Crowfall

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
---- Quick word on passive vs active skill training concepts ----

by ThomasB 6 hours ago in forum General Discussion in Concern Over Passive Vs. Active Skill Training

I'll weigh on this topic a bit with what we are thinking.

Skill systems that are usage based tend to lead to macro botting. In UO I'd always setup a machine to cast Kal Vas Xen An Flam all night long. In AC same thing, cast spells in the mana pool for weeks. EQ was much more limited, jump into a pool, press numlock and go away for hours, same result. I'm sure everyone could quote their own examples all night long. Everyone is worried about the new player, imagine telling a new player that before they can go play the game they need to AFK macro their character for a few days, then they can see what the game is like! As Todd likes to say "laaaaame!"
The problem with macro botting in a competitive environment is everyone has to do it, or you fall behind. It also becomes a straw man to point a finger at why you lost a fight.

How do we plan to avoid this? Limited gains on usage, lets say the first 10-20% of a skill can be gained this way. For you non EVE players the beginning of a new character is pretty drab and doesn't feel very good. We hope that the limited gains spice it up a bit in the beginning.

You may have noticed in our Centaur Polearm example the skill potential went from 1-175 opposed to EVE's discrete ranks of 1-5. We wanted to do this so you could feel gains happening all the time and not 1 rank point every 30 days. I can also say the amount of time to train from 150-175 may be crazy extreme for very little statistical gain, that time may be better spent getting a bunch of other skills from 80-100.

For crafting we might do an inverse and put the usage gains at the end of the spectrum requiring additives that are more difficult to get. However the bulk of their training will also be passive, nothing is worse to a player economy than thousands of pieces of extra equipment made for the purpose of skilling up.

There is a plethora of comments about "how will new players survive" because their skill values are so low. I would be more concerned about them not knowing how to block, or dash, or which powers do what. Numerical superiority may not save you when you go against a counter class who has figured out how to use all the tools available to that character. I have always admired how in EVE the new players who fly the smaller ships still have value in fleet battles webbing and jamming the bigger ships. I would like to think Crowfall would have roles like that as well, digging under castles, placing sapper charges, firing trebuchets, etc.

Passive training lets us all progress when we are sleeping, working, at school, etc. It's great knowing your characters are advancing when you aren't able to be online 24/7.
I like this, I've always been a fan of the EVE skill system (learning skills aside, those were dumb). I do hope that maxing out a specific line is as time intensive as it is in EVE, to make versatility vs specialization a real choice you might make. Ideally it would be open-ended with ever increasing costs.

Would you guys be fine with nameplates not showing at long distances but when within say 30m or spell casting range the nameplates pop up over their head?
Do you mean no nameplates or at all, or just the difference between 'Big Flex <Red Panda Pirates>' and 'A nameless troll invader'? I liked the way PS2 does it - no name plates until someone calls a player out, then it's visible for your entire team for a short while.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nameplates visible at all times or go home.

Can someone who played eve explain what it'd be like for a new player who was talented and had lots of time to play? How long would they have to play before they were competitive?

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Need the nameplates and also need cross faction communication. Not knowing who you are killing kind of sucks. There is no personal reputation being built

Lasch

Trakanon Raider

Can someone who played eve explain what it'd be like for a new player who was talented and had lots of time to play? How long would they have to play before they were competitive?
If you had someone telling you what to do and gjfting ships, you could play an important role asap. But you arent doing damage, just cc'ing in cheap frigates.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Jtodd on the topic of item exporting

--
by JToddColeman 24 minutes ago in forum General Discussion in What Is The Point Of An Amazing Koster Crafting System If Resources Are Random And Impossible To Export?
You're right, this will be a balancing act. We haven't locked down exactly how the export rules are going to work, and I would be very shocked if we nail it exactly on our first try. On the good side, we have the ability to tweak this constantly, as new Campaigns come online.

That said, I can tell from your examples ("what if I want to join a Campaign and not participate, just get resources?" and "can we have a Campaign that lasts 1-2 day days where you just give us materials?" defeats the point of the symbiotic relationship between the Campaign rules and the Economy system. If we didn't want you to have to rely on the Campaigns, we would just spawn materials on the EK and be done with it. If we didn't want the Campaign PvP players to have to rely on crafters, we would just drop the best items as loot.

The system is designed to force interaction with other players. That's the point. if it is too heavily weighted in one way or the other, then obviously, we'll fix that. We need a reasonable flow of supply and demand in both directions.

To answer your question, "what do I have to offer?" the answer is : crafted goods, obviously! If you are a great crafter, then you have a strong hand to bargain with. if not, then, then you suffer from the same fate as someone who is BAD campaigner, and as a result has a hard time compelling crafters to sell him any goods.

You're also forgetting that crafters will be necessary WITHIN the Campaigns, as well. You can always hire your services out, or take more risks in deeper Worlds to get more rewards.

As for item export, one clarification: it uses the inventory SYSTEM (the same way that banking in a traditional MMO uses the inventory system, i.e. the same icons, stacking rules and grid UI for item management) but that doesn't mean it's actually the same container as your inventory. The rules that we use to decide which of your scavenged items are kept (or lost) hasn't been strictly defined yet and we are definitely open to ideas on allowing some degree of choice... so long as the basic idea remains the same: Campaign winners get more, the Campaign losers get less, and that you get more rewards for participating in the "deeper" Campaign worlds. Higher Risk= Higher Reward.

