Cruella (2021)

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What makes great villains great is that you don't know everything about them. Hannibal Lector is another fine example. All we need to know to make him amazing is he is super smart, cultured, will kill for any reason (the orchestra player being out of key comes to mind) and he is a cannibal. When they showed us his "human" side he sucked.

Dr. Doom may be one of the few where this is an exception. Magneto also.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If Disney wanted to make a movie about a villain, they should do one about Shere Khan from Jungle Book series. That villain was bad ass and in multiple movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I keep trying to find a way that a movie focused on a character who hates puppies and wants them dead and skinned to make a coat is going to be a hit. Especially with kids as its primary demographic. I get a 101 Dalmatians movie focused on the dogs, but on Cruella?

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think after Maleficent is how these pitches get through. The first Maleficent was a big hit. The sequel made money as well, but 300m less.

The trend would seem to indicate the appetite isn't that big for these types of features but they hit enough for the greenlight. If Cruella flops I think that would be the end of the current meta.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You can't just have a single childless day-drinking 30-something white woman obsessed with fashion be a villain these days.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
movie is out for $30 on Disney+, theaters, and torrents

also lol spoilers for villain motivation and first 5 mins of movie

• 2Direct to DVD
  • 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They should have just had Cruellas parents get divorced while she was young and had a scene where the Dad happily accepts the family dog, a dalmatian, in exchange for never seeing Cruella again.

• 7Like

Mandriana

This definitely has that weird DC villain movie vibe. Not sure who the audience is here; it's easier to sympathize with the Joker than with a crazy bitch who wants to skin puppies.
*Shrug* Not her fault, the patriarchy made her do it. The Joker is entirely at fault though, patriarchy made him do it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
A friend said this had a "very Guy Ritchie feel to it"? It looks pretty try-hard.

Last edited:

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
movie is out for $30 on Disney+, theaters, and torrents

also lol spoilers for villain motivation and first 5 mins of movie

Un-fucking believable. Whiteness (with black spots) really *is* the devil. They could have had her getting raped by a guy from Dalmatia I guess but that would have been over the line for a kids movie? Guy from Dalmatia with a white and black spotted jacket killing her mom by throwing her off a cliff and mentioning dogs? Not enough merch tie-ins, I guess, there either. Doesn't make the villain sym(pathetic) enough.

Why does this movie exist? Fuck Disney.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Un-fucking believable. Whiteness (with black spots) really *is* the devil. They could have had her getting raped by a guy from Dalmatia I guess but that would have been over the line for a kids movie? Too on the nose, maybe?
True story, I was bit on both butt cheeks by my pet Dalmatian when I was very young. Dalmatian's don't like being imaginary horses, apparently. So they kind of are the devil. Those white devils!

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is fucking stupid. Why can't she just be crazy and evil?

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
image0.jpg

• 5Great Review
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
That review describes both halves of the intended audience for this movie: Fat middle aged Karens and Moms with Tasers. Some crossover between the two segments to be expected. Rounded out with car-crash watchers and kids. The Aristocrats!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Un-fucking believable. Whiteness (with black spots) really *is* the devil. They could have had her getting raped by a guy from Dalmatia I guess but that would have been over the line for a kids movie? Guy from Dalmatia with a white and black spotted jacket killing her mom by throwing her off a cliff and mentioning dogs? Not enough merch tie-ins, I guess, there either. Doesn't make the villain sym(pathetic) enough.

Why does this movie exist? Fuck Disney.
Nah, dalmatians are too lazy for that. Maximum effort = beer+beach.

• 1Worf

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Right, it's been normal for WB for years, but this is Disney going that route, which is very not normal for them.

Maybe we'll get "Ursula the Sea Witch: My Struggle" next.

You haven't been paying attention. Disney began systemically reforming their former female villains years ago.

Even skinning puppies doesn't make someone with a vagina (Can't call her a woman until she self identifies) bad.

• 1Like