Crazy Neighbor Need Advice

stehle_foh

shitlord
Well round 1 is complete.

Me- 1, Crazy Neighbor- 0

The LL and an impartial observer came down feel the vibrations. We went through every possible cause and combination. From setting the heat on high, turning a movie on (5:1 dolby) with the computer going.

No one could hear anything upstairs. No one could feel anything upstairs.

The LL said there was no problem and that we can just keep doing what we were doing downstairs. He also mentioned that this situation wasn"t over--but it sounded like it was more of a LL / crazy neighbor discussion that really didn"t involve us at all.

Besides being completely exonerated, we had the added benefit from the LL after he left. He said the crazy neighbor called up and said it sounded like we were moving stuff (insinuating that we "rigged" the test). This is going to be an interesting week...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Lawsuits don"t need to be sensible to file them. Hell, sometimes they don"t even need to be sensible to win either. How much did that person win from McD"s when she spilled her coffee in her own lap?
Christ, as DickTrickle already said, do a google on this and actually educate yourself on the facts of the case. Despite what everyone thinks, that lawsuit was well justified due to McDonald"s being a bunch of assholes who didn"t take steps to fix an acknowledged and serious problem with their product and packaging. For example, were you aware the woman got 3rd degree burns to a significant portion of her body (10-20% I believe), all around her groin region, required skin grafts, and simply wanted McDonald"s to pick up the medical bill before she sued? They refused of course.

Jubee_foh

shitlord
Eomer said:
Christ, as DickTrickle already said, do a google on this and actually educate yourself on the facts of the case. Despite what everyone thinks, that lawsuit was well justified due to McDonald"s being a bunch of assholes who didn"t take steps to fix an acknowledged and serious problem with their product and packaging. For example, were you aware the woman got 3rd degree burns to a significant portion of her body (10-20% I believe), all around her groin region, required skin grafts, and simply wanted McDonald"s to pick up the medical bill before she sued? They refused of course.
Unless Ronald McDonald personally walked up to her and slapped the coffee out of her hand, no, they shouldn"t have payed for it. I do alot of soldering work at my job but I don"t contact my lawyer every time I burn myself. Because *I* fucked up, not the person that gave it to me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Again, do some fucking googling before you pronounce who was or was not responsible for what in that case. Despite popular opinion, it"s a good example of the legal systemworking exactly the way it was intended. No need to derail this thread with this particular topic.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Jubee said:
Unless Ronald McDonald personally walked up to her and slapped the coffee out of her hand, no, they shouldn"t have payed for it. I do alot of soldering work at my job but I don"t contact my lawyer every time I burn myself. Because *I* fucked up, not the person that gave it to me.
I had always heard that the story was that the coffee machine was making the coffee way hotter than it should be, hot enough to damage flesh instantly. As in, McDonalds machine was broken and they gave out a coffee that was far beyond acceptable levels of heat, to the point of being very dangerous. Yeah, the woman spilled it herself, but if you order coffee and I hand you burning hot magma, well, I might just be at some fault.

If that indeed was the case, then yeah, they should have paid. I think the media forgets to mention that part since it weakens the sensationalism.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sigh, read the damn link!

Summary: it wasn"t a broken machine, it was official company policy to keep coffee at 180-190F, a temperature that will cause full depth (third degree) burns to flesh in 2-7 seconds. Not only was it company policy, McDonald"s acknowledged they"d had hundreds of past incidents that they were aware of of people being burned. So not only was the company serving an unsafe product, it was aware of it, took no steps to reduce the hazard, and took no steps to warn customers of the risk of this product. Would you conceivably think it possible that your coffee, if spilled in your lap, would cause third degree burns to your crotch almost instantaneously?

For the fourth time, read the link above and see for yourself why the "McDonald"s coffee" incident isn"t nearly as stupid of an award as everyone seems to think it is. It"s even more humorous because the actual settlement was never publicly disclosed, despite everyone being up in arms about the "millions" handed out to the woman. Oh that poor multi-billion dollar corporation!

