Critical Roll Animated Special

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
As far as a the CR scripting, it was a few episodes ago maybe S2/30-32. I can't remember exactly, but Liam seemed to randomly ask Matt about some obscure lore and Matt conveniently had several paragraphs waiting to be read. Matt wasn't generating some lore on the fly or reciting it from his general interpretation of his world, you could see him reading it. It wasn't general knowledge, it was specific. Coincidence that Matt just happened to have what Liam was looking for and didn't miss a beat when Liam asked about it? Maaaaybe, but I'd wager the house against it. There have been a few other telltale signs, but nothing incredibly egregious. Generally speaking, the players are aware of specific plot beats they're supposed to hit to keep the story moving and interesting. There's just too much money involved now for them to risk losing viewers for there not to be. It's a fantasy soap opera now, and that's ok.

matt knows liam is searching for books and specific knowledge, so he always has some handy. And I think what youre referring to is actually built off of something about 20 episodes prior to that. Liam went to the library of Marisha's order and had gotten a shit load of seemingly mundane lore information about stuff he didnt care about which matt read some of and then was like, I'll email you the rest cause not only would no one at the table care, neither would the audience. (The players don't change how they act for the audience, but Matt is good at keeping things moving, knowing that one exists.). So I think what matt read was stuff Caleb would know, since he has the "Perfect Memory for 30 days" feat and since Caleb the Wizard is smarter than Liam the player, Matt had the pertinent stuff ready.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
matt knows liam is searching for books and specific knowledge, so he always has some handy. And I think what youre referring to is actually built off of something about 20 episodes prior to that. Liam went to the library of Marisha's order and had gotten a shit load of seemingly mundane lore information about stuff he didnt care about which matt read some of and then was like, I'll email you the rest cause not only would no one at the table care, neither would the audience. (The players don't change how they act for the audience, but Matt is good at keeping things moving, knowing that one exists.). So I think what matt read was stuff Caleb would know, since he has the "Perfect Memory for 30 days" feat and since Caleb the Wizard is smarter than Liam the player, Matt had the pertinent stuff ready.

If the scene I am referring to is a tie-in for something that happened in a previous episode (I've only seen episodes 2/23-34) then I'll eat crow. In fact, what you describe makes perfect sense for explaining what I saw.

However, I doubt I'll ever be convinced that during production meetings the group doesn't set loose boundaries. I.e. "Let's keep the next session or two on the coast." Or "Let's prioritize xx person's story this week." It allows Matt to limit getting completely blindsided. Obviously, he's forced to fly by the seat of his pants on a regular basis, but that's a lot easier when the setting shares a theme.

I'm not suggesting at all that the campaign is on rails, but I don't believe for a moment that the group shows up every week completely in the dark.

Sevens

Log Wizard
If the scene I am referring to is a tie-in for something that happened in a previous episode (I've only seen episodes 2/23-34) then I'll eat crow. In fact, what you describe makes perfect sense for explaining what I saw.

However, I doubt I'll ever be convinced that during production meetings the group doesn't set loose boundaries. I.e. "Let's keep the next session or two on the coast." Or "Let's prioritize xx person's story this week." It allows Matt to limit getting completely blindsided. Obviously, he's forced to fly by the seat of his pants on a regular basis, but that's a lot easier when the setting shares a theme.

I'm not suggesting at all that the campaign is on rails, but I don't believe for a moment that the group shows up every week completely in the dark.

They are in the dark, Matt is not...He has all of their back stories and he knows the world and the forces at play at this given time...In my home game I have no idea where we are headed, I trust that the DM does but can also react to the decisions of the group to veer the story in any way we choose, at trust me my home DM isnt half the DM Mercer is. I think the thing you seem to be forget is these are all trained actor, they have many hours of improv class and know how to work with others to create a story on the fly, what they do is nothing special. Hell you can go see improv troops perform across the county and they arent scripted by (mostly) hilarious

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't watched much, but enjoy it when I do. As for scripting, I recall somewhat recently the group doing something he maybe didn't anticipate and he literally said 'ok let me set all these pages of lore to the side' and actually seemed a little frustrated.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I haven't watched much, but enjoy it when I do. As for scripting, I recall somewhat recently the group doing something he maybe didn't anticipate and he literally said 'ok let me set all these pages of lore to the side' and actually seemed a little frustrated.
My favorite example of this is when they were on a ship, he had a big naval battle planned but one of the players used control water, beached the ships closing in on them and they sailed happily on by

Sevens

Log Wizard
The Briarwoods is my favorite arc from Campaign 1
#NoMercyPercy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm definitely excited about this, to get to see some of the moments from the briarwoods arc (ie scanbo) animated will be amazing. Although i feel like im in the minority in that i liked the first arc up to K'varn and the slayer quests slightly better but I can understand why they'd choose the briarwood arc. Its amazing and didn't have tiberius in it.

