Cowboy Bebop

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Yeah I know, shit channel but got recommended.
They changed for the sake of changing, to be different. Julia being bad is the ultimate FUCK YOU to the audience, the only thing Spike cared about and lived for is a total bitch lol
If you like this live action, you have mental problems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jet is perfectly cast and the actor is knocking it out of the park, even with the stupid backstory changes. He has the look down, the voice is well done without venturing into parody of Beau Billingslea, and he keeps the show moving the entire time he is on the screen. Fuck you rang rangs, the american voice cast is why this Anime is the best ever and this guy is taking the best parts of that and running with it.

Spike, Cho is ok but he has no range and Spike is a character that demands it. Spike should also be basically invincible to derps in a fight, but he is getting rag dolled by the hall trash in this show. The only thing they got really right about him is the look.

Faye actress, seriously wtf. They casted a low rent less charismatic bargain basement version of Olivia Munn and then ugged her up even more. And they altered the character. A show already on thin ice grinds to a fucking halt every single time this chud is on the screen. This would be the worst casting in any show ever.......

....except holy fuck is that Vicious casting terrible. I mean fucking god awful and they turned him into a complete bitch in the Netflix show. AND they introduced him WAY to early. What made the character great in the anime is that he was hardly there, but the whole fucking world shook when he was. This show he is overused and a complete weasel. I am actually impressed that I can't tell how good or bad the Julia actress is because this dude is always around shitting up the place during her screentime.

I have no comment on the mutant they have playing Ed, but I will say they dropped hints from the movie in that scene. This of course means they are not merely content fucking over the show, but are going to rape our memories of the movie as well. This could have been a decent show in the right hands, but as it is this is typical rape an IP by committee with zero effort woke and cash out combo of execution. And the woke is so minimal that you cannot even blame it on that. Set designer is doing their job, Jet Actor is doing their job, everyone else is phoning it in or worse.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just about finished with the first season. And I really gave it a chance since I know nothing of the source material. Its really just not good. I havent once wanted to watch another episode. Vicious is the most boring villain Ive seen in awhile. Spike is a lame hero. Jet seems to be the only decent character in the show. A lot of things that work well in a anime/comic medium do not translate well into live action.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Just about finished with the first season. And I really gave it a chance since I know nothing of the source material. Its really just not good. I havent once wanted to watch another episode. Vicious is the most boring villain Ive seen in awhile. Spike is a lame hero. Jet seems to be the only decent character in the show. A lot of things that work well in a anime/comic medium do not translate well into live action.

If you know nothing of the source material, assuming that means you haven't watched the Anime. Even if you aren't a typical anime guy I would recommend it and say it's worth a watch. It will help wash the shit taste out of your mouth and the character depth will be much more enjoyable. Spike and Vicious have way more depth and are actually enjoyable to see on screen.

Also the music of Cowboy Bepob is solid enough it can be enjoyed on its own.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You should absolutely watch the original. It’s the sort of anime anyone can enjoy; not really full of weeb shit. Also it will let you fully appreciate the travesty that is the Netflix adaptation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
We are rewatching the anime version.

I thought the live action started off interesting but it ended so so bad. We barely watched the last 2 episodes it was that bad.

• 2Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think one of the best things I have heard regarding criticism is that despite the effort of going woke, it some how is far less woke than anything Watanabe. Cowboy Bebop, and Watanabe's work as a whole is pretty fucking "woke" by definition. Tons of political commentary and multi-racial/worldly people.

The only thing that could have saved this show is if they scrapped the effort to do a linear story, because that's the anime and its good.. and just stuck with a "fun" bounty of the week episodic banter series with little inklings of inbetweens regarding anime episode references such as the characters we've met in the anime to kinda give the fans a pseudo timeline and easteregg-y fun.. because I feel they at least nailed those? I haven't watch the series, only the plethora of youtube reviews that have summed the show on all the "good parts" and dragging all the bad parts.