Go Outside_foh

shitlord
Jubee said:
Actually you can"t contact your lawyer because chances are you waived your right to sue in most situations in exchange for various types of insurance offered at the company you work for (health, life, disability).

Anyway, back onto topic the fact that the woman is a recluse, loves stirring up trouble, and actually believes you rigged your test proves she"s crazy. Sounds like you live below a schizo. I"d have called some guys in white outfits with butterfly nets to catch a long time ago. I admire your patience.

Last time I checked, coffee is hot. Pretty sure McDonald"s has always labeled coffee on their menu as "Hot Coffee"

If I make coffee using whatever coffee maker you can buy from Target, Wal-Mart, etc, I"m willing to bet it comes out of the pot at 180-190 degrees no problem. If I spill that shit on me and burn myself, who is to blame?

Regardless of what McDonald"s past history is with their product, at some point we all have to accept a fair amount of responsibility for our actions. Lest us not forget this dumb bitch REMOVED the fucking lid that comes with the coffee, then drove off in her car.

Valaden_foh

shitlord
Reading comprehension is apparently not your forte. I wager you havent even bothered to read the article stating the facts about the case? Mmmkay here are the facts.

Kugbok_Fennin said:
If I make coffee using whatever coffee maker you can buy from Target, Wal-Mart, etc,I"m willing to bet it comes out of the pot at 180-190 degrees no problem.If I spill that shit on me and burn myself, who is to blame?
Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Kugbok_Fennin said:
Regardless of what McDonald"s past history is with their product, at some point we all have to accept a fair amount of responsibility for our actions.Lest us not forget this dumb bitch REMOVED the fucking lid that comes with the coffee, then drove off in her car.
Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.

Kugbok_Fennin said:
"Imagination is sometimes more important than knowledge..."
Come again, or L2Read.

Malakriss_foh

shitlord
1) The lady was clumsy and did something stupid, spilling coffee on herself, ruining her sweatpants and making a mess. McDonald"s has no liability for this.

2) The coffee from McDonald"s was served to her at an extreme temperature that was unsafe for consumption and presented a health risk of third-degree burning. Mcdonald"s DOES has liability for this.

If the coffee was at the typical barely dangerous temperature, the lady would have been swearing up a storm and pissed after the spill, but she wouldn"t have gotten third-degree burns or required hospitalization. Either she"d go back and actually order another cup of coffee, or say screw it, drive off and have a rotten day, but that would be the end of it.

Regardless, the McDonald"s case actually had evidence of a health risk to customers, while the OP"s crazy neighbor is either a nutcase or seeking frivilous litigation.

Devlin_foh

shitlord
Your neighbor needs to come and live at my flat, I broke my hand a week ago because the asshole downstairs finally pushed me over the edge playing his tunes at 2am with the bass on full blast, I freaked out, flew down the stairs screaming obscenities and threatening murder and foolishly smacked my fist full force into his solid wood door, music did go off immediately and I actually haven"t seen him since, I think he went to live with his parents.

Few days later went to the hospital and they confirmed I"d broken my hand, better than being in prison though I suppose.

PC"s make no noise whatsoever, vibrations my ass.

Jahooty_foh

shitlord
I know all about the crazy neighbor syndrome....

Back in 93 I was attending U-Mich Flint, and working pretty much full time. Granted the walls between our places wasnt very well insulated, but she would basically pound on a wall screaming for listening to TV past 8 PM. I am not talking cranked either...just loud enough to hear. Was embarresed when working on a grp project with another student at my place, and she started in because we were talking.

Few months later her kid had come home while I was talking to my neighbors up front....used to smoke a little weed together once in a while since really didnt have much time for a "true" social life. So the kid easdropped on our conversation, and went back telling his mother we were basically dissing them(which we werent even discussing them) Woman comes out basically in a see thru top with no bra....nipples blarring about as loud as she was. Luckily a cop lived in the house next door. Heard her screaming, and basically shouted at her till she went back inside.

Short time later I started getting on a lucky streak of a few women. I noticed the complaints from her basically stopped once she started having live sex to listen in on.

Cliff notes....yeah the woman wants him to lay some pipe :p