Crowfall

Vitality

HUSTLE
K

Industry earned our skepticism. I don't believe in miracle patches either. From the interview, it sounds like they have a decent grasp on the controls. I know they lurk here too so I'm sure they are reading. I wish they'd take some of the posters and let them help test those areas now. May as well get as much feedback as possible.
If there's anything we've learned in the past 10 years of this genre it's that developers are master smoke blowers.

Vitality

HUSTLE
In other Unity 5 related news:

Arkamedeez, on 04 Mar 2015 - 1:05 PM, said:
Still curious how Unity 5 will handle large-scale Crowfall battles with many players in an outdoor area. Any insight into that, please?

hsmith
Lead Client Programmer says:

All of our initial testing with Unity 5 while it was in beta and now with the public release has been extremely positive. The folks at UT have taken a lot of feedback and improved the core performance of Unity in several ways from previous versions:
While Unity's graphics system has recently gotten a huge facelift with Enlighten realtime GI, native PBR support, etc - what most people don't realize is that they also have an extremely efficient renderer. They have excellent tools and third party libraries integrated - like Umbra for occlusion culling, a slick dynamic batching system (once you know how to use it), and a very efficient lighting model.
Unity 5 has made a lot of low level improvements to component lookup and GameObject instantiation speeds, capable of an order of magnitude improvement over previous versions, built ontop of their already well constructed scene graph.
Unity's physics is also highly optimized, and several of us were incredibly impressed (dare I say shocked!) with the results of physics stress testing, and how well this performed especially with the new PhysX version upgrade.
There are still a lot of knobs that we, on the engineering team, can turn to alleviate stress in some areas or transfer work to different subsystems (for example, I've been toying with Unity 5's new command buffer system to help customize the render pipeline of our game since the needs of the Voxel Terrain are so unique).
There is no single limiter on concurrent players on screen, but a confluence of systems, architecture decisions, and collaboration with content creators to ensure the best possible play experience. Unity is just one tool in our belt for achieving this - it just so happens to be a really effective one!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think they're going out of their way to include female centaurs. It's the reason they were cut in the first place.

The main issue is that their character modeler has been having to do their FX as well. When they fix that, it just frees him up to do what he was hired to do - create character models.

I hope they have some more substantive media to release before the end of the Kickstarter. It's hard to spread the word around the internet with just updates about the engine, or a 20 second animation video.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Everyone should be happy with these stretch goals. 800k plus what they raised before isn't enough to make a mmo. These are just carrots to hype people up to donate more. Last thing we need is for them to start promising everything and bog the game down.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I'm gonna make a female centaur with huge teets you can milk. My huge centaur teets will provide all the warmth you could ask for, bring on winter boys!

Bruman

Golden Squire
In other Unity 5 related news:

Arkamedeez, on 04 Mar 2015 - 1:05 PM, said:
Still curious how Unity 5 will handle large-scale Crowfall battles with many players in an outdoor area. Any insight into that, please?

hsmith
Lead Client Programmer says:

All of our initial testing with Unity 5 while it was in beta and now with the public release has been extremely positive. The folks at UT have taken a lot of feedback and improved the core performance of Unity in several ways from previous versions:
While Unity's graphics system has recently gotten a huge facelift with Enlighten realtime GI, native PBR support, etc - what most people don't realize is that they also have an extremely efficient renderer. They have excellent tools and third party libraries integrated - like Umbra for occlusion culling, a slick dynamic batching system (once you know how to use it), and a very efficient lighting model.
Unity 5 has made a lot of low level improvements to component lookup and GameObject instantiation speeds, capable of an order of magnitude improvement over previous versions, built ontop of their already well constructed scene graph.
Unity's physics is also highly optimized, and several of us were incredibly impressed (dare I say shocked!) with the results of physics stress testing, and how well this performed especially with the new PhysX version upgrade.
There are still a lot of knobs that we, on the engineering team, can turn to alleviate stress in some areas or transfer work to different subsystems (for example, I've been toying with Unity 5's new command buffer system to help customize the render pipeline of our game since the needs of the Voxel Terrain are so unique).
There is no single limiter on concurrent players on screen, but a confluence of systems, architecture decisions, and collaboration with content creators to ensure the best possible play experience. Unity is just one tool in our belt for achieving this - it just so happens to be a really effective one!
I hope their culling is smarter than FF's was. Having the main boss everyone was attacking constantly stop rendering, instead of, ya know, the random 200 players around you, was really annoying.

