Crowfall

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those have been on their front page for awhile, they were just "unlisted" on their YouTube account until today.

Regardless, more stuff is good stuff.
smile.png

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It's a little condescending to ask a game producer if he's ever played an FPS and to put his hand on a keyboard. Maybe you should phrase your question, "How many abilities do you expect a player to have access to during combat? Will it be the 50+ that WoW has, or more like 8 that ESO has? How do you plan on mouselook working?"

Personally I like the 50+ option with the caveat that many of those are situationally useful abilities.
As stated it turned into more of a rant rather than a question.

With that being said, condescending or not it's a topic that needs to come up, (obviously in a more softly worded diplomatic manner) as apparently nobody designing these games has ever played a FPS or looked at a keyboard. Otherwise, of all the wannabe action mmo games how the fuck is Cryptic Studios and their steaming pile of McFreemium dogshit ie neverwinter the only game to get it right? I don't even wanna know how many tens of millions if not more that the Wildstar team blew through building that game without a single designer taking 2 seconds and looking down at their keyboard, but that's exactly what happened.

It really comes down to a basic question which from what we've seen they've already answered. Is the combat going to be "action" based or hotbar based. Does movement and positioning (and even potentially targetting if they opt for reticle vs tab target system) matter, or does GCD monitoring rotation memorization matter? Again from everything we've seen so far it's going to favor action combat. Telegraphs (whether displayed or not), dodges, positioning, collision, physics, etc. I need to keep this guy in front of me and my back against the wall or he's gonna charge me and knock me into the lava, etc. If he does X i need to counter with Y or i'm gonna be stunned and he's going to get this spell off, etc. I need to watch whats going on on screen and react, not watch one of 6 hot bars for ability #74 to come off cooldown.

If you are going to do action combat it needs to be done right, or not at all. It's really easy to do hotbar combat. With few exceptions almost everyone else does, and the SOP is solid, just copy WoW, like everyone else does. Now if you are going to do action combat you need to stop and take 2 seconds and realize that the hotbar and number of abilities you give players to use is one of those things you need to NOT copy from WoW. Instead you should look at action based games like a FPS. Even 99 vanilla Everquest was more action-y than GW2/WS wannabe action games. It was First person by default, you only had up to 8 abilities (spells) usable at once (though most melee classes only had 2-3 + autoattack), and it's default hotbar was only 1-6, with Shift+1-6 available for more hotkeys. bank 1 being spells 1-4, Shift+2 for bank 2 being spells 5-8. All of those keys readily available without leaving WASD (even though obviously it wasn't needed since you couldn't manually dodge).

8-10 abilities really is the sweet spot, and that's including at least 1 mouse button free'd up from not having to hold down right click the entire time you are playing because mouselook isn't default always on. Do you need 5-10 buffs and clickies? either they are meaningless fluff in which case no, just include them in the default balance of the class, or they make or break combat in which case you autolose any fight in which you don't initiate and you are not prepared for.

There's a simple design concept in aviation (i'm military, previously worked on fighters, now i'm somewhat on the other side piloting drones) called HOTAS. Hands on Throttle and Steering. If you've ever seen inside the cockpit of an airplane you'll know that modern aircraft have about 1k switches and toggles and various assorted systems and functions in the cockpit. Modern fighter jets are the same, except that every single switch or the functionality of every switch which is necessary for combat is available without the pilot's hands leaving either the throttle or the stick. And neither one of those 2 things have as many buttons on them as that naga mouse linked.

An action combat mmo, especially a pvp centric action combat MMO needs to have a similar design philosophy behind it. WASD is throttle and your mouse is the stick. Yeah i've played enough badly designed games that I can reach over and hit 9 or = on my keyboard and quickly revert back to wasd but why the fuck should I have to do that? With 16 archetypes so far, i'd rather each having a handful of straight dmg abilities and a handful of special abilities with distinct animations that I can recognize and react to, in order to counter, rather than staring at a hotbar waiting for something to light up and react or heaven forbid, clicking it, in order to counter. In an action combat game I shouldn't have more abilities than keys I can comfortably reach from the WASD position and, more importantly, the default key bindings for those abilities should be those keys I can reach from WASD. FFS don't make them 1-0 because reasons. Idk, I guess cus WoW did it.

