Crowfall

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The crowfall is a pre-alpha community. It's full of whiny self entitled trolls who think they're awesome. The Slack channel they are in is retarded.

Also they have volunteer mods who delete posts.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Does EVE have respecs?
No, and the concept of a "respec" is completely alien to a skill based game like crowfall or eve.

Time = skill points in whatever skill(s) you've set to train. They opted to keep classes in lieu of a classless system like eve so they are already behind the curve, but it's understandable since limited budget for animations.

You pick class, not respec-able
You pick promotion(basically your advanced class specialty), think they said this is perm choice also, but it is the last time you can fudge with your advantage/disadvantages from character creation.
You pick (up to) 3 disciplines, they said you can always overwrite previous disciplines but you lose the previous. Disciplines are like runes/augments. Items you find that give you new class abilities.

So back to how skills interact with the class system they are going with.

You start up a character and based on race/class/advantage/disadvantages you chose, he has certain skill caps.
Lets say you pick knight, and you have a cap of 85 in "longsword" and you spend all your time training it to max. But then you get enough skills in other things to unlock promotion classes(whatever they decide, maybe its all primary class skills at 50% of max, ie 1 week of training), and you decide you want to promote to archer. This promo class adds to your skill max for archery, so instead of 50 max as a knight, you can now take it to 100.

The 85 points you have in longsword are always gonna be in longsword, you can't respec. Promoting to archer instead of, idk knight champion, added to your archery max instead of addingto shield and longsword. You will have "wasted" points ie wasted time in longsword vs a min-maxed archer, but you will be better than a min-maxed archer using a sword.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I am sure they will have respecs, but with the over time training you could very well gut the character to go flavor of the month.
With things that have fungible infinite amount of "xp" you can afford a refund mechanic that gives you back 90 or 80 or maybe less skill pts when you drop the skill. Something you can't do with discrete skill points.

But a respec assume a skill ceiling, i.e. a maximum total amount of skills or skill points, or a skill branches, i.e. if you skill in A, you can't skill in B. EVE doesn't have either, so it doesn't have respecs, because given infinite time, you can get all the skills (unless, of course, the devs move the goalpost by adding some skills all the time). But if your model requires you to make a permanent choice in skills that exclude one (because you now lack points, or have incompatible), then you either need a respec, or the re-rolling process must be fast. Because nothing causes more players to leave than being told their character is fucked beyond redemption (or a year of re-leveling. Notably if it's time-tied and can't be rushed).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I hope they don't have respec bullshit - just copy how EVE does it these days (skill queue and all) and call it a day.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Respec doesn't make that much sense for Crowfall when you can level 3 characters at a time if you subscribe.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
If we have anyone reading this thread who is Emerald or higher, could yall ask in the monthly Q&A about respecs? Then we would know.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There won't be respecs man. They've said it already. The specifically said there are some decisions you can't take back.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ahh okay then, doesn't bother me much because I am an altaholic so I will probably have some "Special" characters in alpha and beta to learn the system.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Somebody want to give me the cliff-notes version of this thread? Seems to be some cranky people in it.

The Crowfall community - General Discussion - Crowfall Community
I didn't read the whole thread because who cares but whenever the administration says this:

Tyrant_sl said:
Repeat:

P.S. It is against the current Rules of Conduct to talk about specific moderation issues. Those are private between us and the specific backer. We are here to talk about policy, not specific instances so try and stay out of trouble please!
You know it's a moderation shit show.

edit: Skimmed the whole thread. The above quote is a good summary of how dumb their community administration is.

Then again if I were in charge of their community I'd lock the forums and say, "We need to build a game and your opinions are shit. Fuck off for 6 months until the first alpha."

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm in.... Game looks very cool. Going to have to donate for its completion. no sub, no P2W and the devs seem to have a decent plan.

Who's in the aplha?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
yeah, I looked at it it looks like Alpha 2 for me as well.

somethings wrong with their website. keep getting errors, and before you jokers start, yeah the card is just fine.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I didn't read the whole thread because who cares but whenever the administration says this:

You know it's a moderation shit show.

edit: Skimmed the whole thread. The above quote is a good summary of how dumb their community administration is.

Then again if I were in charge of their community I'd lock the forums and say, "We need to build a game and your opinions are shit. Fuck off for 6 months until the first alpha."
Well better they get the kinks out of the community moderation now while its pre-alpha rather then when it really becomes a shitshow once stuff starts going live. (Free) training on how to properly run a forum!

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Alpha 1 for me. I'll take some screens and probably be mouthy and misinformed once I get in. I have faith that Draegan will correct my hopium filled rambling though. Thankfully I have no problem admitting when I am wrong or talking out my ass.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I only ever bought from the KS. Activating the bundles on their website was peculiar, but not too difficult.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I paid off my layaway today to get the alpha 1 access. It failed 3 times and I was contacted by my credit card company. Once I told them to go ahead with the charge it went right through. I think their billing company is new and probably looked upon with some fraud suspicion.