Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Troll harder.
Bitch you are asking for a force choke:

ForceChoke.jpg

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I must not have explained myself well, what I mean is that is stronger than they think not because of how they measure it but because its being diluted in a sense.
My understanding is this is explained by string theory. Too lazy to read the link and that might be what you're referring to, but it being "diluted" is it affecting the 11 (depending on which version you go by) dimensions.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also during the show did anyone find it odd that they always championed these scientists who threw shit against the wall without any proof who were eventually found correct and tried to disparage the nay-sayers then would constantly harp on how science is all about believing only what you can prove?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Also during the show did anyone find it odd that they always championed these scientists who threw shit against the wall without any proof who were eventually found correct and tried to disparage the nay-sayers then would constantly harp on how science is all about believing only what you can prove?
No.

Who "threw shit against the wall without any proof"? I saw a lot of the opposite, where ideas were rejected without any proof.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
You know, Gravity, Electromagnetism, and Evolution were just ideas pulled out of asses that just happened to be right. We also guessed at the earth's age and just happened to be really really close.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No.

Who "threw shit against the wall without any proof"? I saw a lot of the opposite, where ideas were rejected without any proof.
I'd have to re-watch and possibly learn the backstory on many of these people but it was quite common he'd say "X person was rejected by the scientific community for his idea. But 100 years later we found out he was right." which lead me to believe someone just said something, believed it but couldn't prove it. Then later greater technology could prove it correct.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There's a difference between overwhelming proof needed to replace established scientific convention, and "no proof".

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
There's also a difference between proving something scientifically, and then actually observing it. This happens quite often. I believe this was mentioned quite often in the show. For instance, we've never actually observed an electron. Many planets were first identified through the tug of gravity before they were visually observed, etc.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Dark Matter isn't even matter, and Dark Energy isn't energy. They're both stuff we don't even have a way to classify, Dark Matter and Dark Energy are just placeholder terms.
We know how they behave to some extent, that is why we call them accordingly to terms that behave like that.

Dark matter is called matter because affects gravity, energy doesn't affect gravity. Dark energy is called energy because it interacts with matter in a way that only energy does.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You know, Gravity, Electromagnetism, and Evolution were just ideas pulled out of asses that just happened to be right. We also guessed at the earth's age and just happened to be really really close.
You are ignoring all the test that those men performed in order to come up with the theories. Some test were as simple as performing experiments, some were more complicated, such as calculating the path of a start as it travels hidden behind the sun. Seriously how the fuck did Gauss determined the orbit of ceres??

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
You are ignoring all the test that those men performed in order to come up with the theories. Some test were as simple as performing experiments, some were more complicated, such as calculating the path of a start as it travels hidden behind the sun. Seriously how the fuck did Gauss determined the orbit of ceres??
I was being sarcastic, dude.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Massless particles are their own separate can of worms. Energy certainly has mass and accounts, ultimately, for the vast majority of mass in everything around us.