Crowfall

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Questions for the interview:

- How big are the campaign worlds? How many people can join a campaign? Is it more like a traditional MMO server in size, or a lot smaller (or is it defined by the campaign parameters)?

- If the worlds are smaller, how do you prevent big guilds from "rigging the game" (win swapping / just farming resources without doing pvp)?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Questions for the interview:

- How big are the campaign worlds? How many people can join a campaign? Is it more like a traditional MMO server in size, or a lot smaller (or is it defined by the campaign parameters)?

- If the worlds are smaller, how do you prevent big guilds from "rigging the game" (win swapping / just farming resources without doing pvp)?
This is in their Kingdom FAQ, well, kind of. They said the only limit on campaign worlds is hardware. They intend to have thousands in each campaign world.

iannis

Musty Nester
You'll never prevent big guilds from rigging the game as a developer. Any game more organized than a quick match of pickup basketball has a referee. You kinda have to go the EVE route and have an attitude of "If it is possible to do with the client, then it is not cheating".

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I wonder if they have any additional "reveals" held back in order to give it a day 15 shot in the arm should momentum become sluggish (even should it be well beyond 800k at that point). Likewise, what could the stretch goals, if any, be?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Stretch goals are Storybricks, the reveal for the collectible skill system and free multiclassing.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
but, there already is a collectible skill system D:

bro could you even imagine if they got storybricks?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Damnit Flex that was hinting at Crowfall turning into EQN, dont be so damn positive!
smile.png

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
no shit bruh

i'm full of 3 scoops of Jack3D so I'm pumped and positive.

53966.jpg

fuck directions and warnings

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I have been reading the through the Dev Tracker (Crowfall: MMO - Throne War Simulator) replies and here are some of the more interesting replies that I have found (through pp 18 roughly 20 days back):

4. Can the character appearances be customized?

Yes. We will offer the ability to customize your character (hair styles, color and face) in Character Creation. Further customization can be done in-game, by collecting equipment.
Centaurs current biggest negative is the warmth requirements. Not sure where they are going to get all that food in winter, the ganq squad quickly becomes the lame squad if your team has too feed that many of them.
This is why we have begun to head towards the Tera end of the combat spectrum. Their combat looks great, however the price you pay is animation locking. The worry about long animation locks is why we tried split body mechanics first. At this stage of the project we can make those large kinds of steering corrections, later on it is much more difficult.

Keep the feedback coming.
Combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other elements that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short ?locked? animation sequences ? chains which you can opt to continue or break, for a cost.)
The hard part about designing a game to have a real economy is that it permeates everything about the game. I mean, let's just backtrack it just a little, and you'll see what I mean.

You want crafters to matter. That means that loot can't be dominant over crafted items.
That means that killing monsters can't be the core activity of the game, it needs to support multiple pillars.
This blows up all your spawning system plans from the norm.
That means that your economy needs to support more than a simple faucet of goods and drains of resources.
That means you need decay or damage of some sort.
And potentially a different sort of banking system, potentially insurance, potentially repair...
That means you need item turnover, which means the death system needs to take that into account in terms of looting.
That means the combat system needs to take THAT into account.
That means the advancement system needs to account for the death system being unusual.
It also means the implications of things like soulbinding, level restricted gear, etc, all change.
If you're going to make the crafters matter this way, you need to design the maps around crafting.
Unless you want resource spawn camping, you need a different method for resource spawning.
If you're doing that, you may need entire skill trees, professions or classes built around harvesting.
If you're going to have a data rich environment like that, you may need a different database structure from the typical one for static worlds.
If you're doing a different database structure, are you enabling unique items?
If you are doing a rich environment, you have different kinds of data to hook AI onto.

You get the idea. Basically, it's a lot easier to decide to do this sort of an economic game, and then design everything else on top of it, than it is to try to glue or cgraft one into a traditional quest-and-level sort of approach. It has lots of implications about stuff like item turnover, crafter importance, what your loot tables look like, etc, and it completely changes stuff all the way down the basic data structures of the game.
In an ideal world all an MMO client would do is render the scene and pass input to the server where the simulation was happening. With improvements in hardware outstripping improvements in network infrastructure, we've been working out ways to spread this work out more and more, but today (depending on your setup) what is slowing down your frames per second is more likely to be render related than simulation.

Perhaps it would be more accurate for me to not categorize it in terms of CPU and GPU, but in terms of threads of responsibility, where rendering was chiefly the one dominating your individual frame timeslice (except in special circumstances). The nature of our voxel processing allows that to run concurrently with minimal disruption of the core client systems in a more traditional MMO, and potentially net us wins in terms of rendering as a whole.