Atleast we get more yoko kanno /shrug

Just a reference for those that haven't seen the anime, brain scratch =/= aum shinrikyo cult that is responsible for the sarin gas attack happened in 1995, anime was released in 1998. From my understanding the brain scratch episode in the netflix bullshit was some eternal sunshine for the spotless mind rip.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man they dropped the ball on this , oh well lesson learn, don't let Nutflix adapt any anime property, studios like Sunrise better take note.

ohkcrlho

Following up on the director’s seeming lack of confidence in Netflix’s adaptation, Takahashi next inquired, “As the original creator, how would you feel if what you saw in the original scenario pitch and what was broadcasted differed?”

Watanabe replied, “That would leave a sour taste in my mouth.”

Enough said.

ohkcrlho

I haven't seen this bullshit and never will but the more reviews I see, the more I really want to know how any fan of the original show can like this.

• 1Salty

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I haven't seen this bullshit and never will but the more reviews I see, the more I really want to know how any fan of the original show can like this.
easy

Attachments

• 1579030925627.jpg
    1579030925627.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'm 5 episodes in. HUGE Bebop fan from when it first was aired. I was all prepped to be a hater. Yet I'm not. It's not by any means a pure art or a thing in itself. But it is probably the best live action anime attempt I've ever seen. They nailed Jet.

I haven't made it up to Ed ye (and I was a little bummed that they didn't do the Ein ep where the dog was worth a fortune). Still, it'q quirky and an honest, kind of loving homage. I'm in.

Couple things I am not loving:
1) Faye is growing on my but couldn't they at least have had her outfit a bit sexier (at least show midriff!)
2) The characters are not as "down and out" as they should be (give them a Rockford Files or Kolchak the Night Stalker "can't win" vibe)
3) Spike is not as cool as he should be-- he should ooze cool.
4) It's almost too violent. Moreso than the anime (but hyperviolence can work in anime but not in live action: like tentacle hentai...)

It's fun. Reminds me of Star Trek Continues but with a better budget.
Lastly, I think it's a little ironic how Tarantino borrowed from Bebop and now when Bebop goes live action, it looks like it is imitating Tarantino. Oh, the ironies of art imitating art which borrowed from art.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Yeah the part where they turned Vicious into a giant pussy was pretty cool.

• 2Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I'm 5 episodes in. HUGE Bebop fan from when it first was aired. I was all prepped to be a hater. Yet I'm not. It's not by any means a pure art or a thing in itself. But it is probably the best live action anime attempt I've ever seen. They nailed Jet.

I haven't made it up to Ed ye (and I was a little bummed that they didn't do the Ein ep where the dog was worth a fortune). Still, it'q quirky and an honest, kind of loving homage. I'm in.

1) Faye is growing on my but couldn't they at least have had her outfit a bit sexier (at least show midriff!)
2) The characters are not as "down and out" as they should be (give them a Rockford Files or Kolchak the Night Stalker "can't win" vibe)
4) It's almost too violent. Moreso than the anime (but hyperviolence can work in anime but not in live action: like tentacle hentai...)

Lastly, I think it's a little ironic how Tarantino borrowed from Bebop and now when Bebop goes live action, it looks like it is imitating Tarantino. Oh, the ironies of art imitating art which borrowed from art.

How high were you when you watched these?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist

Post here again after episode ten.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm about 7 episodes in so far. I'm enjoying it, its like a not as charming version of firefly. So much so that I thought maybe firefly was directly inspired by the original cowboy bebop. Googled if that was the case, apparently Whedon has never commented on it but there are heaps of mad firefly fans aggressively saying it's not inspired by bebop so that probably means that it was.

Anyway a vaguely comical over the top cowboys in space show is definitely my cup of tea. Jet Black is great, the only straight character in a galaxy of weirdos, he's holding the whole show together.

Have not seen the anime / know almost nothing about it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This was basically a 5/10 for me. Just average at best. something you watch because there is noting else on. Like somene already mentioned I was not looking forward to the next episode and about a week after I watched it its already forgotten.