Other than that, I'd say the bigger problem is handling network traffic with so many people in one area. But obviously that doesn't have much (if anything) to do with Unity.

Everyone should be happy with these stretch goals. 800k plus what they raised before isn't enough to make a mmo. These are just carrots to hype people up to donate more. Last thing we need is for them to start promising everything and bog the game down.
On that note - since they're only 5k from the first stretch, hopefully they unveil the one after that soon. Preferably a realm other than Dregs.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I doubt that you will see anything outside of the dregs this early unless the thing explodes. The core game is there, but the GvG and Faction is the extra rule sets they have to code in. On one hand it seems relatively easy to set up, I guess the hard part is balancing it. I guess the Dregs has the best of everything so they stuck with the simplist form.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Lets spitball then about what kind of stretch goals they might have. New race? New archetype? Flying mounts?

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm sure you can join the people on the official forums with that stuff.
mad.png

Shit, what else are we supposed to yammer about then? Argue more back and forth about how Dregs/FFA could completely fall apart since we have zero info on it?

Been watching the game Hand of Fate on twitch tv. It has a very smart way to allow the player to choose the types of encounters by choosing different event cards, which are shuffled so they are randomized. This would still be questing, which CF is really against. But I love the option for players to choose what kind of events they want to participate in.

I wish this could be put into CF in some way. Perhaps having some mini games within the campaigns? It could spice things up. Say, stealth is disabled in a part of the world. They could have multiple rules like this in different parts of the world, and over time they could see which rules become popular.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That really surprised me too. Only planning for Dregs for the KS money is a bummer.
Although I am not going to KS any game ever (or pay Early Access or Founder Packs or whatever. Cheat me once, shame on you, cheat me twice, shame on me), that simple fact means that I'm not even going to pick the game when it's released, and if they are a bit too tardy, ever, because it's a game that combine power persistence and growth and PvP. You're in early, or a scrub forever (or you do an EVE scenario, where progression after a year means very little except for a minuscule minority of players).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Although I am not going to KS any game ever (or pay Early Access or Founder Packs or whatever. Cheat me once, shame on you, cheat me twice, shame on me), that simple fact means that I'm not even going to pick the game when it's released, and if they are a bit too tardy, ever, because it's a game that combine power persistence and growth and PvP. You're in early, or a scrub forever (or you do an EVE scenario, where progression after a year means very little except for a minuscule minority of players).
Why would you think that you're in early or not at all? The intent of the game is to reset every month or so, such that everyone can be on an equal playing field every campaign.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Why would you think that you're in early or not at all? The intent of the game is to reset every month or so, such that everyone can be on an equal playing field every campaign.
1) Your character's skills progress with real time, except the handful of first %. Older chars = more skills.
2) Equal playing field applies only to Terminator rules. In every other campaigns, you're going to bring in gear and/or building mats you've stockpiled from previous campaigns. Campaigns last from one to three months per Artcraft, so having more of those behind you are going to provide significant advantages... which means you can't choose those campaigns to play for a while (basically, you need to level your EK Bank...)
3) Social structures get stratified quickly, and getting into the right cliques become harder after the initial rush. You can still do it, but it requires significantly more work

I don't doubt you can play it even after a couple years. The problem is that, the longer it has been launched before you get in, the less enjoyable it will be.

(if you think the early game is going to be enjoyable, remember that the Dregs campaigns have a 0% salvage ratio on loss. You lose, you bring ZERO back home)

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Isn't that the case for every single multi player game...ever?
Yes and no. Most PVP based games have a cap to the number of levels or points you can get. As a new player it might have sucked to start WAR 2 years in to it but after spending a couple months in game you were pretty close to up to speed and after 4 months you could be max as a new guy (much faster if you found friends).