Crowfall

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The game will be have potential just because the lead dev says shit like this

rrr_img_88017.png

This ain't your mother's Ponytail dev.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Permadeath can be a lot of fun if the system is done correctly. It doesn't work where character progression involves many many hours of grinding stupid stuff or getting extremely rare items.

Minecraft has permadeath, and noone cares, but you can get back to decent gear easily (faster with friends) and exp levels have a completely different meaning there. Then of course there's a billion roguelikes with it.

I'd love to see an MMO that had permadeath that work. That'd mean the game wasn't full of stupid grinding.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I can agree with that. Anything can be fun as long as it's done in the appropriate context.

This one is not.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Didn't lineage have something like that where you got a 1 of a kind weapon off a dragon boss or some shit and if you died it dropped on the ground?

#seenitbefore

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Permadeath can be a lot of fun if the system is done correctly. It doesn't work where character progression involves many many hours of grinding stupid stuff or getting extremely rare items.

Minecraft has permadeath, and noone cares, but you can get back to decent gear easily (faster with friends) and exp levels have a completely different meaning there. Then of course there's a billion roguelikes with it.

I'd love to see an MMO that had permadeath that work. That'd mean the game wasn't full of stupid grinding.
If leveling is instant, or so easy a bot can do it in a few hours, and gear is so easy to acquire it is practically worthless, then permadeath means nothing. Which, just in case you didn't realise makes your "mmo that had permadeath that works -- and not full of grinding" a contradiction.

I use to see this kind of thought from client while I was a designer, they'd ask for shit that couldn't possibly work together and expect it to be awesome. You'd put something together that did satisfy the criteria but the client then didn't like what they saw and blamed the designer on not executing the brief correctly.

You should feel bad for talking about permadeath and in the same fucking paragraph remove all impetus of actually dying and losing all that work.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Well, as seen in the SS above, the permadeath weapon was supposed to be in Shadowbane, I don't think Crowfall will feature Permadeath

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Levelling and getting gear in shadowbane was fairly trivial compared to basically any other MMO so it would have been ok in that game IMO.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The EQ permadeath server was pretty fun until you had a bunch of level 29 mages just camping the entrance to newbie zones.

Bruman

Golden Squire
If leveling is instant, or so easy a bot can do it in a few hours, and gear is so easy to acquire it is practically worthless, then permadeath means nothing. Which, just in case you didn't realise makes your "mmo that had permadeath that works -- and not full of grinding" a contradiction.

I use to see this kind of thought from client while I was a designer, they'd ask for shit that couldn't possibly work together and expect it to be awesome. You'd put something together that did satisfy the criteria but the client then didn't like what they saw and blamed the designer on not executing the brief correctly.

You should feel bad for talking about permadeath and in the same fucking paragraph remove all impetus of actually dying and losing all that work.
Psst, it's possible to make a video game, in a fantasy setting, that isn't solely about making numbers go up as a direct correlation to time spent.

You should feel bad for calling a video game work :p.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Explain this magical game system that proposes that no numbers go up in correlation to time spent. Also, explain how this system is fun, and why losing it would also be fun. Fantasy, Sci-Fi or any other world system is open, it shouldn't be limited to a single field. Spend some time on it, don't just rush here with the first idea that pops into your head, actually work through the challenges that the system would pose and solve them.

If you actively remove all forms of gain, so that you mitigate loss, then loss becomes meaningless. For reference, see any FPS game ever made.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
MMO world populated by relatively fixed MOBA characters, gains to be made in terms of materials to support persistent territory would be my guess

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
There's plenty of good (great in fact) games that don't have any form of "number increasing" but they're all single player.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Character art kinda reminded me of Cooernicus which isn't really a bad thing. At least there's no crazy guy with a bloody sock leading the charge.