Slyas buy a fucking naga bro
Don't even get me started on the (abomination of) gaming mouses like the ones you linked. If your game requires having to thumb dial on a goddamn telephone of a mouse in order to play properly your game is not an action mmo. It's a gcd monitoring watch for flashing lights whack a mole hotbar game. And that's fine if that's what you are going for. There are plenty of rote pattern memorization games like that where everything is balanced on gcd activations per cycle and a mouse like that is the only way to improve your efficiency. But that's not what this game seems like it's going to be about, at least not from what they've shown us in pre-alpha videos so far.

Is the combat going to be "action" based or hotbar based.
From the video, the battles are very dependent on position. So dodging, positioning, and even jumping should be critical to battle.

If I had my way, I'd go for about 5-8 keys for action. The trouble is you need another set of buttons for mining/crafting. WoW had way too many hotkeys, but really using only roughly maybe 8 or so buttons the most. The only reason we had so many new buttons was because of talents and specialization. Then after expansions and level caps, new spells were added, bloating the whole thing up even more.

They can easily keep the number of buttons low if they implemented some combos which unlock new abilities. So Fireball + Frostbolt + melee attack = Fire/ice blast. Sequencing order would matter and that would make battles way more interesting.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably took whales a day to get a new credit card with 10k empty on it. Or took a few people some time to get funds together to go into it together.
Or maybe like most kickstarters it's pledges made by developers to attract whales.

Yea but... seriously though... GW2... ESO...
In ESO you can at least see anyone's name you just have to target them. Also there's adeath recapin case you missed which goddamn sniper ninja killed you from the other side of the map.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
If they decide to go the no name route, they could perhaps still show you the colors/heraldry of the guild or faction that killed you.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is the argument for no names again?
Arenanet's take on the subject :

There's been a lot of discussion about seeing enemy names in WvW. While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the request to see enemy names, we are fairly firm about not showing names of the opposing teams. I think of it this way, in a war people dont introduce themselves before trying to kill each other. When you are fighting in the mists for your world, you are in the middle of a giant war against two opposing forces who want nothing more than to take everything you own and kill you as many times as they possibly can. That guy who just shot you is not Bob the Engineer, he's the enemy.
Not showing enemy names in WvW also helps players that are less pvp-oriented feel less threatened about venturing into the battle because seeing enemies as anonymous 'invaders' creates a sense that opponents won't be able to recognize them and pick on them because of their lack of skill in a fight, so they in turn feel more embolded to go out and fight in the first place. Not showing names also makes it so people can feel as if they can 'hide' in a fight if need be, but still be around to help out. That's a pretty critical part of making WvW feel more inviting for people that would normally never think about playing PvP in any other game.
We've heard "I usually dont PvP, but I love WvW" again and again from people in our beta, so even though showing names might make for a more competitive pvp environment, we'd much rather create a game that is more welcoming for people that don't normally play the more hardcore PvP games. If you want to see enemy names and get to know the community of people you are fighting against, competitive PvP is the place to get that sort of thing in Guild Wars 2. WvW is the place where you fight with your friends and show your might against a faceless never-ending horde of enemies. It's not about taking names, it's about taking back that tower and claiming it for your guild so it can wave your flag right in the enemies face!

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
The problem with their initial reasoning is in war people don't come back to life after getting killed. I'm sure if people in the real world auto ressed after fighting a battle it would be much different.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Arenanet's take on the subject :
This reasoning is such a load of shit. WvW was really hurt by no nameplates because it accelerated the speed at which WvW felt repetitive. This was in addition to everyone having almost identical levels of gear after a month (Which I didn't mind) and classes being generally cookie cutter.

I couldn't bear to log into WvW after a few months because it was just the same fight over and over. This would've been helped if I could have the excitement of dying to and killing known people.