It'll be interesting to see how they release this. I have a feeling it'll be behind some sort of paywall and not just a youtube release given how I can't seem to find anything other then they're looking into a bunch of different options... I wonder if they're going to try and release on amazon or netflix lol

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
I'm definitely excited about this, to get to see some of the moments from the briarwoods arc (ie scanbo) animated will be amazing. Although i feel like im in the minority in that i liked the first arc up to K'varn and the slayer quests slightly better but I can understand why they'd choose the briarwood arc. Its amazing and didn't have tiberius in it.

It'll be interesting to see how they release this. I have a feeling it'll be behind some sort of paywall and not just a youtube release given how I can't seem to find anything other then they're looking into a bunch of different options... I wonder if they're going to try and release on amazon or netflix lol
They stated that they tried to shop the idea around for the special to several studios and streaming services but no one wanted to take a chance on it so thats why they did it themselves...I too am interested in how it will be distributed, would hate for it to be on a platform I dont have (Hulu, Amazon)...Maybe they will release it on their website, I mean that worked for Rooster teeth with the Red Vs Blue show, Right?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
they have deals with twitch and youtube, so that's how it will come out unless something drastic changes. they've already asked for people to pay for it, so it would be a low blow to put it behind a paywall. they HAVE said that backers will get access first, but that they are releasing it to everyone

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I really liked the first campaign of CR, i did lose a little bit f interest later on because it seemed they switched from focusing on playing the game to dramatization for their audience.
I tried to get into this new campaign but it didnt grab me like the first one. Maybe i should give it another chance.
I do like Matt Colville's The Chain allot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
I really liked the first campaign of CR, i did lose a little bit f interest later on because it seemed they switched from focusing on playing the game to dramatization for their audience.
I tried to get into this new campaign but it didnt grab me like the first one. Maybe i should give it another chance.
I do like Matt Colville's The Chain allot.
I will admit, with CR the rule of cool is the most important, and yes the RP is much more important than the mechanics...but thats not a bad thing imho

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I will admit, with CR the rule of cool is the most important, and yes the RP is much more important than the mechanics...but thats not a bad thing imho
Oh i dont mind the rule of cool and i also like the RPing but at some points it felt forced and overdramatized and was stalling gameplay.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The only RP stuff that really bothered me was Marisha being garbage. Honestly even though I enjoyed critical role over all many times I found myself hating Keylith, on the other hand the comic relief from Sam Reigel with both Scalan and Tayrion Darington was awesome for me. I know a couple of people said they disliked when they didn’t take the game seriously but that lightheartedness was a good contrast for me.

• 1Solidarity

Sevens

Log Wizard
The only RP stuff that really bothered me was Marisha being garbage. Honestly even though I enjoyed critical role over all many times I found myself hating Keylith, on the other hand the comic relief from Sam Reigel with both Scalan and Tayrion Darington was awesome for me. I know a couple of people said they disliked when they didn’t take the game seriously but that lightheartedness was a good contrast for me.
Yeah, Keylith was a bit hard to take at times...I like her new character beau a lot better, more of a "I dont give a fuck" type

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Keylith was a bit hard to take at times...I like her new character beau a lot better, more of a "I dont give a fuck" type
I guess i should try to get into their new stuff again. Maybe it gets better efter a few episodes.

Sevens

Log Wizard
24 Day to go and they sit at 7.9 million...don't know shit about kickstarter but I have heard there is usually a big rush at the end of the drive. Do you think this could hit 10mil?

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I’d say it’s pretty likely. The only thing that might stop it is their last stretch goal is 8.8 and if they don’t add anything there isn’t really a reason to fund it further? I’m holding off until we hear exactly how this is going to be released bc I can’t believe they’re just going to release it to YouTube