Cubeworld

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I was finally able to buy the game yesterday morning. Play a little bit last night. Not bad, like to see about playing with some friends.
Will agree that Modding would be a nice touch for this game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought this game this weekend. Quite fun. Never tried Minecraft more than a few minutes, did not get into that, but played this for several hours. Level 8 fire mage now. Can see this game being huge if they manage to flesh it out a bit. However, even now it is fun to just run about and explore. Difficulty at the first levels feels like old EQ in that red con mobs are scattered around even in the low level areas. Gameplay for combat feels very responsive. If a mob shoots a spray of arrows at you, you can dodge individual arrows and not just the entire ability. To hell with witches and their laser spell though, that shit is massively OP.

It does need to be optimized. Eats up the memory after a while which tanks the FPS. For no reason that I can understand, there are some areas where it seems to go into negative FPS. Can be in a cluttered forest with NPCs and mobs everywhere with no lag, only to walk onto a plain with hardly a mountain in sight to have it lag so much it seems the game is completely frozen and you take 10 steps at a time. The menu lag can be bad as well. Can take several seconds to a minute to load even if there is no apparent lag from running around killing things. Kind of annoying to jump off a cliff, press glider only to crash into the ground, get stars on your head, then suddenly stand up with a glider. If you press multiple menu buttons while lagging like that, they will all pop up and off when the lag goes away.

It does help to go into your system graphical settings (catalyst or nvidia control panel) and set cube.exe to run using your graphics card. It still lags, but a bit less. This fix is more for those with stationary PCs with an integrated graphics card on the mobo along with a normal graphics card. For some reason Cubeworld likes to use the integrated cards. I think the menu lag is unrelated to that though.

But, certianly not dissapointed with the 15 euro value. Will keep playing it as they patch it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Sounds like some weird glitches or you have a 10 year old computer.

Aside from the lag, I believe that they are supposed to make certain spells have a chance to miss so casters don't destroy your face in 2 seconds. Don't quote me on that, I heard it elsewhere. I hope it's true.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like some weird glitches or you have a 10 year old computer.

Aside from the lag, I believe that they are supposed to make certain spells have a chance to miss so casters don't destroy your face in 2 seconds. Don't quote me on that, I heard it elsewhere. I hope it's true.
It is a laptop, but if I can run The Witcher 2 on medium/high I should be able to run Cubeworld in my humble opinion. Also, the FPS issues do not change at all between higher or lower resolutions.

Did check though, and there are quite a few threads where people post about the exact same problems. Some with far better specs than me.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
You just need to tell your video card to cap it's FPS. There are a few programs such as MSI afterburner.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
You just need to tell your video card to cap it's FPS. There are a few programs such as MSI afterburner.
I did enable Vsynch and triple buffering in the catalyst control center. Should that not cap it at 60 without the need of an additional program?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
UseRadeonProif you have an AMD card.

rrr_img_36197.png

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I am getting a kick out of training the friendly party groups I find. Getting XP from it also, good way to clear the reds. Tested out a boss in the area and it 1 hit 3 of the 4 party members then killed the last one, thing ran after me for what seemed to be forever. Best fun I have had in some time.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
UseRadeonProif you have an AMD card.
Tried that. The FPS meeter came up, a glorious 59-60 FPS. Log in, last time I played I changed the resolution down, so I changed it back to 1920, same steady FPS.

Run around, smooth as butter. After about 15 minutes it starts to drop, and it is the same thing. Single digit FPS that sometimes go up, then lag down even more to where everything skips. At one point I saw 60 fps again, but the menu lagged.

I think it is a ram issue. So the person who complained about my specs was probably right (though I still claim it is very unoptimized, but, it is in alpha so acceptable). I only have 4gb ram, which is little these days. I did a ctrl alt delete after the game lagged and Cubeworld was using nearly 2gb ram. Not sure how the world works. Maybe for every square that loads, the stuff that is there remains in the memory even though it fades from the field of view. Because the experience is the same every time. Fast in the beginning, slows to a crawl after I have run around for a while.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Potential good news for people who are still holding out hope for a modding scene for this game. The MCP team, the guys who are responsible for decompiling the Minecraft source code so modders can do their thing, are looking into how feasable it would be to do the same thing with Cubeworld.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Tried that. The FPS meeter came up, a glorious 59-60 FPS. Log in, last time I played I changed the resolution down, so I changed it back to 1920, same steady FPS.

Run around, smooth as butter. After about 15 minutes it starts to drop, and it is the same thing. Single digit FPS that sometimes go up, then lag down even more to where everything skips. At one point I saw 60 fps again, but the menu lagged.

I think it is a ram issue. So the person who complained about my specs was probably right (though I still claim it is very unoptimized, but, it is in alpha so acceptable). I only have 4gb ram, which is little these days. I did a ctrl alt delete after the game lagged and Cubeworld was using nearly 2gb ram. Not sure how the world works. Maybe for every square that loads, the stuff that is there remains in the memory even though it fades from the field of view. Because the experience is the same every time. Fast in the beginning, slows to a crawl after I have run around for a while.
That does sound like a memory issue; are you running 32 bit Windows?

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Potential good news for people who are still holding out hope for a modding scene for this game. The MCP team, the guys who are responsible for decompiling the Minecraft source code so modders can do their thing, are looking into how feasable it would be to do the same thing with Cubeworld.
If they manage it the dev's reaction to it would be a deciding point on whether I give the guy money. That and some digging/building mechanics.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've enjoyed it so far. My complaints with the current state of the game fall in line with others already presented. Boss HP scaling can get out of hand, caster mobs feel OP, things get repetitive, equipment variety is meh. However, the game does have an old school, vanilla EQ feel to it I like.

Unfortunately, my MP group fell through (distracted by Steam Sale offerings). I would eventually like to try out MP.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I really do feel like mods will make or break this game. I hope the devs realize this and even give ressources to make the moding community strive. This is a great engine and I'd love to see everything people can make out of it. I had a dream of someone modding a "moba" in 1st person perspective in that universe and how fun that could be ;p

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree. Minecraft wouldn't be a shadow of what it is today w/ out mod support (obviously). That was Terraria's biggest downfall, really (other than dev quitting) - remaining closed source. Too much evidence out there arguing the benefits of allowing the community to mod your game. Let's hope Picroma is as open minded as Notch......

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Minecraft mods were a happy accident, he didn't program in support at all and officially they still don't. People have to unobfuscate the code every time they patch to be able to work around it. Within 12-18 months official mod support will be in.

But completely agree, this chap "allowing" mods by not going out of his way to break them will be a big help to making the game much more successful. Then again, look how many copies Minecraft has sold on the 360 (multi millions!) with nothing but vanilla play available.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
By the way the newest update gives you some FPS control ingame. It also fixes some of the class bugs to balance the game.

Loved this game but now I'm just waiting for more content before I go back to it.