Todd
ACE

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Hey Flex, set me up with a tour of the studio. ;D I think it's in Austin so I'll just make a fun trip of it. Will take pics of hot action.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit

That's a very difficult question. You would have to define "competitive" first because EVE is very sandbox. Regardless of activity you would need to know and understand alot of mechanics that are vastly different from your usual MMO, there's a nice learning curve image floating around but not looking for it from work.

As far as skill training is concerned you can fill some pvp tasks after a month if you focus on those skills, and do it well within like 3 months. Unless you have a corp right away that teaches you alot of stuff your knowledge of the game mechanics will probably be a bigger hindrance, followed by your ability to fund your losses out of your own pocket. I guess what I'm saying is it doesnt depend as much on the player himself and more on the corp and player circle he enters. If you already know people in .0 security space or low sec that take you in and pay your wrecks, you can take part in pvp very quickly. If you dont, you first need to find a way to finance your losses somehow. Usually that's pve (scanning/missions), harvesting/crafting (edit: or trading like Vit says, usually works better with some skill time invested to manipulate your orders at range, work margins etc - but everything in EVE works more smoothly with skillpoints invested) or factional warfare.

Caliane

anon is stupid and the worst ever.

That said, a system where ID is hidden might be cool, if an alternate means of ID for prominent pvpers is made.
Create a system where titles or nicknames can be applied. A Red Baron scenario.
Does the opposing faction get to pick your nickname they see? do you get to pick what they see?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't get too comfortable thinking that real problems can be solved by just spawning a new campaign with those rules. Not only does any new ruleset for a campaign need to be developed and tested (people underestimate how expensive this is), but when most people only play a game for a couple months and campaigns last for three, that campaign is entirety of the game to them.

I think right now people are buying into the different rulesets pretty hard and fill in all the details of a given campaign with their ideal snowflake ruleset. That will likely not be the case at all.

Vitality

HUSTLE
That will likely not be the case at all.
What makes you so sure? Why is it not that likely they would do a no map no nameplates "Dark world?" ala DayZ?

Also 3 months isn't a hard number to be basing campaign length on. That's the time limit for the bloodstone world sure. Not all the other ones (atleast not that they've said yet).

They've said shorter duration campaigns have lower export rates etc.

Way too early for anything but speculation at this point.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Every new idea spawning a new campaign is a terrible idea. If it were up to this thread there would be like 50 concurrent campaigns and each one would end up with like 30 people in it. Stop using it as the answer to everything....

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well it's not like they plan on just shitting out campaigns. They will probably put out new ones over time not every day.

League does this with temp game modes that are in rotation throughout the year. Could work like that.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's not hard to draw a comparison to PoE when it comes to unique campaign settings. They try a few for I think 3-month runs, and integrate some features that worked well into the base game. In addition, you have some other, shorter tests as part of the race events, recurring the good ones. I dont expect any more from Crowfall. It does take work to implement those rulesets, most of them probably need to run a certain amount of time to actually see if they are a good or bad ruleset, and so on. They cant simply test stuff on 48 hour campaigns all the time.

Considering all that, you might get the campaign you imagine, maybe I will get mine, and some others will. But like Tuco says the big majority will not see their special snowflake of a campaign.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What makes you so sure? Why is it not that likely they would do a no map no nameplates "Dark world?" ala DayZ?

Also 3 months isn't a hard number to be basing campaign length on. That's the time limit for the bloodstone world sure. Not all the other ones (atleast not that they've said yet).

They've said shorter duration campaigns have lower export rates etc.

Way too early for anything but speculation at this point.
A no map would would be cool. Especially if the different landmarks/villages/resources didn't have automatic name assignments. The community would be responsible for cartography and naming everything.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It's not hard to draw a comparison to PoE when it comes to unique campaign settings. They try a few for I think 3-month runs, and integrate some features that worked well into the base game. In addition, you have some other, shorter tests as part of the race events, recurring the good ones. I dont expect any more from Crowfall. It does take work to implement those rulesets, most of them probably need to run a certain amount of time to actually see if they are a good or bad ruleset, and so on. They cant simply test stuff on 48 hour campaigns all the time.

Considering all that, you might get the campaign you imagine, maybe I will get mine, and some others will. But like Tuco says the big majority will not see their special snowflake of a campaign.
Right, and in PoE they have a Hardcore and a Non-Hardcore ruleset for each season. Each with unique attributes and utilizing mechanics from previous seasons.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that whenever a new ruleset gets introduced it "COULD" have a Dark World version or a "Hardcore" version with certain things disabled like name plates or mini-maps/maps or even certain types of abilities and items.

They've already stated disabling features for campaigns is a thing. (No magic campaigns? Why not? in their words)

They're looking to the community for ideas on new world features.

I mean they could even make this player interactable mid campaign, say guild A destroys guild B's Vision Tower. BAM Guild B's maps are disabled until they build a new one. Why not?

Put up a confusion tower near your enemies base? Mini-maps, nameplates, friendly/enemy notifiers are disabled within a radius until it's destroyed.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Development time, generally.
Most likely yeah. Especially with such a small team. We don't have enough information to adequately judge this one though.

They're touting a large list of features with this game. I really hope Sentry towers with vision or anti-vision upgrades are thing at some point. Rustles my planetside jimmies.

I'd rather discuss this theory stuff here than on the general forums though.