The point I wanted to get across was that while at first blush it might be reasonable to think that in order to get voxels we had to make sacrifices elsewhere (like large scale battles), but I wanted to assure all of you that voxels exist to serve the vision of the game, not the other way around. The things that brought you to this game (like siege warfare) will not be watered down for the sake of shiny new tech.
That doesn't mean that the world will be constantly full of huge holes, however. We're thinking ahead with Terrain healing (And specific ways to prevent terrain healing, when required). It's top priority that the world still is playable, while allowing the freedom of exploration and destruction.

This technology offers us so much potential, it's important that we use it correctly!
Yes there will be some placing of structures but not to the degree of a game like Landmark. We aren't too keen on seeing recreations of the Battle of Hoth, giant Doctor Who Tardis, or massive starships like the Galactica all next to each other in a fantasy setting.
Our voxel implementation is primarily a CPU bound activity and benefits greatly from multi-core systems. The resulting geometry can be customized and optimized which actually helps in a lot of ways to alleviate GPU pressure. Because the vast majority of the world is dynamically meshed based on voxel data, things like LOD (Level of Detail) and culling (the world is already stored in a spatial tree) can become much more intuitive than dealing with a traditionally fixed and baked world.
Building DURING a siege? That would be absurd! It's unlikely we would allow that.
We're with you. Guilds need the tools to help maintain and grow. Without them they wither and die, or, splinter far too easily. We have no intention on letting our guilds just be a name tag and a chat channel.

As we get further into development we'll be able to more accurately say how we intend to support Guilds with their day to day functions.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gameplay combat with animation locking ? Welp I'm like, five minutes aboard the hype train and there's already a mandatory "Retarded Concept" station terminus happening.

iannis

Musty Nester
Animation locking i'm perfectly fine with in principle especially in pvp. It forces you to git gud and not just faceroll out spam commands. CH rotations are skill, bro.

Animation clipping is where shit starts to get gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Animation locking i'm perfectly fine with in principle especially in pvp. It forces you to git gud and not just faceroll out spam commands. CH rotations are skill, bro.

Animation clipping is where shit starts to get gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
agreed, with that said the devs said that changes are open and the combat system is still under examination

At this stage of the project we can make those large kinds of steering corrections, later on it is much more difficult.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Tera had the best combat and it was full blown animation lock. It adds new dimensions in combat that offer counterplay.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd rather have a fast-paced combat gameplay with skill GCD and cooldowns than being stuck to the ground just because I'm casting something. We'll see how it goes but I played both TERA and Neverwinter and combat there felt listening to an opera and the main guy stutters every 5 seconds.

Tera had the best combat and it was full blown animation lock. It adds new dimensions in combat that offer counterplay.
I totally disagree, I think TERA's combat was awful, but I agree counterplay is often lame.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
ok this started as questions for the interview but really just turned into a rant, my apologies.
it's somewhat related with the animation locking stuff and telegraphs but not really.

Ask them if they have ever played a FPS. Ask them if they remember the hotkeys most commonly used in FPS, or any other action combat game where things like movement and positioning matter. Let's not get too in depth here, i'm talking about your basic WASD.
Now ask them to look at a keyboard. and identify where WASD is and why that is chosen as the default movement keys in FPS. If you wanna get really crazy you can go with ESDF which gives you a few more keys in reach of your pinky at the cost of non-natural hand placement. Now ask them to count the fingers they have on one hand.

Now ask them to look at Wildstar or GW2 or any other fail half baked "action" mmo with telegraphs and dodges and alleged action combat and then look at what their default key mappings were for their hotbar. 1 through = right? or even worse whack-a-mole style hotbar games that have 3-4 full hotbars of abilities like EQ2 or SWTOR. Mouse Clicking hotbar buttons should never even be up for consideration for use, much less be more efficient than utilizing a hotkey in an action game, nor should macro-"MMO" style keyboards or 500 button mouses be "required."

ask them to place their hand on the WASD keys and realistically gauge how many buttons can be comfortably reached in a fast paced action combat PVP focused game. That number is about 8-10 in addition to the movement keys themselves and that should be the absolute maximum number of skills that can be accessed for any particular class/build/what have you.

If you wanna take it a step further, mouse look should be locked by default and disabled by either a key press or ui interaction. Is there a reason i need to hold down right mouse button the entire time i'm playing your game? unless i'm doing some UI/menu driven activity like a tradeskill or vendor my right mouse button is permanently depressed in most allegedly "action" mmo games.

I prefer Neverwinter combat to Tera personally but both were leagues better than anything in any other MMO fucking ever, so either one is fine. as long as GW2 or Wildstar isn't being used as a basis for anything other than what not to do.