Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
Sweet, I'm white and have great credit. #immune

832d23477c27f2004199a6287965f61e.gif

God Damn, just another great thing about being white. Does it ever stop? Pretty sure it doesn't.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone released data yet on how many more people have died this year than in previous years?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone released data yet on how many more people have died this year than in previous years?
We're at >200k excess deaths above statistical norms.

And considering how many people are not doing their daily office commute, that's a lot of excess deaths.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
We're at >200k excess deaths above statistical norms.

And considering how many people are not doing their daily office commute, that's a lot of excess deaths.

Thanks. Where do you find those numbers?

I saw some numbers from England, but I could only find them week by week. England is running lower than the 5 year average for the past 6 weeks, but they had been way high earlier in the year. The statistician I heard about them from thinks it's going to level out and 2020 will be about the same as previous years.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

I mean ... those charts show that the flu dropped off a cliff in late march when the chinese bat aids panic was spun up. The season even ended a month earlier than it looks like it normally ends. It was just that it was bad enough up to that point that the numbers were still higher than last year.

In fairness, I'm only seeing hospitalization numbers there. I'm the only person I ever knew who was hopsitalized with the flu and it was because I had malaria at the same time. Everyone else I've known just got some thera flu and went home. Unless I'm misreading that, those cases aren't counted here. I'm sure a lot more people were being treated at home once the panic started. Plus, how many people had chinese bat aids before the panic and it was treated like flu? I think my wife had it in January. The tests all came back negative but the Dr said it's some kind of flu, here's some thera flu.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think my wife had it in January.

Highly doubtful unless you live in a major city with heavy international travel to get it that early. Big reason why this started so heavily in the NYC area.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Highly doubtful unless you live in a major city with heavy international travel to get it that early. Big reason why this started so heavily in the NYC area.

Yes and she works for a big time international company too. On a huge campus with a 70s style open office design.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Saw a stat yesterday that for every 3 deaths directly attributed to covid another 2 died due to the lock-down, from things such as poorer access to medical care.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Saw a stat yesterday that for every 3 deaths directly attributed to covid another 2 died due to the lock-down, from things such as poorer access to medical care.

The figures include 6,000 people who did not attend A&E at the height of lockdown because of fears they might catch the virus and the feeling they should remain at home because of the "Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" message. Likewise, 10,000 people are thought to have died in care homes due to early discharge from hospital and not being able to access critical care.

The report also found that 2,500 lives may have been saved during lockdown because of healthier lifestyles, fewer infectious diseases in children, falls in air pollution and a decrease in road deaths....

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man

It's certainly a complicated situation. It's easy to take the 2 non-corona deaths and say 'well, that 3+2 deaths is almost double the direct death rate, we should have just avoided lock-down and took double corona deaths' but then if we hadn't locked down the deaths from corona could have been 10. It's likely to be years until we know whats happened. It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation for sure.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's certainly a complicated situation. It's easy to take the 2 non-corona deaths and say 'well, that 3+2 deaths is almost double the direct death rate, we should have just avoided lock-down and took double corona deaths' but then if we hadn't locked down the deaths from corona could have been 10. It's likely to be years until we know whats happened. It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation for sure.
I mean reality just says that isn't true. The elephant in the room that just keeps getting ignored by the media is that the virus is gonna virus. People are going to get infected. It's just a sliding window of when. What's happened over the summer would have just happened sooner and we'd be that much further through it. The reality is ongoing lockdowns at this point are just going to drag out the process, they aren't really helping anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Plus, how many people had chinese bat aids before the panic and it was treated like flu? I think my wife had it in January. The tests all came back negative but the Dr said it's some kind of flu, here's some thera flu.

She didn't have covid. There area large number of viruses that can cause flu like illnesses. We test for the flu because there is a "treatment" for the flu if you catch it within 48 hours of symptom onset. It could have been a false negative (the typical cheap rapid flu swab misses 1/3 of cases or so), any of the four common strands of parainfluenza virus, any of the 4 common corona viruses, adenovirus, rhinovirus, human metapneumovirus, or even RSV. Even bullshit little viruses can make you feel whipped. I just got over rhinovirus, which is a common cold virus, and I had the cough, chills, body aches, couldn't do any physical activity for a few days, etc.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I mean reality just says that isn't true. The elephant in the room that just keeps getting ignored by the media is that the virus is gonna virus. People are going to get infected. It's just a sliding window of when. What's happened over the summer would have just happened sooner and we'd be that much further through it. The reality is ongoing lockdowns at this point are just going to drag out the process, they aren't really helping anything.
Hope of a vaccine and deaths due to inadequate healthcare since hospitals are over capacity are the counterpoints to this.

That said, I don't like that there isn't major discussion for selective lockdowns. Quarantine people at risk while letting healthy individuals work. Tune the lockdown based on hospital capacity and lag time from infection.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hope of a vaccine and deaths due to inadequate healthcare since hospitals are over capacity are the counterpoints to this.

That said, I don't like that there isn't major discussion for selective lockdowns. Quarantine people at risk while letting healthy individuals work. Tune the lockdown based on hospital capacity and lag time from infection.

Isn't this somewhat already happening with nursing homes though? Most nursing homes are already in a lockdown state where residents don't leave and staff gets checked every time they walk in the door yet every other day I see on the news (at least around here) that this home or that home has gotten some infections because staff somehow are still bringing it in. Nursing home deaths are still keeping around 50% no?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Isn't this somewhat already happening with nursing homes though? Most nursing homes are already in a lockdown state where residents don't leave and staff gets checked every time they walk in the door yet every other day I see on the news (at least around here) that this home or that home has gotten some infections because staff somehow are still bringing it in. Nursing home deaths are still keeping around 50% no?

In Texas at least it's still skewing REALLY hard at the older demographic. But this seems to be independent of nursing home residency or not.
1597334188662.png

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

While yes hospitals getting overrun would be a problem, that didn't actually happen. Instead we just financially destroyed hospitals along with the rest of the country.

I would have supported narrow targetted lockdowns, mainly the greater NYC area when it happened there (MAYBE, I don't think it was as bad as it seems, they just killed everyone with bad policies). Outside of there I don't think there has really been anything in need of consideration anywhere. I live in south Florida, my hospital guy here who works for a hospital group that is 4 hospitals. Our county is something like a million people. He said they technically lost capacity because requirements for covid lose you some bed space, and while they got close to the capacity they set aside for covid they still didn't actually get close overall. And that's while we are basically completely open and "OMG FLORIDA SO BAD"

My main concern is that maybe someday there is a real pandemic, but we've got a major boy who cried wolf here and people won't listen in the future.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users