Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
4a5IF9QdgAvEYoK2qHowooixtOQ.jpg

Title: Cruella

Tagline: Hello, Cruel World.

Genre: Family, Comedy

Director: Craig Gillespie

Cast: Emma Stone, Emma Thompson, Paul Walter Hauser, Joel Fry, Emily Beecham, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Chloé Booyens, Bern Collaço

Release: 2021-05-26

Plot: The evil exploits of Cruella de Vil, the villain from 101 Dalmatians.
This cast has an Emma, another Emma and an Emily. That must have been a confusing set.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, I'm positive anyone on sets with the Rock would just -love- calling him "Mr. Johnson" and I doubt he'd dissuade them. Ms. Stone or Miss Stone honestly sounds villainous anyway.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
what is the deal with this fad of making movies about villains in order to capitalize on the remains of franchises? soon we'll get to the point of them making a Mr Sykes or Ratigan movie?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
i'd be down with a Jafar movie tbh, the live action Aladdin movie had a real shitty Jafar

of course it won't happen, a movie starring a brown guy being the bad guy and murdering people would rile up way too many people

Cruella Quinn is bizarre but whatever, I guess its better than just faithfully adapting the cartoons and turning out boring, flat clones like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King.

Once Upon a Time had a great Cruella, even though the show mostly sucked.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Villains are often the most interesting characters, why wouldn't they want to capitalize on that? Problem is, I think, they tend to not understand why villains are interesting. Maleficent wasn't bad, just unnecessary and forgettable. Imagine them doing a prequel which delves into Anton Chigurh's backstory, shit would be awful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah. hard to say exactly. villain's are the most interesting as noted. since, they are flawed and angry. And good villains are angry for a reason, not just SJW "oh they are privilaged white males, that are angry at not being privilaged anymore!"
its the Superman is boring because hes perfect already. theres no story arch. Even with the hero's journey you have, the nobody, that has to grow into the hero, and most cases turns away at some point, spiderman no more!, before accepting they have to.

how a villain came to be is always interesting. very few start as crazy assholes.
And theres of course tons of examples, scarface, rambo, breaking bad, taxi driver, joker, etc...

I know there have been prequels in the past, that turn back the clock and feature the villain pre-villain. drawing blanks atm. black flag technically. I mean.. starwars.. But there also examples where it works.

Obviously these Disney ones are rough. Villain is not a villain at all, with Malecifant. and theres also Wicked.
hell, Cobra Kai flips it too.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The book of Wicked is clever and really flips everything in the Wizard of Oz on its head, the musical is a musical so meh. Or Cobra Kai, just checking out of of Daniel's perspective and getting Johnny's is enough to make a really interesting story. But the story has to come first.

Pinhead is a decent example, in the movies anyway haven't read the books yet. But he's fucking terrifying. Every question they answered, or attempted to, muted that horror a little. Their thinking is "oh people love Pinhead, let's give them what they want" not understanding that the last thing people want is to get backstory of Pinhead and to explain who he was as a human etc. Fuck all that, he should be butchering and fucking his was across various dimensions, he's an act of god, when they make him a person they kill the movies.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I like how the trailer was dancing around the fact that this characters main goal is to FUCKING SKIN PUPPIES

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The book of Wicked is clever and really flips everything in the Wizard of Oz on its head, the musical is a musical so meh. Or Cobra Kai, just checking out of of Daniel's perspective and getting Johnny's is enough to make a really interesting story. But the story has to come first.

Pinhead is a decent example, in the movies anyway haven't read the books yet. But he's fucking terrifying. Every question they answered, or attempted to, muted that horror a little. Their thinking is "oh people love Pinhead, let's give them what they want" not understanding that the last thing people want is to get backstory of Pinhead and to explain who he was as a human etc. Fuck all that, he should be butchering and fucking his was across various dimensions, he's an act of god, when they make him a person they kill the movies.
Disney Exec: Hey, let's put out a new movie!
Money guys: New IPs are hit and miss, expensive, and have a low ROI
Disney Exec: Let's convert YA Novels into Movies.
Money guys: Been done already.
Disney Exec: Well, what about twist endings, what about that guy? Let's get him.
Creative guys: Heeeeeee's pretty much done that a bunch now. No one doesn't expect the twist ending from him.
Disney Exec: I know! Let's go back and make heroes of all of our Villains. They were all women, right? DIVERSITY and TWIST and at the SAME time.
Everyone: Genius!

I mean, Disney was never a creative company: They were always mining older stories to give us what we loved. But cannibalizing their own stories to feed us villains as protagonists? Disney is exhausted as a company and we are potentially exhausted as a civilization.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
villains aren't interesting except as a secondary character and antagonist of the hero. Once you try to make the whole thing about them, you humanize them and make them more boring unless they get a villain of their own. especially using superficial and one dimensional characters like cruella or maleficient.

Disney is a symptom of the creative spirit in general in western civilization. look at Blizzard or most other triple A gaming companies, just churning out cheap variations of tired old IPs. Remakes and cannibalizations galore these days.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The book of Wicked is clever and really flips everything in the Wizard of Oz on its head,
To be fair, the Oz books themselves also flip everything in the Wizard of Oz on its head.

Those books were weird and meta for their day.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
villains aren't interesting except as a secondary character and antagonist of the hero. Once you try to make the whole thing about them, you humanize them and make them more boring unless they get a villain of their own. especially using superficial and one dimensional characters like cruella or maleficient.

Disney is a symptom of the creative spirit in general in western civilization. look at Blizzard or most other triple A gaming companies, just churning out cheap variations of tired old IPs. Remakes and cannibalizations galore these days.
"We live in a society... that doesn't want me to skin puppies..."

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
"We live in a society... that doesn't want me to skin puppies..."

exactly, the joker was also a bad movie, his "origin story" was ridiculous. better to just have him being dumped in acid and go crazy as an "explanation" if people need one. him starring in some kind of bad edgy version of the King of Comedy was just... ugh.

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users