Country Music Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Come on man, lol. Country Music has its roots in The Blues. And if you have to question the King's ability to play Guitar, you haven't been around long enough.

The guy who wrote that song is currently my favorite singer/songwriter. The best lyricist I've come across in a long time and a pretty damn good guitar player too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Come on man, lol. Country Music has its roots in The Blues. And if you have to question the King's ability to play Guitar, you haven't been around long enough.

You realize there was no video with that, right? Was it supposed to prove George Strait can play guitar? Didn't have his name in the title and I didn't hear his voice in the few parts I listened to.

Also, since when is strait the king? That's elvis.

While Strait isn't one of these new crop of faux country, I do believe he's what they based the formula on. Dress like you're going out to a bar. Have a guitar, no need to play it. Deep twang. Use words that sound redneck.

There was a comedian who did a joke country song where he made fun of the formula. I thought it was a great song, joke or not.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Come on man, lol. Country Music has its roots in The Blues.

If this was a response to the whiny thing, I think you misunderstand. Not talking about the subject matter but the tone. Blues is not whiny like that. They complain without whining. That Jackson song isn't anywhere close to sounding like a blues song. The way the notes all bleed into each other and the high pitched music nearly drowns it out hurts my ears. It's more like the power ballads hair bands used to sing, but for country.

• 1Picard

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
any modern era bitches that don't use autotune, cuz these guys are incomprehensible w/o subtitles

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You realize there was no video with that, right? Was it supposed to prove George Strait can play guitar? Didn't have his name in the title and I didn't hear his voice in the few parts I listened to.

Also, since when is strait the king? That's elvis.

While Strait isn't one of these new crop of faux country, I do believe he's what they based the formula on. Dress like you're going out to a bar. Have a guitar, no need to play it. Deep twang. Use words that sound redneck.

There was a comedian who did a joke country song where he made fun of the formula. I thought it was a great song, joke or not.
He is often called "King George" because he's had 60 number 1 hits since 1981. He is in no way responsible for pop country. Every one of his songs has a fiddle and a steel guitar in it. He's the opposite of pop country. I also think you might have him confused with Randy Travis who was the one that was found naked in his car. George can play guitar and piano but like a lot of singers, his guitar is probably not in the mix or barely there in concerts simply because someone like him can have one of the best guitar players on the planet in his band so the lead singer's guitar isn't that important and the other guy sounds better and is less likely to make a mistake anyway. They're really playing, but you're probably not hearing it at a concert. I know Garth Brooks does this too and probably a lot of musicians. There are exceptions like Brad Paisley who is the singer and also the lead guitarist in his band.

If anyone is responsible for pop country it's probably Garth Brooks. I like Garth but his extreme popularity led to a lot of people who weren't country fans listening which opened the door for all the pop bands that came after him.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Speaking of Brad Paisley, most of his songs are really stupid, but man can that guy pick a guitar.

EDIT - Oh and that Bo Burnam country music song was fantastic.

I think about the line "Fuck your ears I'm panderin" every once in a while.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
He is often called "King George" because he's had 60 number 1 hits since 1981. He is in no way responsible for pop country. Every one of his songs has a fiddle and a steel guitar in it. He's the opposite of pop country. I also think you might have him confused with Randy Travis who was the one that was found naked in his car. George can play guitar and piano but like a lot of singers, his guitar is probably not in the mix or barely there in concerts simply because someone like him can have one of the best guitar players on the planet in his band so the lead singer's guitar isn't that important and the other guy sounds better and is less likely to make a mistake anyway. They're really playing, but you're probably not hearing it at a concert. I know Garth Brooks does this too and probably a lot of musicians. There are exceptions like Brad Paisley who is the singer and also the lead guitarist in his band.

If anyone is responsible for pop country it's probably Garth Brooks. I like Garth but his extreme popularity led to a lot of people who weren't country fans listening which opened the door for all the pop bands that came after him.

You're probably right that it was Travis naked in his car. I didn't search for a story.

Good points on it being Garth Brooks' fault that we have pop country, but I still maintain strait is what they're trying to copy. Success brings copycats. He was way more successful than brooks.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
He's actually from MS originally. Multiple inductions into rodeo hall of fames for bronc riding and such. PRCA champion one year, music was something else he did.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thinking about this today earlier, my rant on country music now. The husband of my niece is a semi professional songwriter. His first wife was the daughter of a songwriter for Hank Williams Jr. He's sold one or two songs. Anyway.

Several years ago on the Nashville network or something they had a contest for up and coming singers and songwriters. I think Miranda Lambert won it. They had them sing songs that weren't theirs. One guy sang a country boy can survive. "Can run a trout line". It's trot line. Husband of my niece has never ever lived in a non urban area. He's mormon and lived in Salt Lake city until recently. He's had me listen to a few of his songs. He tries to write drinking songs and shit. A LOT of songwriters now apparently have never experienced anything in their life other than listening to someone elses songs.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Personal favorite, heading down to Dallas, Texas for NYE.

• 1Solidarity