Crusader Kings 3

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im playing as a jogger king. Pretty awesome so far, I married a "0" years old spouse loooooool.

I made my neighbor promise me his yet born daughter.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

haha. Pretty much. It hasn't worked out too well for me though.

Can't produce heir for ....a while. Its a beautiful African culture though, 11 years isn't that long after all.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure I understand how succession works.

I was playing as Ireland and conquered 70% of the island, and then my king died.

Instead of inheriting all his claims, my heir got one. Is that normal? Why didn't he become king like his father was? I feel like I just did 2 hours of work for nothing.

Also, is there any point to creating duchies?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Instead of inheriting all his claims, my heir got one. Is that normal?

Check your succession laws. You're probably under Gavelkind when what you're wanting is Primogeniture. Dunno how much things have changed since CK2 but that's a pretty basic one.
Also, is there any point to creating duchies?

Pretty much the same advantages/disadvantages as creating a kingdom or empire, just on a much smaller scale. Gives you a claim on de jure counties you don't control and a title to pass down.

Last edited:

Jozu

Failed on 3 straight campaigns as jogger kings. Time to assume white privilege.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I figured out how duchies work.

If you are a duke and you conquer another duchy, and then you die your son will get the primary duchy. But your younger son (if you have one) will get the second duchy.

Unless you have no second son. You can disinherit the bastards, but then they will hate you.

Or you could just gain the necessary prestige to change the law in your country, making it so your son will get all your titles when you die.

The point is, don't let your king die and your kingdom get separated. So fuckin' dumb.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So gameplay wise is there any reason to play this over CK2 at the moment? All that I've see so far that stands out is a skill tree, an ugly looking map and animated avatars.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah it's not like it's historically accurate for Europe to start with Gavelkind succession or anything.

You act like everyone knows that.

Anyway, my king died and instead of letting me play as his son... the prince... I became some random family member.

And then the son stripped me of my titles.

I really don't get how that happened. Aren't I playing as a lineage? Why did I suddenly become a second cousin? Even if he was elected as king, I should have become the prince who was not the king.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You act like everyone knows that.

Anyway, my king died and instead of letting me play as his son... the prince... I became some random family member.

And then the son stripped me of my titles.

I really don't get how that happened. Aren't I playing as a lineage? Why did I suddenly become a second cousin? Even if he was elected as king, I should have become the prince who was not the king.
You need to examine the succession laws of your title, there are a variety of differences. For example:

Tanistry is a rare succession method available only to non-Muslim characters who are also either Celtic-cultured or have either the Blood of Brian or Blood of Niall 'of the Nine Hostages' bloodlines.

In Tanistry, the heir is chosen from the ruler's dynasty by a realm-wide election. It is safer but harder to control than feudal elective.

I'm sure that most of the succession laws in CK2 apply to CK3 so you could try the wiki if there isn't a CK3 one yet.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aren't I playing as a lineage?

Technically you're playing as a dynasty, not a lineage. The direct lineage of House Capet died out 1328 with the passing of Charles IV, but the Capetian dynasty continued to rule France through House Valois and House Bourbon all the way until the French Revolution.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In Tanistry, the heir is chosen from the ruler's dynasty by a realm-wide election. It is safer but harder to control than feudal elective.

Yeah that is almost exactly what happened. Thanks for the heads up. I went and played as Bohemia, and found it so much easier.

Starting to think Ireland is actually just a trailer park. No infrastructure. No central authority.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah that is almost exactly what happened. Thanks for the heads up. I went and played as Bohemia, and found it so much easier.

Starting to think Ireland is actually just a trailer park. No infrastructure. No central authority.

Gavelkind is what destroyed the Carolingian dynasty. Hugh Capet started the tradition of having a son elected co-King in his own lifetime which is what eventually led to the tradition of primogeniture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users