Vitality

HUSTLE
---- Quick word on passive vs active skill training concepts ----

by ThomasB 6 hours ago in forum General Discussion in Concern Over Passive Vs. Active Skill Training

I'll weigh on this topic a bit with what we are thinking.

Skill systems that are usage based tend to lead to macro botting. In UO I'd always setup a machine to cast Kal Vas Xen An Flam all night long. In AC same thing, cast spells in the mana pool for weeks. EQ was much more limited, jump into a pool, press numlock and go away for hours, same result. I'm sure everyone could quote their own examples all night long. Everyone is worried about the new player, imagine telling a new player that before they can go play the game they need to AFK macro their character for a few days, then they can see what the game is like! As Todd likes to say "laaaaame!"
The problem with macro botting in a competitive environment is everyone has to do it, or you fall behind. It also becomes a straw man to point a finger at why you lost a fight.

How do we plan to avoid this? Limited gains on usage, lets say the first 10-20% of a skill can be gained this way. For you non EVE players the beginning of a new character is pretty drab and doesn't feel very good. We hope that the limited gains spice it up a bit in the beginning.

You may have noticed in our Centaur Polearm example the skill potential went from 1-175 opposed to EVE's discrete ranks of 1-5. We wanted to do this so you could feel gains happening all the time and not 1 rank point every 30 days. I can also say the amount of time to train from 150-175 may be crazy extreme for very little statistical gain, that time may be better spent getting a bunch of other skills from 80-100.

For crafting we might do an inverse and put the usage gains at the end of the spectrum requiring additives that are more difficult to get. However the bulk of their training will also be passive, nothing is worse to a player economy than thousands of pieces of extra equipment made for the purpose of skilling up.

There is a plethora of comments about "how will new players survive" because their skill values are so low. I would be more concerned about them not knowing how to block, or dash, or which powers do what. Numerical superiority may not save you when you go against a counter class who has figured out how to use all the tools available to that character. I have always admired how in EVE the new players who fly the smaller ships still have value in fleet battles webbing and jamming the bigger ships. I would like to think Crowfall would have roles like that as well, digging under castles, placing sapper charges, firing trebuchets, etc.

Passive training lets us all progress when we are sleeping, working, at school, etc. It's great knowing your characters are advancing when you aren't able to be online 24/7.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
This reasoning is such a load of shit. WvW was really hurt by no nameplates because it accelerated the speed at which WvW felt repetitive. This was in addition to everyone having almost identical levels of gear after a month (Which I didn't mind) and classes being generally cookie cutter.

I couldn't bear to log into WvW after a few months because it was just the same fight over and over. This would've been helped if I could have the excitement of dying to and killing known people.
Being able to talk shit also makes it fun
smile.png

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with their initial reasoning is in war people don't come back to life after getting killed. I'm sure if people in the real world auto ressed after fighting a battle it would be much different.
Also typically in war after you die you don't get some 12 year old sending you stupid tells for the next hour describing how he teabagged your corpse.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also typically in war after you die you don't get some 12 year old sending you stupid tells for the next hour describing how he teabagged your corpse.
I don't know what kind of wars you've been fighting...

Seriously though, their reasoning is bogus. I'm all for realism, but trying to excuse anonymity in pvp by drawing real life comparisons to war is bullshit. This is a competitivegame. Not knowing who your opponents are does nothing but cheapen the experience.

If I am killed by someone, I want to know who it is. Likewise, if I kill someone, I want them to know who I am. How else can you build up a reputation? In EQ pvp there was nothing quite like going into an enemy-controlled zone and hearing people shout in the chat channels "Soandso is in the zone! Watch out!" What a great feeling it is to be able to inspire such fear
tongue.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
Would you guys be fine with nameplates not showing at long distances but when within say 30m or spell casting range the nameplates pop up over their head?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would you guys be fine with nameplates not showing at long distances but when within say 30m or spell casting range the nameplates pop up over their head?
I'd be fine as long as nameplates were visible within killing range. If they are too far to even read, who cares?