's all out of stock. Various other liquors as well.

On a personal level, electronics are just non existent or way higher price than they should be. I've been thinking about various computer monitors, VR stuff, accessories. So much just not there

Then there is all the food stuff that has been all over the place in price and availability.

Nothing serious, but lots of stuff where it is like "guess I'm just not buying stuff soon"

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
On a personal level, electronics are just non existent or way higher price than they should be. I've been thinking about various computer monitors, VR stuff, accessories. So much just not there

I decided to do a custom loop in my pc since I was spending so much time indoors. Trying to get parts I realized I needed midway into the project has been a pain in the ass and has turned it into a 2 week+ ordeal. BestBuy has absolutely nothing in stock.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Webcams have been sold out everywhere. I was lucky enough to find one on Logitech's site, but some coworkers are still looking for one that not the shitty Apple MacBook one.

• 1Worf

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Figure this-- my friend, an interventional radiologist and a member of the national guard, got Activated for 3 weeks to go to Massachusetts and serve in a nursing home wiping COVID-19 patients' asses. Not kidding. He just got back. He says he is completely traumatized - not by COVID but by the horrors he witnessed at the nursing homes he went to. One place where he was, he tried to educate the personnel at the nursing home so they would stop cross-contaminating all the residents. He was disciplined for trying to help. He said that cases there went from 2 to 50 because of unsanitary practices and conditions. He also said he was treated with utter contempt by the nurses there because he is a physician.

Great use of our National Guard.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Figure this-- my friend, an interventional radiologist and a member of the national guard, got Activated for 3 weeks to go to Massachusetts and serve in a nursing home wiping COVID-19 patients' asses. Not kidding. He just got back. He says he is completely traumatized - not by COVID but by the horrors he witnessed at the nursing homes he went to. One place where he was, he tried to educate the personnel at the nursing home so they would stop cross-contaminating all the residents. He was disciplined for trying to help. He said that cases there went from 2 to 50 because of unsanitary practices and conditions. He also said he was treated with utter contempt by the nurses there because he is a physician.

Massachusetts. Explains a lot. Here in NY Cuomo begged for outside health practitioners to come save NYC. Those that came he thanked by telling them they owed NY income tax for the time they were here saving his ass.

• 1Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

The sad reality of things is that most bad things happen not because of intent but because of incompetence. The larger things/companies get the more true it is.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, all of those temporary hospitals and Navy medical ships ended up housing how many people again?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Webcams have been sold out everywhere. I was lucky enough to find one on Logitech's site, but some coworkers are still looking for one that not the shitty Apple MacBook one.

Apparently GoPro passed a driver / firmware update that allows some of their cams to be used as a webcam. Kinda awesome especially if you need to buy one on the company dime "SINCE ALL THE WEBCAMS ARE SOLD OUT ON AMAZON AND BEST BUY"

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So, all of those temporary hospitals and Navy medical ships ended up housing how many people again?

Double post but..

From what I understand, the ships weren't meant for "Healthy" people, in the sense that they don't have COVID, they were meant for cases where the hospitals had COVID patients and wanted to keep well people away from the sick ones. Most I heard was cases of pregnant women on the ships.

Vinen

God is dead
Double post but..

From what I understand, the ships weren't meant for "Healthy" people, in the sense that they don't have COVID, they were meant for cases where the hospitals had COVID patients and wanted to keep well people away from the sick ones. Most I heard was cases of pregnant women on the ships.

Correct. Media took this one and ran with it in order to spread fear.

In particular the Ships would never be useful for a viral outbreak. They arn't made for that. They are more floating trauma centers.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A friend of mine and his wife tested positive for active covid infection two days ago, the morning after having dinner in our back yard (distanced, no shared food or surfaces). I'm not concerned for myself, but we have been using my in-laws for child care so that my wife and I can work. Odds are low, but there's always the outside chance...

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

The governor closes everything, floods the umemployment office with new claims. In the chaos they get ripped off for 650 million dollars. And the scammers help make the system even more overloaded, causing delays in claims processing for the people who legitimately need those benefits.

I don't know if this is happening in other states, but I'm not surprised it's happening in Washington that prides itself on having a benefits system with the least barriers possible. Illegals can get licenses (with mandatory question about registering to vote). The state does mail in ballots that election officials have admitted it basically an honor system. Poors can get replacement ID cards for $5 with a voucher, even with a temporary in-state address, and then qualify for long-term benefits since having an ID means they're a resident.

It's been like a month since I filed for unemployment and haven't even gotten a response of any kind except that I had to fax/email copies of my license and social security card to verify my identity, which isn't something they apparently bothered doing until 650 million was stolen.

Maybe I'm reaching, but I feel that culture of Washington state making all the benefits and social programs as permissible as possible so they don't cause too much trouble for illegals and poors led to this colossal failure that nobody will be held accountable for.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend's heart transplant team is at the University of Washington Medical Center and locals out there are sending out memos encouraging people to attend protests and politicians are saying some things like protesting for BLM is more important than the stay home order. I tried to talk my girlfriend into telling her doctors she's been following the lead of UW and seattle area politicians, so has been going to protests, but she doesn't think trolling is nice (but somehow loves me).

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

The governor closes everything, floods the umemployment office with new claims. In the chaos they get ripped off for 650 million dollars. And the scammers help make the system even more overloaded, causing delays in claims processing for the people who legitimately need those benefits.

I don't know if this is happening in other states, but I'm not surprised it's happening in Washington that prides itself on having a benefits system with the least barriers possible. Illegals can get licenses (with mandatory question about registering to vote). The state does mail in ballots that election officials have admitted it basically an honor system. Poors can get replacement ID cards for $5 with a voucher, even with a temporary in-state address, and then qualify for long-term benefits since having an ID means they're a resident.

It's been like a month since I filed for unemployment and haven't even gotten a response of any kind except that I had to fax/email copies of my license and social security card to verify my identity, which isn't something they apparently bothered doing until 650 million was stolen.

Maybe I'm reaching, but I feel that culture of Washington state making all the benefits and social programs as permissible as possible so they don't cause too much trouble for illegals and poors led to this colossal failure that nobody will be held accountable for.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend's heart transplant team is at the University of Washington Medical Center and locals out there are sending out memos encouraging people to attend protests and politicians are saying some things like protesting for BLM is more important than the stay home order. I tried to talk my girlfriend into telling her doctors she's been following the lead of UW and seattle area politicians, so has been going to protests, but she doesn't think trolling is nice (but somehow loves me).
Just think, if that easy to fraud the state out of 650 million dollars, imagine how easy voter fraud is.

• 1Like